Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Confirmed: Hickman is leaving the X-Men after Inferno

X-Men comic fans have been fearing this day, but alas, it has arrived. EW can confirm that Jonathan Hickman, the writer behind the celebrated 2019 comics House of X and Powers of X (illustrated by Pepe Larraz and R.B. Silva) that relaunched Marvel's mutants with a radical new status quo, will be departing the X-Men line after his upcoming Inferno series wraps up.

"Oh, plans have changed entirely," Hickman says. "When I pitched the X-Men story I wanted to do, I pitched a very big, very broad, three-act, three-event narrative, the first of which was House of X. And while this loosely worked as a three-year plan, I told Marvel upfront that I honestly had no idea how long the first part would last because there were a lot of interesting ideas that I had seeded that other creators would want to play with, and so, we left this rather open-ended. I was also pretty clear with all the writers that came into the office what the initial, three-act plan was so no one would be surprised when it was time for the line to pivot."

Hickman continues, "However, I also knew that I was cooking with dynamite, and it was very possible that what I had written in House of X, and the ideas contained within, was not actually the first act of a three-act story, but something that resonated more deeply and worked more like Giant-Size X-Men, where it would represent a paradigm shift in the entire X-Men line for a prolonged period of time. So, during the pandemic, when the time came for me to start pointing things toward writing the second-act event, I asked everyone if they were ready for me to do that, and to a man, everyone wanted to stay in the first act. It was really interesting, because I appreciated that House of X resonated with them to the extent that they didn't want it to end, but the reality was that I knew I would be leaving the line early."

"Marvel doesn't really pay me to just write ongoing monthly books, there's an expectation for me to write bigger books that have a wider reach than that," Hickman tells EW. "In an effort to facilitate both things, we've all spent the last six months or so reorienting the line, me creating Inferno to assist with that, and then bringing in some new writers to add to the existing team, and then plan for the next several years of X-books. So after Inferno, I'll be leaving to go work on my 'Next Big Marvel Thing™' and starting in January the X-Line will rocket forward starting with a weekly series that leads into the very cool, refocused, line of books. Yes, it's taken us a little while to get everything assembled correctly, but the end result — everything that's coming after Inferno — is going to be pretty great."

https://ew.com/books/inferno-jonatha...t-x-men-comic/

wow, I'm absolutely disappointed. His run feels very unfinished. But I guess that's the point now. It is not a run but a "paradigm shift"...uff, sad day. I always wanted more from his storytelling and he never delivered it after House of X.

Hickman in three words: Edging without climax.

I can't wait to see who the new writers are! I'm ready for this shake-up!!

Cmon Ram V and Victor LaValle!

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

It's likely Ewing and Duggan at the helm now. I love Si Spurriers stuff too so hopefully he's sticking around long term.

I knew it. That was my first reply in the substack thread, lol.

My glass is half full side feels like Hickman will just go away, let the other writers play in his world, and come back for a final mini to wrap it all up.

My glass is half empty side is disappointed with Marvel and bummed to see him leave.

House of X will be one of my favorite X-stories.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Hickman is leaving so that Krakoa can continue.

I feel like some HoXPoX hater got monkeypawed lol.

After reading the article I'm feeling positive on the whole, but I can understand the disappointment that's bound to be produced by his departure. What he's done for the x-line has been nothing short of outstanding, and under his guidance, the X-books have become some of Marvel's best comics in years.

I just hope that he eventually gets to finish his story. Curious what other projects he has at Marvel that he hasn't announced yet, as well as what's coming in January!

Kind of a bummer but I’m looking forward to the January relaunch.

My only concern is that he was someone that I could see putting his foot down for story and writers. But now with him leaving I feel like editorial is going to take over.

We know the writers won’t say anything but there’s been a slight interference so far.
    Last edited by CGAR; 08-17-2021 at 11:11 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Called it, his involvement has been reducing substantially and Substack was the straw.Hopefully he finishes his Krakoa arc the way he wanted to, Krakoa era was great but nothing compared to HOX/POX.hope they don't milk it.

Beyond in Spider-man won't last long.Around 8 months then Peter will return.That should be Hickman's next thing.
    Substack with 2 issues of ASM every month seems perfect.He's done FF, Avengers and the X-men.Spider-man is the only big thing left.
    Nvm he doesn't want to do monthly

BANNED

Hoping for Ben Percy to take the helm.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Hoping for Ben Percy to take the helm.
    Hope not. His pacing is not the best. We’re still dealing w plant/bio stuff in X-Force.

I would really only trust Al Ewing but he’s got a ton on his plate already.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Good.

Next lmao.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

what an absolute dumpster fire of management.

so if the* ultimate end of hox/pox doesnt ultimately stick the landing does it hurt worse with hickman gone or less?

*edit
    Last edited by ospfwildcard; 08-17-2021 at 11:22 AM.
    Marvel and DC comics are no different than the food at McDonalds. It will fill you up but in the end bad for your health. Read more independent publishers. Get away from the corporate homogenous cookie cutter fast food comics.

This is honestly ain't good exception of Sword, Helions, & now X-Men cause it's new most of the current X-line is very boring.