Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Just for fun I looked up how many solo comics, set in the main continuity, with their name on the cover Vixen and Zatanna have.

Vixen has only 6, a 5 issue mini and her Rebirth Special
    Zatanna has 26, a 16 issue "ongoing", two 4 issue minis and 2 one shots.

When it comes to the popularity on webtoons, WFA has (when I understand the stats on webtoon correctly) about 47,6 million views, so a little over 1 million per free chapter, Vixen has just a little over 640K views, so about 80K viewes per free chapter.
    So WFA has about 12-13 times more readers.

80k in the direct market would make Vixen one of DC’s best selling books. Goes to show there’s an audience for these books, it’s just not in the DM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    80k in the direct market would make Vixen one of DC’s best selling books. Goes to show there’s an audience for these books, it’s just not in the DM.
    Problem is most of that audience isn't paying to read.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Some will if you put it in a format they can find and actually buy.

There is a reason trades actually sell.

And still why is it an issue when DC (and Marvel) try to use certain characters?

If this was Peacemaker would anybody care? NO. It would be kudos for DC trying this with Peacemaker or Booster Gold or Last Boy on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

There is a reason trades actually sell.

And still why is it an issue when DC (and Marvel) try to use certain characters?

If this was Peacemaker would anybody care? NO. It would be kudos for DC trying this with Peacemaker or Booster Gold or Last Boy on Earth.
    Hey, I agree that books with these characters are a good thing, my only point was you can't point to non-paying readers to the same degree of success. I wasn't arguing that these characters shouldn't get books, I'm not one of those guys.

Extraordinary Member

You could say the same for WFA, 1 Million copies for one issue on the direct market would be absolutely insane.
    Only way to get that many sales to the direct market today to the direct market would be with pretty crazy Variant Cover scheems, at that would likely mean that about 90% of these comics will never be sold to customers, and are just collecting dust in the storages of comic book stores, who drastically over ordered to get those valuable variants ...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    But if we assume my 80K readers per issue is correct (I have no idea how webtoons counts readers), about 25% of them would need buy a book to get it to numbers were it sells just sells enough to keep going on the DM.

Not sure that that's a realistic number.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Some of the WFA readers have started looking for trades and DCU subscription, but from my experience in the fandom, a lot of new readers don't even know about Comixology, or even their availability in local libraries

I only know you can preorder physical copies from Midtown and have it shipped to your address one-two years ago when an editor tweeted it

They really need to start putting links in ads, and not just on the comics itself, but youtube videos, their own official tweets, and so on. I'm on Youtube all the time but I never get an ad saying buy your comics here from DC.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 07-03-2022 at 05:20 AM.

Anything Batman-related is objectively more popular but Vixen has only 8 free chapters out now and views on webtoon stack up over time. Some users may pay to read more chapters but the majority are waiting for it to be free and binge-read, that's how webtoon's always been. It's how the Riverdale webtoon about a side character has over 18 million views, that has 43 free chapters.

I'm not saying the webtoon's doing amazingly but Vixen has never been a best seller and platforms like webtoon that let you grow over time are better for smaller characters like her.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Hey, I agree that books with these characters are a good thing, my only point was you can't point to non-paying readers to the same degree of success. I wasn't arguing that these characters shouldn't get books, I'm not one of those guys.
    But the majority of webtoons readers are not paying for anything. That platform's biggest audience is teenagers and young adults, they read on webtoon because it is free. But even the ones who pay on webtoon are not paying that much. What would get you 1 issue on ComiXology would get you 10 chapters on webtoon.

How does Webtoon make a profit?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

How does Webtoon make a profit?
    ads + people using money to get fast passes and daily passes.

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Anything Batman-related is objectively more popular but Vixen has only 8 free chapters out now and views on webtoon stack up over time. Some users may pay to read more chapters but the majority are waiting for it to be free and binge-read, that's how webtoon's always been. It's how the Riverdale webtoon about a side character has over 18 million views, that has 43 free chapters.

I'm not saying the webtoon's doing amazingly but Vixen has never been a best seller and platforms like webtoon that let you grow over time are better for smaller characters like her.
    I agree. I wasn't really arguing that they shouldn't do these books - just saying that you can't translate them to sales. But yes, getting characters out there to boost their popularity and recognizability is a good thing.

Looking good!

Artemis really looks like an anime girl.