Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

if Hellions doesn't survive the relaunch please let Zeb Wells write something else for the X-Office. I'm enjoying Hellions more than I thought I would.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Just got back into X-Men after some time away. Been reading everything Hickman has put out and I love it.

The news today he is leaving is sad to say the least.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

This sucks. This whole Krakoa era was built with an endpoint in mind with Phalanx and Moira's potential 11th life. Even his whole X-men run was just build up and now he's not gonna follow up on most of them unless he crams it all into Inferno. I was following X-line for how the story will reach its climax not the characters as I already swallowed some pills for why some characters act in certain ways. However I was okay with that as I trusted Hickman's plan. With him gone I fear writers are gonna stretch this story more than it needs or editors get heavily involved and it turns into a mess. I will still keep reading but I don't like this news at all. Well at least I can hope his next project at Marvel is Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    If he revived it, can it continue without him? I mean, look what happened after Claremont, after Morrison. Marvel editorial messed this up, real talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    But the thing is these writers by themselves have never done anything close to what Hickman did or was doing.If not for HOX/POX and Hickman no one would care if these writers were writing X-men.
    And even after this boost, Hickman's work is far superior than all the other writers combined.Even if he was leaving, they should have stuck with his plan.Instead they delayed it and thus he left, they really think they can do better than Hickman.
    Even all these extra books being added was milking it, but atleast you knew that overall plan was in place.Now that's gone.
    Man really revived the entire X-franchise only to get f*cked over by Marvel, and then they wonder why no one with real talent works with them.
    I mostly agree with these and actually worry a bit for the line if it is continuing the story without redefining the era/direction.

Marvel does no. 1 issue gimmicks because they know that readers want to feel at the start of something. Krakoa is just going to get more convoluted and without the architect there, I do see more people dropping off and less people feel like they can jump into the X-Men and without the anxiety of getting years worth a trades.

With work like Aaron’s Thor or any of Hickman’s old work, you could read it like an indie book (catch up through trades, buy the singles, wait for the completed version in 5 years time etc), but now that the thrust is gone and we’re deep in the weeds of Krakoa, the streamline of HOX/POX is undone and the architect/visionary/head writer can’t anchor it to an act of his grand story anymore.

I do want to stress that I am hopeful for the future, but worry from the past 10 years of writers like Lemire being sucked dry by the X-Office.

Now he can finally go to DC and save it! They should give him the JSA, and he wanted to write Legion of Super-Heroes, so give him that too.

Maybe he can do something with Superman, it would be awesome.

Anyway, in a year or two, when the X-line start to lose steam they will bring Hickman back to finish his story. I can already see them, saying it was all planned.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spit and Syntax View Post
    I mostly agree with these and actually worry a bit for the line if it is continuing the story without redefining the era/direction.

Marvel does no. 1 issue gimmicks because they know that readers want to feel at the start of something. Krakoa is just going to get more convoluted and without the architect there, I do see more people dropping off and less people feel like they can jump into the X-Men and without the anxiety of getting years worth a trades.

With work like Aaron’s Thor or any of Hickman’s old work, you could read it like an indie book (catch up through trades, buy the singles, wait for the completed version in 5 years time etc), but now that the thrust is gone and we’re deep in the weeds of Krakoa, the streamline of HOX/POX is undone and the architect/visionary/head writer can’t anchor it to an act of his grand story anymore.

I do want to stress that I am hopeful for the future, but worry from the past 10 years of writers like Lemire being sucked dry by the X-Office.
    Yeah, the worst part is the lack fo direction.I feel they are gonna tell stagnant stories for as long as it can sell before making an ending.
    I hope I'm wrong though

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Well boys, it was fun being part of the X-boards these past two years but with Hickman out - I'm out

It was great while it lasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    wow, I'm absolutely disappointed. His run feels very unfinished. But I guess that's the point now. It is not a run but a "paradigm shift"...uff, sad day. I always wanted more from his storytelling and he never delivered it after House of X.

Hickman in three words: Edging without climax.
    This is exactly it. The man did revitalize the line on the strenght of his concepts, but after Hox Pox, I don't think his work ever delivered on the potential.
    Way too many missed opportunities to take the concepts further and to focus on how all the massive changes impacted the characters we've been reading about for ages.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Now he can finally go to DC and save it! They should give him the JSA, and he wanted to write Legion of Super-Heroes, so give him that too.

Maybe he can do something with Superman, it would be awesome.

Anyway, in a year or two, when the X-line start to lose steam they will bring Hickman back to finish his story. I can already see them, saying it was all planned.
    He already said he was moving to another Marvel book.

Also, he didn't he just say he wanted to write Legion of SH, I think he actually pitched the idea to DC and they didn't accept it. At least that's what I remember hearing.
    Last edited by youthoftoday; 08-17-2021 at 03:15 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    But the thing is these writers by themselves have never done anything close to what Hickman did or was doing.If not for HOX/POX and Hickman no one would care if these writers were writing X-men.
    And even after this boost, Hickman's work is far superior than all the other writers combined.Even if he was leaving, they should have stuck with his plan.Instead they delayed it and thus he left, they really think they can do better than Hickman.
    Even all these extra books being added was milking it, but atleast you knew that overall plan was in place.Now that's gone.
    Man really revived the entire X-franchise only to get f*cked over by Marvel, and then they wonder why no one with real talent works with them.
    Marvel seems to have misread their audience. People are more interested in whatever plans Hickman had and not just the Krakoa status quo.

Very bad move by Marvel. Add this to the countless times a writer wasn't allowed to tell his full story.

Hickman was the reason legions of people followed this run - and just seeing his name listed as "Head of X" is why many followed other books by mediocre writers. The rest of the creators are just the backup singers. No one is here for them. I guess in the end the Xmen is just too big and popular to let Hickman run wild - and now theyll milk his ideas for all their worth.

This move saves me a lot of money and time.
    I do read that interview like theres a possibility he could return in the future to finish what he started - but it wont be the same.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Mighty Member

I'm disapointed that Hickman is leaving, but i know he is trusting other writers And leaving the franchise in good hands. Duggan will probably be the one continuing on with Hickman's story while Ayla, Ewing and Percy will continue to play around in the sandbox.
    I can see Hickman returning every now and then to let everyone know he is still around and his story is still there. But i can't blame him for dropping off of monthly titles.
    I love his work, but he is an Events guy, it's why he'll be a bad choice for someone like Spider-man.

If he wanted to destroy the era of Krakoa, then, as contriversial as it sounds, he is wrong. There is a sweet 5-8 years worth of material to be played around with.

I don't think the Substack deal had much sway in his choice to leave the book. I think he was going one was And the X offices wanted to go another way. Substack is just timing. It could have just been a safe place to jump back off.

The wording of the article made it seem that Hickman was going to be involved in the weekly title. I don't know an how true this is, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a passing the torch moment.

The Mutants teraforming Mars wasn't even Hickman's idea, it was Duggan's. And considering that would have been planned before Substack, Hickman has put trust in the "Duggan era"

Who knows, maybe Hickman will return to X-Men ro cap off his story. But I feel we already had his story with HOXPOX, his X-men was just getting the other titles to the point they needed.

I hope Ayla stays with New Mutants And Percy with X-force And Wolverine.

I truly hope the status quo stays with Hickman Leaving. This unity of mutants or most of them has been the best thing since the messiah saga.

Mighty Member

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fE9d_loB-I8

This was recommended on my YouTube. It’s a Chris Claremont doc that goes through his history at marvel. A lot of it parallels to Jonathan Hickman. Wasn’t sure where to put it but I figure this thread it best. It’s very informative

Mighty Member

So Hickman brings on these other writers to the x-line and tells them upfront that he has a three act story and wants no surprises when he wants to pivot into act two, they all agree and come on board. When Hickman announces that the time has come to pivot to act two, the same writers who knew from the beginning what the plan was decides to go against Hickman and screws up his overall X-men story. And to add insult to injury it seems editorial sided with the writers and against Hickman's wishes, so he decided to bow out and walk away with from the x-line. Seems like a betrayal of trust on Marvel's part, they bring Hickman on to revitalize/save the x-line, agreed to his overall plans/visions for the franchise. But then when they see how successful he was they decide he's no longer necessary to the continuing success of the x-franchise, and they are going to ride this Krakoa train until it goes off the tracks. I guess their banking on the Krakoa era being bigger than Hickman and the other X-writers can keep it going, we will see if they made the right choice. I suspect they did not and that the other writers as talented has some may be doesn't have the vision that Hickman has. Will see how it all unfolds.