Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How often do you go read your old comics?

Title says it all. How often do you go back and read all the comics you have collected over your life?

Right now I'm re-reading Punisher War Journal. I own the whole series. I forgot how good it was.

What about you?
    Last edited by InfamousBG; 08-17-2021 at 09:00 AM.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

BANNED

Depends on the storyline. Some I might pull out once a year, others I may not have read since they came out. Usually read TPBs instead of back issues, easier.

Boisterously Confused

I'm on a second run through of about 15 titles each from The Big Two. I read them by cover date, completing one month of each title before moving onto the next month. I started from January 1955 and am now at July 1966. To me, it's interesting to see how each company changed over time. Where I am right now in the reading, 1966 Marvel seems to just be committing line-wide to the idea that readers of the time were older, staying with titles longer, and seemed to value richer, broader subplots and situations, while DC was still much closer to its early Silver Age habits and tropes. 1966 is still the Silver Age, but especially at Marvel, you could feel the change coming, spreading from Spider-Man out to the other titles.

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    Title says it all. How often do you go back and read all the comics you have collected over your life?

Right now I'm re-reading Punisher War Journal. I own the whole series. I forgot how good it was.

What about you?
    These days, a lot more often than I'm buying / reading "new" comic books.

For most of my life, I used to re-read my comicbooks over and over again. Nowadays, I try to re-read less, to leave more time to new comics and books. Still, I love to go back and read stories I like (and some that I dont't)
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

When I was a kid, I re-read the comics we had a lot because there was no internet,etc. I still will go back and re-read a series I enjoy. Marvel Unlimited makes it much easier these days then going through long boxes. And I have a number of TPBs and volumes of the Marvel Masterworks. A lot depends on the writer and the characters involved.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-17-2021 at 09:14 PM.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    When I was a kid, I re-read the comics we had a lot because there was no internet,etc.
    Same here. I re-read everything I bought at least once before the next issue came out. Once all this adulting stuff kicked in, that went by the wayside. Now, I can't keep up with new books, and I'm always a month or so behind. Can't remember the last time I had the time to re-read something before the new issue hit the stands.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Same here. I re-read everything I bought at least once before the next issue came out. Once all this adulting stuff kicked in, that went by the wayside. Now, I can't keep up with new books, and I'm always a month or so behind. Can't remember the last time I had the time to re-read something before the new issue hit the stands.
    And sometimes I buy stuff and then don't get around to reading them. I have the 2 TPBs of Hickman's Black Monday Murders to get to some day!

I pretty much only read old comics now, albeit exclusively digitally on my new Kindle Fire HD 10. Currently re-reading Uncanny X-Men (I'm at the start of Dark Phoenix saga), original Marvel Star Wars series (beginning to end) & New Mutants (just started Demon Bear saga).

I did enjoy some of the recent DC Future State titles and I'll probably buy the Gotham title when it gets collected in a trade (I don't mind waiting and single issues are just too expensive). Same with Superman and the Authority, which looks interesting.

Nothing Marvel publishes has tempted me for many years.

Mighty Member

I got books I plan to give another read (those being Miller's Daredevil, Millar's Ultimates, Lee/Ditko Spider-Man) but for the most part, it's partly what i plan to do a reread in a few years which excites me.
    I've always said how much I look forward to going through all my old comics, finding Morrison's Green Lantern and giving that another read. Or going back and reading HOXPOX.

The same with Ultimate Spider-Man, I'll probably go back to that every few years, but reading at a slow pace.

Astonishing Member

I've been reading Marvel's silver age for about a year and i think I'm getting burnt out. The stories are entertaining but there's so much dialogue. I'll never again complain that a modern comic takes me 10 mins to read.

Not too often, but I am currently reading my old Cable stuff from the 90's.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikedesil View Post
    Not too often, but I am currently reading my old Cable stuff from the 90's.
    Last weekend I came across a long run of Cable in one of my local shops bargain bins. I got #48-75 (some $1, some $0.50), all Robinson and Casey stuff that I missed the first time around, but have since read good things about. Looking forward to reading some this weekend!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Last weekend I came across a long run of Cable in one of my local shops bargain bins. I got #48-75 (some $1, some $0.50), all Robinson and Casey stuff that I missed the first time around, but have since read good things about. Looking forward to reading some this weekend!
    Oh very cool! They were good runs. I'm on #37 coming up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I've been reading Marvel's silver age for about a year and i think I'm getting burnt out. The stories are entertaining but there's so much dialogue. I'll never again complain that a modern comic takes me 10 mins to read.
    I grew up on those comics and I still go back and read them. I just bought Vol. 5 of the Marvel Team-Up series and plan to re-read all those issues.

It's kind of bittersweet because many of the issues are written by Bill Mantlo. He is one of my favorite Marvel writers in that era I recall reading that the brother who was his caregiver had passed away. I don't know what his status is now. If you recall, he was badly injured in a hit and run accident when he was riding his motorbike in NYC many years ago. He had left comics when he got his degree in law. I think He did get some money from when Disney stepped in to buy Marvel. He is the credited creator of Rocket Raccoon and co-creator of Cloak & Dagger.