Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I too love Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane and would love more series like that .

(Though we are getting the My Adventures with Superman cartoon which is advertised as a romcom...)
    I’m hoping they drop a Superman webtoon right around the time MAWS drops because I think there’s a lot of overlap between who the cartoon is looking to appeal towards and who Webtoon already appeals towards.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalguy View Post
    Honestly, a romance-leaning book could easily work, especially in this format. There are a bunch of iconic couples they can utilize. It's just a matter of who.

Go the simple route with Lois and Clark. Add a little spice with the Bat and Cat. Iconic couples like DickKory or GA&BC. More recent couples like Harley and Ivy. Dig into lesser-known couples like Midnighter and Apollo or John Stewart and Fatality.

An anthology series could be a remedy.
    Apart from pairings, which are a potential pitfall (though it doesn't necessarily seem to hurt the romance webtoons), I think an anthology webtoon is the absolute opposite of what would work. It's not a common format in the platform, and it's just too much of a "you can jump off here" problem. It's why I think almost all of DC's anthology series are super, super dead.

It's not the romance, it's the anthology. I think they should just commit to making romance a part of one of their series to see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Look, Webtoons is never going to translate to comic book sales - and it doesn't need to. Raising the image of other heroes has nothing to do with "our" comic books, our books are a non-factor - comic books is a diminishing market as is, it's not gonna grow. The point is raising the profile of characters so they can help make money elsewhere - merchandise. YA books, t-shirts, toys, key chains, coffee mugs, dolls, fuzzy slippers, whatever. Bumblebee was on DCSHG, she doesn't have a comic book true, but hey if some girls bought her dolls then WBD got money. That's the point of all these other appearances in other media outside our floppies and trades. It's never been about expanding our corner of book geekdom, it's about making money everywhere else. And there's nothing wrong with that. If the Vixen and Zatanna webtoons means that they don't see much comic book sales growth, but they still get some webtoons fans who enjoyed their webtoons comics and maybe buys a shirt with one of them on it later because it makes them feel good because they enjoyed the webtoon, I'd still say that's a win. Not everything is about increasing readership in the books we love - just getting the characters we love out there is pretty sweet regardless.
    I wish they'd do something like they did with the Walmart books - have a link or page or something advertising the LCS in the final panel of he webtoon.

But on the whole, I think it really is more about getting eyeballs and hearts invested in these characters, rather than necessarily growth in a specific market. And I think they do probably have a decent revenue from coin spending.

I also think that in 10-20 years, when people who fell in love with the webtoons grow up, there's a chance you'll see what happened with BTAS and the Teen Titans cartoon - they influence the creators, which influences the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’m hoping they drop a Superman webtoon right around the time MAWS drops because I think there’s a lot of overlap between who the cartoon is looking to appeal towards and who Webtoon already appeals towards.
    That is a very good idea. Let's hope DC has that good idea too!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I also think that in 10-20 years, when people who fell in love with the webtoons grow up,
    Is the target audience for webtoon even that young? I mean when you go on the page the first time have to type in your age since it is technically for adults only.

OK that's not really going to prevent anyone from reading these comics...
    Last edited by Aahz; 08-18-2022 at 12:42 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Go the simple route with Lois and Clark. Add a little spice with the Bat and Cat. Iconic couples like DickKory or GA&BC. More recent couples like Harley and Ivy. Dig into lesser-known couples like Midnighter and Apollo or John Stewart and Fatality.
    Sofar the viewer numbers of the books seem to be very dependent on the how popular and known the characters are.
    Something like Midnighter and Apollo would likely get pretty low views.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Sofar the viewer numbers of the books seem to be very dependent on the how popular and known the characters are.
    Something like Midnighter and Apollo would likely get pretty low views.
    Yeah, Midnighter and Apollo seem like a long shot. They're less known than...so many other DC characters who at least had an episode of JLU.
    But for the lgbtq romance angle there's always Harley and Ivy. Just make it different enough from the cartoon.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Honestly, a romance-leaning book could easily work, especially in this format. There are a bunch of iconic couples they can utilize. It's just a matter of who.

An anthology series could be a remedy.
    Honestly, if webtoon readers can digest romances set in fantasy worlds and survival horrors then a superhero world shouldn't be too complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I'm looking forward to the My Adventures with Superman cartoon more than just about anything else going on in this world right now precisely because it's pitched as a romcom first, with action. Romance can definitely easily work. People like romance, and it's weird sometimes to me that there's a section of comic readers who want to push so hard against that. Superheroes are primarily about action sure, but they've never just been about action. The soap opera elements have been there longer than any of us have been alive, the romance elements are part of the genre.
    Some people find romance plotlines annoying or distracting which is fair. But I don't get people who act like it's difficult for superhero stories to do them. It's been done before, especially in animated series like sailor moon, danny phantom, miraculous, and now superman.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Extraordinary Member

NYCC 2022: Webtoon reveals programming and panel schedule
    WEBTOON + DC: Building a New Generation of Fans and Heroes (Thursday, Oct. 6 at 4:45pm ET; Room 406.1) – Featuring David Lee, VP of WEBTOON U.S., Marie Javins, Editor-in-Chief of DC, and the creative teams from some of the most popular DC/WEBTOON titles. Moderated by Rosie Knight, host, producer and writer at Den of Geek.

I hope they announce some new series .

I will say, the Red Hood Outlaws series has been pretty fun so far.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Sounds cool! I bet they will. I bet they will also announced Wayne Family Adventures season 2, since that series is a runaway success.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member
    Last edited by Hypo; 09-27-2022 at 10:10 AM.

Looking forward to it .

Heh I'm enjoying a suprise guest star of Zatanna in recent Wayne Family Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Mai Zen View Post
    Heh I'm enjoying a suprise guest star of Zatanna in recent Wayne Family Adventure
    Dang, now I wish I could read ahead .