Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Spidey simultaneous doesn't make sense *and* is the only project that makes sense. Assuming Hickman doesn't return to a franchise he's already written, all other franchises are not prestigious enough. And Spidey's writer just left recently. So if you were forced to bet at gunpoint, I don't see how you don't pick Spidey.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    This. Nothing matched his HoX work. I didn't like any of his Giant Size work and Xmen was painfully mediocre and directionless. It's hard for me to believe that the man responsible for Hox wrote the same bland Xmen and Giant Size one shots.
    Is is really that odd? An ongoing is very, very different in pacing and plot compared to a 12-part event with each chapter designed ahead of time to be about a specific part of the metaplot to establish the status quo. No issue is really about people just mulling around, it's constant exposition and action and tightly curated. If the event was a trilogy of movies, the ongoing is a TV series, and one without a plan beyond the current season, as he was bringing on other writers and onboarding everyone else to the metaplot and then letting other people have fun with it, so he is just establishing smaller details of what he's already set up. It's in some ways easier to make a compelling metaplot than it is to write realistic characters (especially in lieu of such a dramatic change where he's also establishing changes in them: See Scott's relationship with his family, Logan and Jean, his relative lack of a relationship to Emma comparatively, etc. But all of that character drama lacked the emphasis and draw of a compelling metaplot to suck you in, so it's not as polished or pretty.

idk. I didn't mind it as much as others, so maybe I'm just an outlier there. But the X-men he did was purposefully not advancing a huge plot to let others do things, though it is a shame that it felt like Dawn of X was a relative dud overall. Fallen Angels didn't go anywhere, Excalibur and X-force were a mess, Marauders was pandering and meandering, so X-men felt like it was having to carry the whole lineup alongside New Mutants, but neither were quite that good to save the bigger picture, especially when they swapped from their initial plots to another arc.

I'm telling you all his next big thing is still going to involve the mutants.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Ewing - new Head of X
    Gillen - joins X-line
    Thompson - joins X-line
    Coates - joins X-line
    Pak - joins X-line
    Williams - out
    Howard - out
    Wells - out
    Hickman - Inhumans
    Hickman - Eternals
    Last edited by ARkadelphia; 08-22-2021 at 02:55 AM.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Ewing - new Head of X
    Gillen - joins X-line
    Thompson - joins X-line
    Coates - joins X-line
    Pak - joins X-line
    Williams - out
    Howard - out
    Wells - out
    Hickman - Inhumans
    Hickman - Eternals
    Source? 10char

Ewing - new Head of X
    Gillen - joins X-line
    Thompson - joins X-line
    Coates - joins X-line
    Pak - joins X-line
    Williams - out
    Howard - out
    Wells - out
    Hickman - Inhumans
    Hickman - Eternals
    That's something I didn't knew I wanted until I read this.

I think it’s just a guess. But Hickman will be wasted on Inhumans or Eternals honestly. I’m sure the movie will do fine, but don’t see it becoming a major franchise for Marvel like Avengers, X-men or Spider-man. I don’t think it will even be on par with Guardians honestly as it seems more serious in tone, and part of the appeal of GotG was its heavy comedic aspect. IMO Eternals really exists to set up the Celestials and through them the X-gene as well as what’s the next big saga for the MCU, which I predict is Secret Wars. Fits with all the Multiverse stuff and the Celestials, plus eventually mutants and the Fantastic Four showing up. And it’s likely we’ll get a Dark Reign and New Avengers thread running through the MCU on our march towards Secret Wars.

My predictions anyway.

Ewing - new Head of X
    Gillen - joins X-line
    Thompson - joins X-line
    Coates - joins X-line
    Pak - joins X-line
    Williams - out
    Howard - out
    Wells - out
    Hickman - Inhumans
    Hickman - Eternals
    not really a Coates fan, so I wouldn't want him anywhere near the x-men. I've liked what Pak has done in the past, so I'd be all for him coming back

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Spidey simultaneous doesn't make sense *and* is the only project that makes sense. Assuming Hickman doesn't return to a franchise he's already written, all other franchises are not prestigious enough. And Spidey's writer just left recently. So if you were forced to bet at gunpoint, I don't see how you don't pick Spidey.
    Yeah, I hope it's him as well.And not.
    Split the difference, make a team of sorts and have Spidey on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I think it’s just a guess. But Hickman will be wasted on Inhumans or Eternals honestly. I’m sure the movie will do fine, but don’t see it becoming a major franchise for Marvel like Avengers, X-men or Spider-man. I don’t think it will even be on par with Guardians honestly as it seems more serious in tone, and part of the appeal of GotG was its heavy comedic aspect. IMO Eternals really exists to set up the Celestials and through them the X-gene as well as what’s the next big saga for the MCU, which I predict is Secret Wars. Fits with all the Multiverse stuff and the Celestials, plus eventually mutants and the Fantastic Four showing up. And it’s likely we’ll get a Dark Reign and New Avengers thread running through the MCU on our march towards Secret Wars.

My predictions anyway.
    I’ve seen some suggest a return to the Ultimate universe since he never got to finish his Ultimates run or like you said some multiverse stuff. He honestly could be saving his Phalanx story for that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I’ve seen some suggest a return to the Ultimate universe since he never got to finish his Ultimates run or like you said some multiverse stuff. He honestly could be saving his Phalanx story for that.
    I can't help but feel the Ultimate Universe should rest in peace. It has run it's course (in good and very bad) and any further stories with it will just result in diminishing returns and too few people will even be aware of any good stories still comming out of it. Which would mean him writing anything for it might likely be just wasted effort.

However i keep thinking it might be interesting if they try to create another "light on continuity" Universe to provide an actualy "jumping on" point for newer and interested readers.

Like having a world where the most popular stories of the original universe allready happened (roughly anything good up to the 2000s) and the big name teams and heros are allready established, but otherwise light enough to retell stories with more hindsight or create new stories that don't need to consider 60 years of publication history.

Though i admit, maybe it's just my selfish desire to see an X-men continuity free of Morrison's influence and House of M, where mutants are still becomming a strange but also familiar part of a modern urban landscape with all the good, bad and ugly that both sides create and without 20 years of extinction storylines ruining the tone forever. Basicly a cartoon continuity in comic form.

Ewing - new Head of X
    Gillen - joins X-line
    Thompson - joins X-line
    Coates - joins X-line
    Pak - joins X-line
    Williams - out
    Howard - out
    Wells - out
    Hickman - Inhumans
    Hickman - Eternals
    Are these guesses or spoilers?

Guesses. There's no way Hickman is leaving the X-men to write the Inhumans. And The Eternals are in the middle of another run by a pretty big creative team already.
    If I had to bet, Hickman being "Head of Web" for the Spider-office makes the most sense. The Beyond arc screams filler, just like the weekly Uncanny X-men book Marvel launched before that terrible Age of X-man event.

They’re not taking the Eternals away from Gillen lol.

Hickman would do Inhumans because he clearly loves them. But I doubt Marvel is willing to try them again anytime soon.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Guesses. There's no way Hickman is leaving the X-men to write the Inhumans. And The Eternals are in the middle of another run by a pretty big creative team already.
    If I had to bet, Hickman being "Head of Web" for the Spider-office makes the most sense. The Beyond arc screams filler, just like the weekly Uncanny X-men book Marvel launched before that terrible Age of X-man event.
    Yup, and he better make sure Peter is at the front and Centre if he is doing it.Spider-geddon was so horrible I don't even wanna think about it