Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I'm actually surprised that they are going with relatively small IPs like Vixen, Zatanna and RHatO, I would have actually expected for them to use more popular IPs like Superman, Flash, Titans, Wonder Woman or Harley Quinn.
    I feel like they're B-tier brands and recognizable names rather than smaller IP's even if RHatO probably has the longest comic runs of either.
    Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    They seek to sell, that's why they put Batman everywhere, I accept it very well, but putting Zatanna or RH, before the rest of the JL, is something very different, DC appreciates the leftovers of the Batverse before the rest of its greats verses.
    I mean, Zatanna is one of their biggest magic heroes and an actual member of the JL, even if she's not Big Seven. Same with Vixen. And neither are Batman characters.

I like that Zee's story sounds as if it could be an adventure in the comics.

Thing is you need Batman to bring readers in, I mean just check out the number of likes WFA had on the first comics and the ones Vixen had.

Assuming those correlate to readers I think it is pretty clear why they have to lead with Batman over more obscure characters for people to check it out.
    In this case, it doesn't really matter for Batman to bring readers in because millions of people are using the Webtoon App already. Just because Batman is on Webtoon too, doesn't mean more people are going to read Vixen. Though it's not as if DC didn't try pulling the same move as in the comics. Bruce showed up in the 2nd Vixen chapter after all.

It's no surprise that Vixen isn't doing that well. She doesn't have that many fans in the first place and instead of staying closer to at least one of the interpretations fans might recognize (Comics, Arrowverse or DCAU) they went for a YA reinterpretation. It'll take time to gather fans from a largely new demographic, especially on a platform that's not too big on corporate comics. She's still doing better than Eternals (thought that was also available on Marvel Unlimited, I think.)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    In this case, it doesn't really matter for Batman to bring readers in because millions of people are using the Webtoon App already. Just because Batman is on Webtoon too, doesn't mean more people are going to read Vixen. Though it's not as if DC didn't try pulling the same move as in the comics. Bruce showed up in the 2nd Vixen chapter after all.

It's no surprise that Vixen isn't doing that well. She doesn't have that many fans in the first place and instead of staying closer to at least one of the interpretations fans might recognize (Comics, Arrowverse or DCAU) they went for a YA reinterpretation. It'll take time to gather fans from a largely new demographic, especially on a platform that's not too big on corporate comics. She's still doing better than Eternals (thought that was also available on Marvel Unlimited, I think.)
    Not to mention Webtoon is a double-edged sword, in the sense that there's so much content there it's difficult to be noticed without heavy promotion or being adjacent to a huge IP that's already popular in other mediums. WFA did well in part because it's Batman, but also because it catered to online fanon version of these characters while still being somewhat reconizable as the canon versions, to the point you can read that as an "extra" instead of an alternative version, like the silly mundane slice-of-life stuff that happens in-between the pages of the main comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagre View Post
    Not to mention Webtoon is a double-edged sword, in the sense that there's so much content there it's difficult to be noticed without heavy promotion or being adjacent to a huge IP that's already popular in other mediums. WFA did well in part because it's Batman, but also because it catered to online fanon version of these characters while still being somewhat reconizable as the canon versions, to the point you can read that as an "extra" instead of an alternative version, like the silly mundane slice-of-life stuff that happens in-between the pages of the main comics.
    Yeah, I kind of want to get into Webtoon but there's just so much content that I'm just not sure what's worth checking out

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    But if you start with Batman there is at least a higher chance the DC fans that didn't use webtoons before check it out.
    And even if webtoon gas allready million of users, they likely still want to grow (like all companies).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like they're B-tier brands and recognizable names rather than smaller IP's even if RHatO probably has the longest comic runs of either.
    Still neither Vixen nor Zatanna had ever a really long lasting solo series. In case of Vixen I'm not even sure if she has ever been a lead on successfully team book, for a longer period of time.

And while RHatO went on for quite some time it was often one of the lowest selling books that didn't get cancled.

I mean the IPs aren't toatlly obscure, and all there characters had enough exposure in other media to be the general audience, but they are imo still nearly as big as Superman, Flash, Titans, Wonder Woman or Harley Quinn.

Still neither Vixen nor Zatanna had ever a really long lasting solo series. In case of Vixen I'm not even sure if she has ever been a lead on successfully team book, for a longer period of time.

And while RHatO went on for quite some time it was often one of the lowest selling books that didn't get cancled.

I mean the IPs aren't toatlly obscure, and all there characters had enough exposure in other media to be the general audience, but they are imo still nearly as big as Superman, Flash, Titans, Wonder Woman or Harley Quinn.
    Yeah, but they're still prominent and recognizable characters for one reason or another and RHaTO has still had long runs. And they offer a different flavor than the Big Seven.

I'm actually surprised that they are going with relatively small IPs like Vixen, Zatanna and RHatO, I would have actually expected for them to use more popular IPs like Superman, Flash, Titans, Wonder Woman or Harley Quinn.
    I think it's a great idea to space out your A-list/popular IPs to maintain viewers in long run. One big IP with some B-list IPs at a time. There are chances that the big IPs readers would also take a look at DC other stories that out. I appreciate that Vixen and Zatanna got the chance now while the iron is still hot.

The Batman effect really felt on Vixen chapter 2 from the comments I see xd

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I kind of want to get into Webtoon but there's just so much content that I'm just not sure what's worth checking out
    Go with word of mouth. Tower of God and God of High School for example are the most often mentioned. Noblesse was one of the first. Of course all these are long series that's going on for years so that maybe daunting. I haven't read them.

Or just click anything from the genre or cover or synopsis you're interested and see if the first chapter captures you within the first few minutes. It's meant to be casually read on the phone so just spend your spare time to browse and leave if it's not interested then come back later.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 06-26-2022 at 01:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Go with word of mouth. Tower of God and God of High School for example are the most often mentioned. Noblesse was one of the first. Of course all these are long series that's going on for years so that maybe daunting. I haven't read them.

Or just click anything from the genre or cover or synopsis you're interested and see if the first chapter captures you within the first few minutes. It's meant to be casually read on the phone so just spend your spare time to browse and leave if it's not interested then come back later.
    Thanks for the advice .

BANNED

They put the Batverse because it sells, then Zatanna (a cousin of the Batverse) and company, I guess they also sell more than the JL. if DC does this for money (that's why the whole Batverse has a series) and not to promote lesser known characters, It's ridiculous that Zatanna has a series before any member of JL, unless for DC,Zatanna = JL.
    Batman in the Vixen series, it took a long time.
    Last edited by NaVi; 06-26-2022 at 02:02 PM.

They put the Batverse because it sells, then Zatanna (a cousin of the Batverse) and company, I guess they also sell more than the JL. if DC does this for money (that's why the whole Batverse has a series) and not to promote lesser known characters, It's ridiculous that Zatanna has a series before any member of JL, unless for DC,Zatanna = JL.
    That’s DC’s problem! They rely way too much on the same 6 characters over and over again to the point of where no other characters get attention or build up! I’m glad Vixen and Zatanna are getting some time to shine! We need more original female heroes getting time to shine and grow in popularity (Wonder Woman has been the only one for far too long)! I’m hoping Blue Beetle, Raven, Black Lighting and the Doom Patrol get a shot!
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

What do you have against Zatannna? Why do you think she's related to the Batverse? I don't really get it.

BANNED

1: I have nothing against Zatanna.
    2: For the general public, Zatanna belongs to the Batverse.
    3: What I don't like is the double talk. It's good that Batman is everywhere because he sells, it's good that Zatanna and Vixen have their series because that way lesser-known characters are given an opportunity. Is it a speech or the other.

1: I have nothing against Zatanna.
    2: For the general public, Zatanna belongs to the Batverse.
    3: What I don't like is the double talk. It's good that Batman is everywhere because he sells, it's good that Zatanna and Vixen have their series because that way lesser-known characters are given an opportunity. Is it a speech or the other.
    Do we know that for sure? Like, it's been a long-time since the DCAU, people probably associate Zatanna more with Constantine or maybe DC Super Hero Girls than they do Batman.

Why can't people be happy with Zatann and Vixen getting series?