Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Not really into the webtoon stuff but I can see the merit with starting with Batman and branching out into other stuff
    A lot of the fans on this site and the internet have a Batman complex that clouds their good judgement you don't launch a new endeavor like this and use characters with limited to no viable fanbase not to start it out that would kill the momentum of the move

Thankfully DC doesn't listen to the angry fans too often this is a another good example of fans being wrong about something

interesting how they made Damian's skin tone darker
    The J-man

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Thankfully DC doesn't listen to the angry fans too often this is a another good example of fans being wrong about something
    I am sorry is this a threat so that you want DC only focus on Batfamily only and no other brands. Good Luck, wish you get a bad karma.
    Last edited by LAWtoyoto 432; 09-08-2021 at 09:52 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Not really into the webtoon stuff but I can see the merit with starting with Batman and branching out into other stuff
    A lot of the fans on this site and the internet have a Batman complex that clouds their good judgement you don't launch a new endeavor like this and use characters with limited to no viable fanbase not to start it out that would kill the momentum of the move

This comment is going to age like milk when not a single character outside of the Batman family has a WEBTOON comic

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It says in the announcement that stuff for other characters is coming, Batman goes first because he’s the most popular and successful, simply the reality. Given the heavily fanservice pandering of this first project, I do wonder what the equivalent for the other “groups” is going to be. Not into fan fiction so I don’t know what they want from Superman or WW for example (beyond shipping them with Bat characters )
    The most popular Superboy in fan circle is Jon (the kid one, not the teen one) with his interaction with Damian and people also want him to meet Nightwing.

Conner used to be really popular, but New 52 did a number on him and Tim (of course the content is shipping goggles) since they're so different and reset to the beginning. 90s Kon tend to be more popular than the 2000s Kon, and there's a lot of art on 90s Young Justice. Aside from the ship, it's the fun Young Justice trio interaction that they like. Tim and Kon parenting Impulse.

Superman's most popular content is either Superman/Batman shipping or him being the cool uncle to the Bat fam, since the Bat fam's fan comics are the most popular.

As for Kara, it's the TV Supergirl Kara x Lena pairing. Comics Kara have fans, but don't show up to an annoying number.

What they want from the canon Super fam is more interaction within the family, The Bat fam don't have good relationship most of the time, but when there's a Batman event, they gather in droves. The recent Super titles are mainly about Clark, Lois and Jon, with the most gathering I remember was the Super fam vs Anti Superman squad in Rebirth, and they don't have Conner.

They're also really annoyed at aging up Jon and the cancellation of Super family cartoon

Oh some of them also want multiple Superboys to interact. 90s Kon with Young Justice Kon with New 52 Kon and New 52 Jon and little Jon with Chris Kent and little Jon viewing all of them as big brothers.

They want more Super pets too. All of them.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 09-08-2021 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    To be fair I never understood why Damian looks identical to a 10 year old Bruce. He should look a little like his mom too.
    Last edited by Johnny; 09-09-2021 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    The most popular Superboy in fan circle is Jon (the kid one, not the teen one) with his interaction with Damian and people also want him to meet Nightwing.

Conner used to be really popular, but New 52 did a number on him and Tim (of course the content is shipping goggles) since they're so different and reset to the beginning. 90s Kon tend to be more popular than the 2000s Kon, and there's a lot of art on 90s Young Justice. Aside from the ship, it's the fun Young Justice trio interaction that they like. Tim and Kon parenting Impulse.

Superman's most popular content is either Superman/Batman shipping or him being the cool uncle to the Bat fam, since the Bat fam's fan comics are the most popular.

As for Kara, it's the TV Supergirl Kara x Lena pairing. Comics Kara have fans, but don't show up to an annoying number.

What they want from the canon Super fam is more interaction within the family, The Bat fam don't have good relationship most of the time, but when there's a Batman event, they gather in droves. The recent Super titles are mainly about Clark, Lois and Jon, with the most gathering I remember was the Super fam vs Anti Superman squad in Rebirth, and they don't have Conner.

They're also really annoyed at aging up Jon and the cancellation of Super family cartoon

Oh some of them also want multiple Superboys to interact. 90s Kon with Young Justice Kon with New 52 Kon and New 52 Jon and little Jon with Chris Kent and little Jon viewing all of them as big brothers.

I would read a comic with 90s, YJ, and new 52 kons in a heartbeat for sure lol. Throw in the other couple handfuls of versions of him and I would be the happiest guy on the planet.
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I just hope this doesn't make people take it as canon enough to assume the characters are always like how they're depicted in a webtoon.
    With the Batfamily there’s so much content elsewhere that it’s not a problem. Even if they do think that, it’s no different from how the HQ cartoon has a very divergent take on the DCU from the mainline verse. Stuff like this will hopefully get them to read more and if not what’s the harm?
    Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post
    Oh god no. Clark can’t be the deadbeat dad to Bruce’s reliable cool dad portrayal in the Webtoon series. That would make Clark look worse in comparison to Bruce, and we need less of that for a fresh audience. Lex being the deadbeat dad to Kon would be funny though, similar to something from Reign of the Supermen. Mix that with a Rebirth Superfam setup and I think that’s a solid pitch.

I think Clark should get to play up being the world’s best Superdad. I know Taylor has a reputation for writing fanon characterizations, but something in the vein of his style I can see doing well (with more Webtoon friendly art)

Ugh now that you mention it, Taylor would be perfect for stuff like this, he basically writes fanon already. Seems he missed his calling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Just like Jason’s white hair streak, darker skin Damian is apparently a staple of Batfamily fanfic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Shocker, kid Jon was very fanfic-y I can see why he’d appeal to them.

All of that makes sense within the context of tumblr/shipping communities. The Kara/Lena ship I am aware of because of how it reached Twitter lol.
    What they want from the canon Super fam is more interaction within the family, The Bat fam don't have good relationship most of the time, but when there's a Batman event, they gather in droves.
    On that I totally agree, I’d like to see the Superfamily team up more, they rarely do so.
    The recent Super titles are mainly about Clark, Lois and Jon, with the most gathering I remember was the Super fam vs Anti Superman squad in Rebirth, and they don't have Conner.
    Bendis had the entire “core” Superfamily team up minus Steel and Kenan, but Romita Jr drew it and they hate Bendis I assume so not surprised that went unnoticed.

Hah well thanks for sharing. I do wonder what form the other projects will take, could be a good way to give a lot of them what they want. But I personally dislike having the Batfamily show up in Superman books. I’d read a Superfamily book but not one that made them side characters to big up the Batfamily which is unsurprisingly how most of this audience uses the Superfamily.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Lmao I’m guessing Clark would be a deadbeat dad in line with YJ. Which wouldn’t be quite out of character given how he treats Kon and Kara initially but still pretty crappy.
    He was only a "deadbeat" for precisely one season.

Even then, I think there is a big difference between a child and a clone created without your knowledge or consent.

All-New Member

Looks like partnering with Webtoon is already paying off. This was an unusually smart decision from DC. This interpretation of Batman and the Batfamily will also appeal strongly to the teenage young adult demographic that are the platforms primary audience as well.

I'm curious to see what they do next. There's a lot of potential here. I selfishly want Supersons and think it would do well but fate has never been that kind to me.

I think this would truly pay off if some of those folks end up buying the comics. Otherwise it won't be much different than the people who go to see the movies or watch the cartoons but couldn't care less if DC closed its doors tomorrow.

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oddish1 View Post
    I'm curious to see what they do next. There's a lot of potential here. I selfishly want Supersons and think it would do well but fate has never been that kind to me.
    I think they could release a Super Sons webtoon to tie-in with a possible animated movie. A webtoon would do much better than the recent standalone maxis. Those monthly floppies are the wrong medium for the Super Sons audience, considering the low sales but high social media engagement.

The vertical ratio is ah...gonna take some getting used to.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    The vertical ratio is ah...gonna take some getting used to.
    It's meant to be read in smarphones and pads, if it helps.

Extraordinary Member

Marvel announced their new "Infinity Comics" which copy the webtoon vertical scrolling format.

Interesting contrast to the DC/webtoon launch which is only using Batman but appears to be trying to appeal to the non-traditional comics market while Marvel is rolling out content with a much wider wider array of characters but doing it in away that will only appeal to established comic book readers.