Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Sad that Hickman leaves but the article heading says that Inferno is his last X-Men comic for now. Who says that he won't return? Anyway, the man has revived the X-line. He even said that he planned the X-Books for the next couple of years. I trust him and he can return for the end of his story. I love the Karkoa era. The thing is that if has written bid for the middle act then by prolonging the Krakoa stories he is not needed right now BUT he can return in the return in the future to finish his story.

For me after so many years the X-Men feel so alive. We don't have to see wolverine all around and we have different teams. That's the big picture everybody needs to see. I don't think that other writers like Ewing and Duggan won't follow his footsteps. I also want see the Phalanx and the Dominions and apart from Hickman I believe that Elwing the right one for the job.

"In an effort to facilitate both things, we've all spent the last six months or so reorienting the line, me creating Inferno to assist with that, and then bringing in some new writers to add to the existing team, and then plan for the next several years of X-books. So after Inferno, I'll be leaving to go work on my 'Next Big Marvel Thing™' and starting in January the X-Line will rocket forward starting with a weekly series that leads into the very cool, refocused, line of books. Yes, it's taken us a little while to get everything assembled correctly, but the end result — everything that's coming after Inferno — is going to be pretty great."

Ah so Hickman is pulling a Bendis what a hack.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ComeOnBunny View Post
    Ah so Hickman is pulling a Bendis what a hack.
    Considering what (as I recall) drove Hickman off Twitter, there is a good chance the what Hickman had originally planned would not have been interpreted the way he saw it and he just said screw it, it is not worth the trouble.

From what i gather it sounds like Hickman was ready to move to the inferno stage months ago but the others enjoyed the status of krakoa so much and it was selling well they sort of lamented there. So in that sense it ended up working out in my favor despite stalling his vision. So it seems to me if he got all three acts other posters may have been correct in krakoa going away but as the consensus ended up being where mutants where was so good and added so much he was more than generous and instead of throwing a hissy fit decided to build on what even surprised him as taking off so much and as such is moving on to another project and substack stuff. I feel he also alludes to Leah being slighted with the he was informed his writers would know of shifts so i appreciate that. All in all Marvel did Leah dirty. Hickman making mutants strive became a bigger thing than even he expected and so he has extended it beyond what his intent was and will probably clean out the "shadier" mutants in inferno. JMHVOTs
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Well and so.
    One of the great things about living in and enjoying the present moment is I'm not easily disappointed, especially by things beyond my control. This writing was on the wall for some time. Yes, I'm sorry it's sooner rather than later but...it's not like I'm not enjoying the X-Men, Hellions, Marauders, SWORD and New Mutants none of which are written by or dealing with HiX-Man's main plots introduced in HoX/PoX...for how ever long they last (Mid 2022?)

The one plot I was only very much interested in was the Moira X/Destiny knot...and that's what Inferno will address...so I'm happy. The Chimaera and Homo Novisima and Phalanx stuff can be resolved in their own time, somewhere down the line by Ewing...no rush.

I'm very intrigued and not a little wary by the weekly schedule come January 2022. It's my experience that such a schedule can either be a hit if the writers are in synch and on time (fingers crossed) or utterly disastrous and inconsistent. We'll see.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    So Hickman brings on these other writers to the x-line and tells them upfront that he has a three act story and wants no surprises when he wants to pivot into act two, they all agree and come on board. When Hickman announces that the time has come to pivot to act two, the same writers who knew from the beginning what the plan was decides to go against Hickman and screws up his overall X-men story. And to add insult to injury it seems editorial sided with the writers and against Hickman's wishes, so he decided to bow out and walk away with from the x-line. Seems like a betrayal of trust on Marvel's part, they bring Hickman on to revitalize/save the x-line, agreed to his overall plans/visions for the franchise. But then when they see how successful he was they decide he's no longer necessary to the continuing success of the x-franchise, and they are going to ride this Krakoa train until it goes off the tracks. I guess their banking on the Krakoa era being bigger than Hickman and the other X-writers can keep it going, we will see if they made the right choice. I suspect they did not and that the other writers as talented has some may be doesn't have the vision that Hickman has. Will see how it all unfolds.
    I love Hickman as much as the next Person, he is probably my favorite modern writer. But he isn't God

The way I saw it, he started a story, the current writers aren't finished with their story yet, so instead of filling out his run with stuff that doesn't matter, he is leaving it for a while until the books catch up with him

If we all saw interviews with Ewing saying "He had to ended his story early because another writer wanted to get to point B quicker" People would say how much it sucked that Ewing never got to finish his story and that there are major problems at Marvel.

No, here it seems the X line just took a life that's bigger than Hickman. He may have had the best story ever, but it would have been at the expense of other writers.

It just seems he is making a comprimise and leaving the door open for future events

If he hated his time, he wouldn't still be at Marvel planning his next big thing

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I think the worst part is Hickman probably won't share what would have been act 2 for years, since he or another writer may still use some of those plans years later.

Its always hard for me to take these statements seriously. Because it always feels like they're a bit fake nice because of professionalism. So I'm all "OK, what's the REAL tea about what happened?" Because the talk about Krakoa taking on a life of its own rings hollow when so many of the new series don't make it to 6 issues. The entire thing has been treading water while we waited for Hickman to get to the point.

Could an editor have seen what he had planned and decided to put their foot down for having bad implications? Hickman's isn't great when it comes to race issues or women. Or could it just be someone higher up seeing it and going "the X-men aren't supposed to be on an island and working with Apocalypse and talking up eugenics. What is this, HYDRA?" and just thrown the whole thing out.

I have a feeling his “next big marvel thing” will still be mutant related.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Yikes. Hopefully he hands over the keys to Tini and Al. It’ll be a sad state of affairs if someone like Williams or Ayala takes over. They’re already pushing it with Duggan. ��

Truly dont think we’re getting a new “Head of X” at all

Also looked at Duggans Twitter and by the looks of it he found out Hickman was leaving at the same time as us which kinda sucks actually
    Last edited by Diammandis; 08-17-2021 at 05:25 PM.
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post

Also looked at Duggans Twitter and by the looks of it he found out Hickman was leaving at the same time as us which kinda sucks actually
    I think Duggan was just fucking around. It would be beyond bizarre and basically kill all the "X-Office is tightly ran ship" narrative that whole EW piece was about and that Duggan himself has been spewing for 2 years, lol.
    Last edited by Nomura99; 08-17-2021 at 05:59 PM.

With him leaving and not playing out his original ideas, Im more inclined to believe that Marvel will actually retcon alot of this run, especially some of the uncharacteristic actions of some characters. That theory that Krakoa and/or Xavier has had some psychic influence on everyone is feeling more likely as does the one about the characters being invalidated as merely clones and not the actual characters as we've been led to believe. I can also see a soft reset happening around Moira dying

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post

there's no way he didnt know especially if Inferno is being used as a vehicle to make the transition happen

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I have a feeling his “next big marvel thing” will still be mutant related.
    Is Spider-Man a mutant again? I am not following that corner of the Marvel U, so maybe they announced something, but having a group of writers taking over a weekly book before revealing it was all a stopgap before Hickman took over sounds like something Marvel would do.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Is Spider-Man a mutant again? I am not following that corner of the Marvel U, so maybe they announced something, but having a group of writers taking over a weekly book before revealing it was all a stopgap before Hickman took over sounds like something Marvel would do.
    he was a mutant before?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy