Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

It’s entirely possible that whatever Hickman does next won’t fit cleanly into the typical franchise boxes as we know them at present. Think of Kurt Busiek’s the Marvels ongoing.

Comic Herald said it best on his YouTube channel, that, from the way Hickman talked on his exit interview, it would be disappointing for him to just move to another monthly. I kinda agree that he’ll either be working on big marvel universe architecture stuff or be given his own world to play in (maxi series etc.).

That said, I would love to see him write a big asgardian Thor story.

Comic book herald has a great interview with si. Saying Hickman is still the head of x sort of

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Source? 10char
    My imagination
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Quote Originally Posted by Psyknight View Post
    Are these guesses or spoilers?
    Just throwing ideas out there.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Quote Originally Posted by gambitxremy View Post
    Comic book herald has a great interview with si. Saying Hickman is still the head of x sort of
    See, now I’m starting to think that this ”next big Marvel thing” for Hickman is some sort of editorial position. At first I was thinking Eternals or Inhumans because those are the only big(ish) franchises he hasn’t touched aside from solo characters like Spidey which I don’t see him being interested in at all. But now that I think about the whole Substack move where Hickman basically tries out his own line of books and the fact that he talked about having gained new experiences as head of x in his farewell letter and how he isn’t interested in a monthly book format anymore I kind of get the impression that he has negotiated with Marvel about becoming some sort of editor. It would make sense why he talked so vaguely about his ”next big Marvel thing” instead of ”next big Marvel book”.

Yeah, I think it could be a big event or something like that.

Incredible Member

Well, he actually *should* do a solo Spidey or Daredevil story, imo. Not just to prove his range, but more importantly, if he did a huge, expansive, world-building story with many layers and characters involved, the fans will not trust Marvel to allow him to finish his story again. That's what was lost with Hickman leaving the X-line -- trust. Which was already scarce for fans who read the Big 2.

What has Hickman wrought? I think Hickman has done things no other writer has been able to get done with the X-Men or any Marvel Comic for years and years, perhaps even decades.

Before going into that, I believe Hickman is out the door as a writer of Marvel Comics. How is he going to launch his own line of comics via Substack if he is busy writing Marvel Comics? It’s pretty clear from his writings about his Substack that he will be focusing on that.

If you notice what Hickman and the other X editorial staff have said about Hickman’s future at Marvel, it is more big plans, not continuing on with his X story or directly writing anything for the X line.

I do not see us EVER getting exactly what he had planned for the X-Men. HoX/PoX/Dawn of X and whatever was to follow are effectively over. I don’t see him writing that story, not now and not two or three years from now. There maybe elements of what he planned in the books over the next couple years, but I don’t see that actual story ever getting written. It’s vaporware that did not pan out. It’s not even stillborn.

From an artistic standpoint, was that story — just Hickman’s story — a success or failure? For a long time, I was very excited about Hickman and the HiX-Men. I made a lot of criticisms on this board, but I was withholding my personal judgment on the entire story until it was told. Now that it’s pretty much over, I have an opinion. My opinion on the artistic merit of Hickman’s story is, basically, it’s an abortion.

The characters are out of character. The actual Moira X storyline contradicts everything we have known about these characters before now. We’ve got insane Grey-Summers-Wolverine throuples and adult characters acting like children. The X-Men and their associates have gone from being integrationist heroes and a compelling metaphor for dealing with oppressed minorities’ rights through MLK’s dream, instread becoming eugenic, fascist, imperialist monsters.

I don’t think that’s artistic success.

I hope Marvel has the Avengers kick the X-Men’s ass. Nimrod, the Sentinels, and Orchis are humanity’s heroes, not their enemy. I’d love to see them burn Krakoa to the ground and put Beast on trial for crimes against humanity. Let’s see Reed Richards Ultimate Nullify the SWORD stations out of existence, and send Galactus to clean out the monster infestation on Mars — yes, MARS, not Arakko. Although, of course, none of these things will ever happen.

I will always believe what went down with Beast in Terra Verde was an editorial mistake, literally, of monumental proportions, that the X office had to hastily correct once they realized they had written the X-Men or X-Force — whatever — into committing genocide.

These are all my opinions on the story HiX-Men was telling and the characters I feel were mischaracterized.

Hickman did something else though beyond just the story he was telling, something bigger within the larger, fictional Marvel Universe, and its Intellectual Properties.

Hickman has done something no writer has done for Marvel Comics in decades. He has, at least for the foreseeable future, CHANGED the characters. The one rule of Marvel Comics has always been to create the illusion of change. But Hickman has actually done it, he’s changed things. I may not like it, and I don’t, but it’s different. There’s X-Men before Hickman and after. I think in the last 10 to 20 years, the movies have caused more changes to the books and characters than the comic writers and editors, until now. What Hickman has done is no small accomplishment. Hickman’s FF and Avengers/Secret Wars runs changed the status quo very little. The X-Men haven’t been this changed since Len Wein and Chris Claremont got hold of them. That is no small feat.

I think financially it has been a success, from what I can tell. I looked at the sales estimates on comichron.com for June about a week ago, the last full month that estimates were available at that point, and X titles accounted for over 750,000 physical books sold. That’s over something like 9 or 10 titles, but dang! That’s a LOT of books. THAT doesn’t even include digital sales. Move over Batman and Spider-Man. There’s practically always an X title in the top 10 again. I have no idea what Marvel’s internal numbers look like, but from the outside, it looks successful. There’s also the PR buzz around the HiX-Men. How many mainstream entertainment publications have run how many stories on the HiX-Men? That’s some serious earned media, right there. Entertainment Weekly running a story on what Hickman and the entire X-office have done? Wow! Disney must be loving this. No wonder Marvel and Hickman are talking about more Marvel projects for Hickman while he’s clearly much more enamored with going off to do his thing on Substack.

For the other books, sure, some are boring. Some are good. Some, like Duggan’s new X-Men title, seem completely incongruent in tone with what’s happening in the other books. (Voltron imitations and BBQ? Really?!?) Except for the treehouse, it barely seems like X-Men are in the same Krakoan-era of X-Men, but that might change. Also, everyone needs to quit blaming other writers for Hickman’s story not being told in full. As the stories about Leah Williams’ book make clear, Marvel editors guide the decisions more than the writers. The other writers did not choose whether or not to finish Hickman’s story. Marvel’s editors made thar choice.

Overall, I think the story was a failure, because it is not going to be told and I didn’t like the characters. HofX/PoX/Dawn of X/etx. is and will always be incomplete, even if Hickman or others go back to finish it years from now. It cannot be the same as what he planned, because time will pass and plans change. I dislike immensely what Hickman has done to these characters.

By the same token, as basically an editor and idea man, Hickman’s success can NOT be denied. The HiX-Men are an astounding success. I think you would have to go back all the way to maybe Lee and Kirby, or at least Feige and his movies, to see someone having such an impact on the Marvel Universe. Hickman really changed things, even if you don’t like it.

Financially, too, it sure seems like Hickman did well.

It maybe disappointing to us readers that things aren’t being wrapped up in a little box with a bow following Dawn of X, but Marvel’s mutants are as important to the Marvel Universe as they ever have been. Isn’t that what we really wanted out of Hickman’s run?

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Well, he actually *should* do a solo Spidey or Daredevil story, imo. Not just to prove his range, but more importantly, if he did a huge, expansive, world-building story with many layers and characters involved, the fans will not trust Marvel to allow him to finish his story again. That's what was lost with Hickman leaving the X-line -- trust. Which was already scarce for fans who read the Big 2.
    I agree with this completely.

Obviously everyone has their own feelings but Hickman leaving X-Men has for the most part killed my interest in the title and made me feel like I wasted 2 years on a story that will never have a conclusion. Considering the scope of Hickman's stories usually I don't think I'm willing to risk investing dozens of hours and hundreds of dollars in another big project of his with Marvel willing to throw it away on a whim.

I don't actually expect them to do what you're suggesting but if his next big thing is a BIG thing at Marvel I won't bother investing in it till its complete.

Quote Originally Posted by AoANightcrawler View Post
    I agree with this completely.

Obviously everyone has their own feelings but Hickman leaving X-Men has for the most part killed my interest in the title and made me feel like I wasted 2 years on a story that will never have a conclusion. Considering the scope of Hickman's stories usually I don't think I'm willing to risk investing dozens of hours and hundreds of dollars in another big project of his with Marvel willing to throw it away on a whim.

I don't actually expect them to do what you're suggesting but if his next big thing is a BIG thing at Marvel I won't bother investing in it till its complete.
    I think this is the real point of frustration for me that wonÂ’t completely drop, even though IÂ’m excited for somebody new to take over Uncanny.

Every writer drops plots or has to finish things quickly, but Hickman is the only writer that gets away with not writing proper stories/arcs within his books to make sure there are satisfying pieces within his grander narrative. Aaron and Gillen are at similar points of prestige, but they canÂ’t get away with writing very granular piece-meal issues. They write proper three act stories within a larger three act run and it means if anything happens, they have a collection of well crafted trades that donÂ’t make people feel like theyÂ’ve wasted loads of money.

I like HickmanÂ’s approach, but only in the faith that he follows through with his ideas. Each issue is like a premise, but lacking an argument. Some of his X-Men issues were bad, but I gave it a pass because I believed that these 15-20 premises he introduced would be developed and evolve. This is where writing for trade would have been more beneficial to my wallet in retrospect.

If somebody without much comic knowledge picked up HickmanÂ’s post dawn of X X-Men in a collected edition, they would read through the 20+ issues, get to the end, and be very confused and unsatisfied. For that, though I really like HickmanÂ’s writing, and am excited for Inferno, the run itself is a bit annoying.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Spider-Man would be so far out of the norm for Hickman.
    It'd be a fresh challenge for Hickman for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by youthoftoday View Post
    I think that's just how he wanted to do it. All of those early issues of X-Men were just set up for future stories. It's not all that different on how his Avengers run started.
    Yeah, but he didn't have worry about other writers' input like he does now, and everything eventually got paid off. He was also in control of the two main Avenger books, and there were only 2-3 books at any time, unlike the family cookout we have going on now.

This run lacked something he's always had: focus. He's always been a slow burn, but that wasn't a problem before.

This is why, after they announced all the books, I said that they were branching out too soon. They had yet to fully establish a strong foundation of the X-Men status quo relative to the rest of the MU, which quickly showed itself in all the inconsistencies that followed. It should've been a 6 months to a year of 2 to 4 books at max, with Hickman writing 2 of them.

It's also ridiculous that Hickman didn't write the F4/X-Men/Doom story. It's weird that he's been laying the seeds of Illuminati characters being skeptical of Krakoa and/or opposing of them, but nothing will be done with that.

I get that the status quo is popular, but we were sold on the promise of a grander story beyond just Krakoa. So now we get the stalling and meandering status quo, again, at the expense of story, again.

And people wonder why manga (stories with characters and plots that develop, and then end) are more appealing to tune of millions of sales. I see why he's going to Stack.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    sad to see him go but thankful he revived the franchise. good job sir!
    At what cost?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherFan View Post
    See, now I’m starting to think that this ”next big Marvel thing” for Hickman is some sort of editorial position. At first I was thinking Eternals or Inhumans because those are the only big(ish) franchises he hasn’t touched aside from solo characters like Spidey which I don’t see him being interested in at all. But now that I think about the whole Substack move where Hickman basically tries out his own line of books and the fact that he talked about having gained new experiences as head of x in his farewell letter and how he isn’t interested in a monthly book format anymore I kind of get the impression that he has negotiated with Marvel about becoming some sort of editor. It would make sense why he talked so vaguely about his ”next big Marvel thing” instead of ”next big Marvel book”.
    When I heard he was coming on to the X-Men, I thought he was hoping to get noticed by Marvel, but on the movie side. I could see him getting paid big to help out/write the MCU X-Men.