Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    Idk. I learned not to get excited for DC books anymore b/c it'll most likely just be Batman.
    I don't think it's ever just Batman. Mostly Batman yes, but not just only. I'm hoping for a good Superman story as well, and if we're lucky Wonder Woman as well. Since I'm more of a Trinity fan than the rest of the wider DCU as long as I get at least a little for one of those two that's actually substantively good I'm happy. Frankly I think Superman does better when aimed at a little younger audience usually (or maybe I'm still biased cause of how good Smashes the Klan was).

Webtoons are super popular, but they don't generate a lot of money outside the very top series I think. So I do wonder how this will work out. Like I don't think Western creators are going to be able to move away from traditional comics and try their hand at a webtoon series given the lack of revenue, so I guess they will be relying on more amateur creators or non traditional comics ones. Then of course webtoon's style are very different as well, so it will be interesting to see how the DC characters are used in that style of stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    (or maybe I'm still biased cause of how good Smashes the Klan was).
    That series apparently had somewhat lower than expected sales in 2020 going off the new yearly bookscan reports. So I don't know if the critical praise lead to that much reader interest. I guess the sales were higher than typical Superman stories though, but it just never became a big hit I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    That series apparently had somewhat lower than expected sales in 2020 going off the new yearly bookscan reports. So I don't know if the critical praise lead to that much reader interest. I guess the sales were higher than typical Superman stories though, but it just never became a big hit I guess.
    That is sad. Very sad. One of the best superhero books ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    That is sad. Very sad. One of the best superhero books ever.
    Seems it sold a little over 8K in 2020 in trades. So more than any other Superman story I think, but didn't quite reach that next level audience to become more of a hit maybe.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

This is great news and I'm glad to see the general reaction here is positive. Hope they put out some content I enjoy too, but this is instrumental in reaching a new audience. Sad to hear the architects of the deal are no longer with the company, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Seems it sold a little over 8K in 2020 in trades. So more than any other Superman story I think, but didn't quite reach that next level audience to become more of a hit maybe.
    Give it time. It'll have legs.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Very smart and long overdue. It's where the industry is going. Webtoons and Manhua have overtaken manga in popularity over the last two to three years.

I love several webtoons. The only knock I'll say is that many webtoons are written in a different style. It can take a while to get a substantive story from a Webtoon unless it's been out for a while. Because those weekly releases are short, often ending many chapters on cliffhangers.

Still, it's a smart move and a future-thinking move. Hard copy comics will continue to decline in sales. They had to move to a more sustainable model, which can be easily monetized. A good test for DC.
    The J-man

As someone who only learned of Webtoon because of this thread, is there any Webtoon comic recommendations someone can mention in a superhero vein to see what this might wind up looking like?
    Also, can you get it on your laptop or is this one of those smartphone-app-only deals?

Extraordinary Member

Batman: Wayne Family Adventures finds the Dark Knight needing a break, but with the newest addition to the Bat-Family, Duke Thomas, moving into Wayne Manor to join an endless supply of adopted, fostered and biological vigilante children, Bruce Wayne finds himself with his hands full. Is being a father harder than being Batman? Readers will find out when the first episode of Batman: Wayne Family Adventures is available later today.

Last edited by Hypo; 09-08-2021 at 07:38 AM.

It looks cute and will appeal to fans of the greater Bat-family. I...am less interested. The family has never interested me even remotely as much as just Batman or Batman and maybe one or two family members tops, and certainly the family's never interested me sans Batman - but I do understand that on that account I'm in the minority here on CBR. Like I said, looks cute and I'll check out the free chapters at least, but it's not really a comic for me.

I’ll happily take an equivalent for the other major families (Super, Wonder, GL, Flash, etc), the lesser known members of those families are dying for content right now. A big “Family” book for each group would be hugely successful, I know I’d sub to Webtoon to read a Superfamily comic with Kenan and Steel in it for example.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

*sighs* And this is why Marvel, Indies and even Manga continues to get my money. DC really doesn't care anymore. Batman this, Batman that. Most if not all Marvel characters are well known to this generation. They actually know how to push other characters. DC is just too narrow-minded.
    "Fresh air is the best therapy."

Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    *sighs* And this is why Marvel, Indies and even Manga continues to get my money. DC really doesn't care anymore. Batman this, Batman that. Most if not all Marvel characters are well known to this generation. They actually know how to push other characters. DC is just too narrow-minded.
    It's only one webtoon. I'll wait to see what more we get, although I'd say they do push other characters even if Batman and his associates gets pushed the most.

It says in the announcement that stuff for other characters is coming, Batman goes first because he’s the most popular and successful, simply the reality. Given the heavily fanservice pandering of this first project, I do wonder what the equivalent for the other “groups” is going to be. Not into fan fiction so I don’t know what they want from Superman or WW for example (beyond shipping them with Bat characters )
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

Batman being first was predictable (and if we're being honest, definitely the right choice to test the waters). I'd expect Superman, Flash or the JL to be next, maybe WW, GL, the Titans or the Suicide Squad after them.

I'd assume the easiest thing to do would be to just make some family sitcom for every property that allows it the way they're doing with Batman, but maybe they'd want to broaden their appeal. I'd say office romance for Superman & Lois, but that's already the pitch of their upcoming cartoon, so... some Superman Rebirth-inspired take? JL is an office comedy, Suicide Squad is a more mean-spirited office comedy, Titans a teenage sitcom, no idea for the rest. I'd bet anything that, if there's a GL webtoon coming out, Jessica will be the protagonist (for various reasons).

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It says in the announcement that stuff for other characters is coming, Batman goes first because he’s the most popular and successful, simply the reality. Given the heavily fanservice pandering of this first project, I do wonder what the equivalent for the other “groups” is going to be. Not into fan fiction so I don’t know what they want from Superman or WW for example (beyond shipping them with Bat characters )
    I tremble in fear at the thought of a tumblr-inspired take on Clark's and Kon's relationship used for drama (though if used for comedy it could be pretty funny).
    Last edited by Quinlan58; 09-08-2021 at 10:21 AM.

Spectacular Member

The biggest reason why Batman is overused can be solely traced to the inability for the DCEU to hard reboot their franchise

If we had a real thriving cinematic universe…lesser known characters would HAVE to be focused on

We would have had a challengers of the unknown movie and an ongoing right about now, we would have had the most obscure characters getting focus because the cinematic universe pushes them

But we don’t

The big reason why new gods got cancelled is because it has nothing to do with Batman

Proving once again that the DCEU needs to hard reboot
    Last edited by Vathlonian; 09-08-2021 at 10:34 AM.