Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 119
  1. #91
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    What a breath of fresh air. I expect Marvel will do something like this too.
    Well Marvel did roll out their version of webtoon today, though its traditional superhero content on Marvel Unlimited, given the success of this though wouldn't be surprised at all to see Marvel try and get something out more in line with traditional webtoon content.

  2. #92
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    You summed it up pretty good, fear of more shit from DC is a real thing though lol.
    Yes, but here it seems an irrational fear, a mini-phobia of sorts. Rationally you should know that nothing from Webtoons and for the Tumblr crowd could ever dictate changes to the comics, however you know you don't like that, and you know things you don't like happen in DC all the time, so even if it can't happen you still fear that it'll happen. But rationally, it's not a good argument.

  3. #93
    Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Cairo, Egypt
    Posts
    728

    Default

    This Webtoon deal is honestly, the smartest move DC has done in a while.

    There is so much potential with this deal. It's a decently sized demographic, it's widely available as well as easily accessible in places where traditional comics are either hard or too expensive to come by and this could help get some new blood.

    Imagine if they would resurrect this canceled Superman Family cartoon as a Webtoon comic? Or a series set in the same universe of Superman Smashes The Klan, adapting other episodes from the old Superman radio serial? Or a Magical Girl style series of Stargirl or Amethyst Princess of Gemworld. Or a Blue Beetle series in the style of Japanese superhero hero shows like Ultraman or Kamen Rider. Or a Constantine series in the style of anime like Hellsing?

    The sky's the limit here.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

    Credit for avatar goes to zclark

  4. #94
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    Or a series set in the same universe of Superman Smashes The Klan, adapting other episodes from the old Superman radio serial?
    NO! No! No. That's Yang's. I don't want anyone else playing in that world. Just Yang. And if he has an idea for a sequel or spin off? I'd hope DC would be smart enough to let him.
    God that book was so good.

    Or a Magical Girl style series of Stargirl or Amethyst Princess of Gemworld.
    If done in the style of her DC Nation shorts I'd read it almost religiously. That was so cute and fun!

  5. #95
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    73,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    This Webtoon deal is honestly, the smartest move DC has done in a while.

    There is so much potential with this deal. It's a decently sized demographic, it's widely available as well as easily accessible in places where traditional comics are either hard or too expensive to come by and this could help get some new blood.

    Imagine if they would resurrect this canceled Superman Family cartoon as a Webtoon comic? Or a series set in the same universe of Superman Smashes The Klan, adapting other episodes from the old Superman radio serial? Or a Magical Girl style series of Stargirl or Amethyst Princess of Gemworld. Or a Blue Beetle series in the style of Japanese superhero hero shows like Ultraman or Kamen Rider. Or a Constantine series in the style of anime like Hellsing?

    The sky's the limit here.
    I'd be down for that .

  6. #96
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Here is another webcomics but it not on the webtoon instead.


    Teen Titans: Broken Youth is a fan comic that continues the story of Teen Titans (2003) after their adventures in Tokyo. It follows Robin, Raven, Cyborg, Starfire, and Beast Boy as they face their biggest challenge yet…transitioning into adulthood!

    Chapter 2: https://teentitansbrokenyouth.com/co...pter-2-page-0/

    READ From the beginning: https://teentitansbrokenyouth.com/

    Follow us for more updates, art, and mini-comics!

    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/teentitansbrokenyouth/

    Tumblr: https://teentitansbrokenyouth.tumblr.com/

    Twitter: https://twitter.com/teentitansby

    Here are the social media you can follow them if you want the Teen Titans story.

  7. #97
    Original CBR member Jabare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,665

    Default

    didn't realize this was under lifestyle. I thought we'd be getting superhero adventures. But I see this is the format they are going for.

    Might be a better idea to give some lesser known DC characters a series instead
    The J-man

  8. #98
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    5,289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    didn't realize this was under lifestyle. I thought we'd be getting superhero adventures. But I see this is the format they are going for.

    Might be a better idea to give some lesser known DC characters a series instead
    Why? They are trying to build an audience

  9. #99
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    11,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Why? They are trying to build an audience
    And they can't build an audience with say Vixen? Because the comic book side does not care for her?

    Yet as we have seen once you ignore the comic book side-everybody can seem to find an audience.

    Sooner or later you have to go beyond Batman and Superman.

  10. #100
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    5,289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    This Webtoon deal is honestly, the smartest move DC has done in a while.

    There is so much potential with this deal. It's a decently sized demographic, it's widely available as well as easily accessible in places where traditional comics are either hard or too expensive to come by and this could help get some new blood.

    Imagine if they would resurrect this canceled Superman Family cartoon as a Webtoon comic? Or a series set in the same universe of Superman Smashes The Klan, adapting other episodes from the old Superman radio serial? Or a Magical Girl style series of Stargirl or Amethyst Princess of Gemworld. Or a Blue Beetle series in the style of Japanese superhero hero shows like Ultraman or Kamen Rider. Or a Constantine series in the style of anime like Hellsing?

    The sky's the limit here.
    Stargirl and Ameyth would make great manga

  11. #101
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    And they can't build an audience with say Vixen? Because the comic book side does not care for her?

    Yet as we have seen once you ignore the comic book side-everybody can seem to find an audience.

    Sooner or later you have to go beyond Batman and Superman.
    I think they will - just because Batman is first and Superman will probably be soon doesn't mean they won't introduce other lesser known after. You need to hit with your big guns first to make sure the audience is there and that you've got their attention. The DCEU was started with Superman not Shazam after all, but we still got Shazam. We got the JLA before the JSA, but the JSA is clearly coming. The CW started with a Batman knock-off, Supergirl, and Flash, but we still got Black Lightning and Legends and animated Vixen and the Ray. This is the same, you start with the strongest property then introduce the weaker properties. Marvel did the same thing. The longer this deal, the more successful it is, the more we'll get things like a Vixen title, Black Canary, and others.

  12. #102
    Original CBR member Jabare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Why? They are trying to build an audience
    Batman and Bat books already have an audience.

    Now the webcomic is fine for what it is. I think it's cute; it looks like every issue stands alone. You don't need to follow each chapter to jump into the next one. I enjoyed the first three issues. However, when I read the latest chapter, it hit me that this is all I should expect.

    From a corporate standpoint (specifically branding), I believe another less utilized character would be more beneficial here.

    I'm also getting Titan vibes from this book. Meaning, I feel you could slide Titans characters in this comic and keep the same tone and character interactions this webcomic is lcurrently.


    But I get it Batman is DC. He is the pinnacle of their universe. Everything flows throw him, and he sits at the top, and that is a strategy that has served DC well so far.
    The J-man

  13. #103
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Batman and Bat books already have an audience.

    Now the webcomic is fine for what it is. I think it's cute; it looks like every issue stands alone. You don't need to follow each chapter to jump into the next one. I enjoyed the first three issues. However, when I read the latest chapter, it hit me that this is all I should expect.

    From a corporate standpoint (specifically branding), I believe another less utilized character would be more beneficial here.

    I'm also getting Titan vibes from this book. Meaning, I feel you could slide Titans characters in this comic and keep the same tone and character interactions this webcomic is lcurrently.


    But I get it Batman is DC. He is the pinnacle of their universe. Everything flows throw him, and he sits at the top, and that is a strategy that has served DC well so far.
    I disagree, I don't think another character would be more beneficial here - instead, another character would benefit more here, that's not the same thing. That said, it makes sense - Batman is most beneficial here to get eyes on this Webtoons deal, after there's an audience for DC on Webtoons then you introduce the characters who could benefit more from the exposure. There's no reason not to think non-Batman characters aren't in the pipeline.

  14. #104
    Original CBR member Jabare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I disagree, I don't think another character would be more beneficial here - instead, another character would benefit more here, that's not the same thing. That said, it makes sense - Batman is most beneficial here to get eyes on this Webtoons deal, after there's an audience for DC on Webtoons then you introduce the characters who could benefit more from the exposure. There's no reason not to think non-Batman characters aren't in the pipeline.


    I don't think they are doing anything that innovative in terms of webtoons. It's different for DC, yet based on the first four chapters, I don't know if this will significantly grow Batman's brand. I think it's a good exercise and experiment for DC.

    I think the stories are cute, fun, and easy to read, but the type of content matters to a degree too. And I'll always argue for a well-done unique property over more of the same. Again, I get it Batman's the bell cow, and he's always a safe choice in DC's eyes because he always does well when they put him out there. However, If you're a big company like DC, you can afford to take risks on something like this. Webtoon readers are always hungry for content, and frankly, it sells itself. Webtoons are a free medium (with a paywall for the impatient) with very few barriers to entry. There are literally hundreds of isekai stories right now, and people enjoy them, at least in the beginning. They are very appealing, but most are very similar, and readers drop off eventually. That's why the novels that break out from the mold tend to stand out.

    Webtoons aren't like comics in the sense that you have to buy them. If people hear something good, they'll gravitate to it. It's free. Plus, Webtoons take a little while to build up. You get a new issue every week, but the average reader consumes one chapter very quickly. If you're a lucky reader, you come into a webtoon after it's been going for three to four years so you can read it for hours.

    Again my two cents after reading the fourth chapter. I guess I was anticipating more of a narrative arc, as you see from some more popular webtoons, but we will see what happens.
    The J-man

  15. #105
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I don't think they are doing anything that innovative in terms of webtoons. It's different for DC, yet based on the first four chapters, I don't know if this will significantly grow Batman's brand. I think it's a good exercise and experiment for DC.
    I agree it's not doing anything innovative - I don't know why you bring that up? Innovation has nothing to do with this. It's not about growing Batman's brand, I think you've got the wrong idea on the point of this. It isn't about making characters a bigger brand, they're not out to make Vixen or Black Canary or Red Tornado bigger brands with this. They're trying to get into another market and revenue source outside of the dwindling comic book market. Batman will net them more people giving their first entry in this different market a try than anyone else would, and that's the whole point for this first title.

    I think the stories are cute, fun, and easy to read, but the type of content matters to a degree too. And I'll always argue for a well-done unique property over more of the same. Again, I get it Batman's the bell cow, and he's always a safe choice in DC's eyes because he always does well when they put him out there. However, If you're a big company like DC, you can afford to take risks on something like this. Webtoon readers are always hungry for content, and frankly, it sells itself. Webtoons are a free medium (with a paywall for the impatient) with very few barriers to entry. There are literally hundreds of isekai stories right now, and people enjoy them, at least in the beginning. They are very appealing, but most are very similar, and readers drop off eventually. That's why the novels that break out from the mold tend to stand out.
    I get that's what you want, but you can't convincingly argue that's what DC should do - starting off with the safe choice is almost always the best choice, as far as starting moves are concerned. Can they afford to take big risks? Sure. Is there any incentive for them to do that as their first Webtoons title? Not really, no. Webtoons readers might always be hungry for new content, but that's not a reason to start with the more obscure characters. You get an audience for DC on the platform first, then introduce Animal Man and Ambush Bug. Again, this is just the start. It makes sense to start safe. But we know more titles and characters are coming. They don't need to be the first to star, they just need to get there.

    Webtoons aren't like comics in the sense that you have to buy them. If people hear something good, they'll gravitate to it. It's free. Plus, Webtoons take a little while to build up. You get a new issue every week, but the average reader consumes one chapter very quickly. If you're a lucky reader, you come into a webtoon after it's been going for three to four years so you can read it for hours.
    That's good - if we're lucky, DC will have years to put up such stories.

    Again my two cents after reading the fourth chapter. I guess I was anticipating more of a narrative arc, as you see from some more popular webtoons, but we will see what happens.
    Eh, narrative stories are the big hits, but slice of life is a pretty steady and safe genre. Like I said, for just getting started on the platform it's not a bad choice. Narrative stories are inherently riskier. Besides, it's something different for Batman, and it's helping to acquaint people more with the extended Bat-family.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •