Default Shazam #2 spoilers and discussion

So yeah after last issues lead in of all Billy’s problems, both heroic and personal, he’s easily made it to Hell with his new friend and classmate Dane. And when I say easy I mean he literally just had to wave his fingers and they were there, and as it turns out Hell has gotten some renovations because it’s a mix of Vegas and I guess a carnival. Look I’m just saying if it wasn’t for the fire and brimstone it could be a nice place to visit.

But Billy is on the case for the rock of eternity...unfortunately Dane goes gambling. But thankfully Billy runs into a nice demon girl named Amoreena, who Billy seems quite taken with. Normally we would say he doesn’t have a chance in hell but here he just might.

Anyway Billy quickly runs afoul of the big boss in charge, mainly because Dane cheated while gambling. Oh and it turns out he’s Amoreena’s dad so...yeah Billy’s on the run after that. But thankfully Amoreena is quite helpful and he manages to find the rock of eternity, though it looks to be quite stuck in the ground. Like it looks really lodged in there, I do not know how he plans to get it out. But he doesn’t have time to think because Daddy Devil shows up with Dane all tied up and starts pitchforking the poor kid.

Thankfully Billy’s powers work...for a quick minute. Yeah he gets a good fight in but his powers fail him at the wrong time and he’s caught by demons in his Shazam form. Thankfully Dane shows up to help in a surprise transformation of his own. And this is where I got to put spoiler boxes because I got some thoughts on Dane.

spoilers:
    See Dane sprouts Angel wings, a fire sword, and calls himself Nevermore. He then claims he’s the son of the ruler of underworld and the future king of hell.

So with all that in mind, is it just me or is he related to either Neron or Lucifer? I say Neron because he’s the villain of this mini and the whole underworld thing makes me think of him, but the Angel wings makes me think Lucifer. Thoughts on this?
    end of spoilers

Either way I think it’s an interesting second chapter to Billy current story arc, I just really hope that it ends up going somewhere. That with his powers back he gets a solo series or something I don’t know. I’m liking what I see as a Shazam fan but I do hope this leads to greater things is all I’m saying.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Non-spoiler: We know Dane's Constantine's parentage. Dane is John Constantine's clone... His origin was revealed in the New 52. I remember from JLD. He is not a brand new character.

spoilers:
    Necro cloned him from John because of his demon blood, which when fully grown would allow his body to house a powerful demon, as well as for his magical aptitude. He was made to be a vessel. This demon "Nevermore," whoever that is, is likely the demon that Dane is currently host for. Probably like Raven, he can contain or release Nevermore at will but struggles to control him. That would be why she is teaching him.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Greta; 08-17-2021 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    Non-spoiler: We know Dane's Constantine's parentage. Dane is John Constantine's clone... His origin was revealed in the New 52. I remember from JLD. He is not a brand new character.

spoilers:
    Necro cloned him from John because of his demon blood, which when fully grown would allow his body to house a powerful demon, as well as for his magical aptitude. He was made to be a vessel. This demon "Nevermore," whoever that is, is likely the demon that Dane is currently host for. Probably like Raven, he can contain or release Nevermore at will but struggles to control him. That would be why she is teaching him.
    end of spoilers
    Okay now see that sounds cool so I hope it’s true. Plus Dane looks a lot like Constantine so I would not be surprised.

However the ending has given me a few doubts, but it’s a wait and see.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

This series has been a pleasant surprise. Sidelining the rest of the Marvel Family for the time being to focus on Billy has proven to be a smart choice. And leaning into the more whimsical tone is also a nice change of pace. Johns was hitting too many dour notes during his run.

I'm reading more for Dane and the academy than Shazam but I liked him here. He and demon girl are pretty cute together. I hope they keep in touch.

I'm hoping Dane is half angel instead of half demon.

Incredible Member

Liked the issue, much better than the previous one. I am surprised that Blaze or Satannus have not shown up in this...

BTW, I, too, am hoping for a "volume 3" for the character.

I loved the issue. Hope we keep getting more of Shazam in the future.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime