Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

Default How do I write DC?

I really want to write my own DC universe similar to the DCAU (it's gonna be based on that.) Yet at this current level of writing, I'm only comparable to Justice League Action. I have a co-writer who's read more of the comics than I have; the movies and shows are more of my forte. The reason I don't read the comics is because of my autism; my ADHD makes it hard for me to be engrossed in a book, and I only really get the superficial details. That's what's so hard about writing DC stuff, I only get the basic gist of the characters. I do have writing references stored on YouTube, which I'll link to: here they are. I do get parts of characters like Poison Ivy caring about women and children, and Brainiac being heartless, but I don't understand a lot about Superman being a "boy scout" or things like that. (Batman is slightly easier: I just know he has a traumatic past and hates guns and makes sure kids don't go through the same loss as him.) The one character I could probably effortlessly write is The Flash: my take on him presents him as an autistic computer programmer who, after he gains his superpowers, has a hard time doing things like waiting in line because his mind moves at hypersonic speeds. That's called projecting myself onto the characters, and because of Snyder's take on Barry, I thought I could add a little of myself into him. I know some things about character development; I use it a lot in my MCU level of lore surrounding Swayzak (an obscure villain from Toonami.) For example, Swayzak was initially a villain, but falling in love with Sara made him change his ways out of love.

Any tips you could give me to help improve my writing, as well as expanding my confined mind's horizons to accommodate all the knowledge I should hold?
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Not bursting your bubble, but I have come across 2 co-writers who do this very thing. With a lot more basis in the DCAU than comics. Though the comics do have their influence on their stories. My main beef with them, is that like the DCAU, they make Batman too Mary-Sue like. But here's there fanfic pages.

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1300641/ShadowMajin
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1269342/Anonymous-Void