Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Rorschach #11 Preview

Rorschach #11 Preview
    Writer: Tom King
    Artist: Jorge Fornés

Man this comic is interesting. And it uses the various timelines in a digestible manner, unlile Batman/catwoman. And it's totally inoffensive to the origonal Watchmen. I which more people would talk about it here.

About half way through this series I was admittedly kind of bored. Maybe I just wasn’t in the mood at the time for this type of story. But the last few issues have really been great. I reread the series up to this point and I have to say I was very wrong in my initial reaction. Though King does have a problem with dragging things out way too long. Strange Adventures could have been 8 issues and I think this one could have been a bit more streamlined if it was just 10. It may be editorial asking him to do all of his stories as 12 issues maxiseries.

I had a theory about the unnamed detective becoming Rorschach. I'm curious if that's gonna happen now.

It felt like a horror story.

I'm really confused about what actually happened during during the assassination night.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I'm really confused about what actually happened during during the assassination night.
    I read it as Hurley trying to set up Myerson and the Kid as patsies. His campaign wanted an assassination attempt to tarnish Redford. Oates was the inside man.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I had a theory about the unnamed detective becoming Rorschach. I'm curious if that's gonna happen now.
    It very much seems that way. BUT the cover to issue 11 pretty much shows this which seems too early to be an indication of the actual ending to the series. I'm personally very impressed with the story being a well thought our detective story where details are found out during the investigation.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I read it as Hurley trying to set up Myerson and the Kid as patsies. His campaign wanted an assassination attempt to tarnish Redford. Oates was the inside man.
    Yes I got that, what I didn't understand was the details of the event. Like, what happened with the phone call?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Yes I got that, what I didn't understand was the details of the event. Like, what happened with the phone call?
    Which phone call?

The one from Oates assistant? The truth seems to be that she never called to report (but was instead forced to record her suicide confession and then killed), but instead one of Turley's men reported that the old man and kid are on the scene.

If its the phone call to Oates, Turley's men pretended they were calling from a Redford line, so that anyone investigating would think it was Redford's people contacting Oates.

Incredible Member

I'll have to reread earlier issues since I am still confused on some points.

Did the Old Man and Kid know they were being played or is this the protagonist just figuring it out himself and his stream of thoughts is using them to vocalize it?

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    I'll have to reread earlier issues since I am still confused on some points.

Did the Old Man and Kid know they were being played or is this the protagonist just figuring it out himself and his stream of thoughts is using them to vocalize it?
    This is a big question. Last issue, I believed that the detective "talking" to the Old Man and the Kid was a way of working out clues and details for him. Now, with the Rorschach stuff, the feeling goes from that to a choice between the detective being mentally ill or there really is something supernatural going on.

And rereading is something I need to do after every new issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    About half way through this series I was admittedly kind of bored. Maybe I just wasn’t in the mood at the time for this type of story. But the last few issues have really been great. I reread the series up to this point and I have to say I was very wrong in my initial reaction. Though King does have a problem with dragging things out way too long. Strange Adventures could have been 8 issues and I think this one could have been a bit more streamlined if it was just 10. It may be editorial asking him to do all of his stories as 12 issues maxiseries.
    I agree, I think DC is mandating the 12 issues for trades and the stories weren't created to be that long.

That said I think both books are good.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I agree, I think DC is mandating the 12 issues for trades and the stories weren't created to be that long.

That said I think both books are good.
    King is doing a good job of showcasing an interaction an issue, even though they appear stretched out to fill the issue. I can see DC's desire to put King into 12 issue blocks. He's had amazing success and critical acclaim with previous 12 issue stories. But if a story was only fitting ten issues, would that really hurt trade sales? Are fans really that superstitious thinking that 12 good (Mr Miracle, Omega Men, Vision, Sheriff Babylon) and less than 12 bad (Heroes in Crisis)?

It’s an unpopular opinion here but King is by far my favorite writer in comics today. And this series rivals Mister Miracle as his finest work to date. I am so happy that DC is keeping him busy.