Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vathlonian View Post
    This comment is going to age like milk when not a single character outside of the Batman family has a WEBTOON comic
    This. DC tends to take the wrong lessons from things. They'll look at these numbers and say "Let's make more Batman Webtoons" Future State was a success but meanwhile the only ongoing focuses on Gotham. It's really sad.
    "Fresh air is the best therapy."

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    He was only a "deadbeat" for precisely one season.

Even then, I think there is a big difference between a child and a clone created without your knowledge or consent.
    Oh I know, but fanfic exaggerates/flanderizes characters as the Batfamily Webtoon proves. Nuance is not something you will find in fanfic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Marvel announced their new "Infinity Comics" which copy the webtoon vertical scrolling format.

Interesting contrast to the DC/webtoon launch which is only using Batman but appears to be trying to appeal to the non-traditional comics market while Marvel is rolling out content with a much wider wider array of characters but doing it in away that will only appeal to established comic book readers.
    Pretty much sums up the difference between the two: DC focuses on Batman to the exclusion of all else, while using him to try new stuff. Marvel focuses on everyone but wants you to come to them.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I mean, are we really assuming all of DC's webtoons are going to be Batman at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, are we really assuming all of DC's webtoons are going to be Batman at this point?
    Plus, didn't they already announce a bunch of them wouldn't be.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Bendis had the entire “core” Superfamily team up minus Steel and Kenan, but Romita Jr drew it and they hate Bendis I assume so not surprised that went unnoticed.
    Oh yeah now I remember. That event showed up on soc med, but as usual there's complaint on why it has to be Romita on art.

They do hate Bendis for aging up Jon.

Extraordinary Member

I'm definitely not assuming that, just commenting on the launches.

Nope, I’m expecting there will be more since that’s what the announcement said. We might have to wait a while though. Even if others are getting stuff, it’s telling that the only thing they’ve got ready for launch is a Batman project though. If this had flopped they wouldn’t have even taken a chance on anyone else.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    The most popular Superboy in fan circle is Jon (the kid one, not the teen one) with his interaction with Damian and people also want him to meet Nightwing.

Conner used to be really popular, but New 52 did a number on him and Tim (of course the content is shipping goggles) since they're so different and reset to the beginning. 90s Kon tend to be more popular than the 2000s Kon, and there's a lot of art on 90s Young Justice. Aside from the ship, it's the fun Young Justice trio interaction that they like. Tim and Kon parenting Impulse.

Superman's most popular content is either Superman/Batman shipping or him being the cool uncle to the Bat fam, since the Bat fam's fan comics are the most popular.

As for Kara, it's the TV Supergirl Kara x Lena pairing. Comics Kara have fans, but don't show up to an annoying number.

What they want from the canon Super fam is more interaction within the family, The Bat fam don't have good relationship most of the time, but when there's a Batman event, they gather in droves. The recent Super titles are mainly about Clark, Lois and Jon, with the most gathering I remember was the Super fam vs Anti Superman squad in Rebirth, and they don't have Conner.

They're also really annoyed at aging up Jon and the cancellation of Super family cartoon

Oh some of them also want multiple Superboys to interact. 90s Kon with Young Justice Kon with New 52 Kon and New 52 Jon and little Jon with Chris Kent and little Jon viewing all of them as big brothers.

They want more Super pets too. All of them.
    Going to be honest - if DC decided to let the shippers have what they want and did Kon-x-Tim and Bruce-x-Clark as official out of continuity stuff like these Webtoon comics, I'd be 100% okay with that move personally, and I'd have a hell of a laugh reading the upset posts of some folks here getting bent out of all shape over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I think this would truly pay off if some of those folks end up buying the comics. Otherwise it won't be much different than the people who go to see the movies or watch the cartoons but couldn't care less if DC closed its doors tomorrow.
    I think it's more the opposite side of the coin - the point isn't to try and get them to read the comic books - that's largely a dying medium. Eventually the traditional comic book model will die. The point is DC's aware that the model will die and needs to find other platforms to tell these stories so they're in a position to move on when our comics are dead. They're not using this as a bid to save the comic book market, they're actually taking the first baby steps to move on away from this doomed market.

Not saying comic books are going away, not this decade or the next, but eventually this market of older fans is going to crater, and when it does DC will have already established itself on the platforms that will continue on. So, this is a pay off indeed, but not in the way you think. Comic book sales isn't the pay off, survival of DC's characters and storytelling post comic book is the payoff.

Spectacular Member

Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman family sitcoms would smack

I'm afraid the only webtoon we can expect for Wonder Woman would be a sitcom starring the Olympian gods. Which wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't tainted by the Daddy Zeus origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Going to be honest - if DC decided to let the shippers have what they want and did Kon-x-Tim and Bruce-x-Clark as official out of continuity stuff like these Webtoon comics, I'd be 100% okay with that move personally, and I'd have a hell of a laugh reading the upset posts of some folks here getting bent out of all shape over it.

Well thank god your not in charge, or the shippers..

How about we just present the characters correctly from start to finish for a change
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vathlonian View Post
    Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman family sitcoms would smack
    I'm not up on my lingo here - are you saying that they'd suck or that they'd be great? Sorry, just not up on what smack means in this context.
    Either way I'd personally enjoy such sitcoms myself. Not sure if that puts me in the majority or minority of the fans here...

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I'm afraid the only webtoon we can expect for Wonder Woman would be a sitcom starring the Olympian gods. Which wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't tainted by the Daddy Zeus origin.
    I know a lot of fans despise the Zeus origin with an ungodly passion, but I personally don't mind it. Plus demigod or golem it really shouldn't have an impact on most stories.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    Well thank god your not in charge, or the shippers..

How about we just present the characters correctly from start to finish for a change
    For a change? Isn't that how they're presented 99% of the time? Elseworlds aren't that common, outside media appearances, which this sort of pseudo-counts as I think, aren't as common as the comic books. So frankly, wouldn't such a thing where that happened actually be the "for a change" take?

More likely some shipping thing with Bats and Supes.

Or a BFF thing with Poochie Quinn.
    Last edited by Gaius; 09-09-2021 at 02:50 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Not saying there aren't any, but the ones I saw are not interested in the Greek Gods. If there's a family time, they want Diana, Donna, and Cassie, and now Nubia and Yara.

Otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    More likely some shipping thing with Bats and Supes.

Or a BFF thing with Poochie Quinn.
    Mainly Batman for Justice League watcher but non comic reader
    SMWW seems limited to the New 52 fans.

That said, I'm not sure if the fans of both these pairings read Webtoon. I'm not getting any vibe.

A lot of Wonder fan content actually comes from comics reader, because for the longest time, with the exception of Justice League cartoon, they don't get any depiction of Wonder Woman in other media. So naturally, most Wonder fans would be comics reader.

After the movie though, there's an increase in Steve-Wonder fans, whose wish is so that they can both be happy together... and then there's the Barbara Minerva x Diana fans because the way she acted was like she has a crush.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 09-09-2021 at 03:00 PM.