Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I love Marston, but there are a lot of things he did that could still be done better.

The Golden Girdle already has clear powers, making someone invincible. That power has nothing to do with what the lasso does.

And it seems to me like a missed opportunity to tie up this fascinating and thematic part of the Greek Myth of Moriai / Fates that determine a person's life through glowing threads that they weave, and Diana having a glowing lasso that can enter a person's soul and discover hidden truths. Feels to me like a perfect connection. And the idea of Diana literally taking fate into her own hands, and using it as her "weapon" to change the world, seems ro me very symbolic of who Diana is.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    To complicate things here, there really are two lassos: Marston's lasso of compulsion, and Pérez's lasso of truth. I guess one can also add Kanigher's unbreakable lasso to the list.

An off-beat suggestion here is to grab the myth of Hephaestus trapping Ares and Aphrodite as they made love, and base the lasso's origin on that. The nice thing about that is that it could be used to support either Marston's or Pérez's lasso.
    Well, they're all indestructible. They all make people tell the thruth. But the Golden and Silver/Bronze Age lassos ( commonly referred to as the Magic Lasso or Golden Lasso) forced those encircled by it to do as WW says, and often that was forcing someone to tell the truth.

The post Crisis / Perez lasso ( Lasso of Hestia/ Lasso of Truth) is also indestructible, but it's main power was to force the truth from those within it's hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    But Gaea is the Earth--it's hard for me to imagine the Earth wearing a girdle (belt), but if she did it would be the size of the equator.

Why can't people respect some of the stuff from Marston? Does everything he invented have to be changed? He invented a lie detector and he invented Wonder Woman--he gave her a truth-telling lasso made out of links from Hippolyte's girdle. 'Nuff said.
    It' s not like Hestia actually owned the Lasso of Hestia. It's in her name. So the Girdle of Gaea is " of Gaea", not from her closet

Spectacular Member

The Lariat of Hestia,also known as the lasso of truth or the golden perfect,was made by the elder cyclops as said goddess equivalent to the Thunderbolt of Zeus,Trident of Poseidon and Helm of Hades.It was instrumental in the titanomachy by making most titans desert the war.Afterwards,It was given to the amazons after their eslavement by Heracles as a mean to subjugate him bypassing his strengh,the girdle magic and without angering Zeus.Finally,It was given to Diana as a prize for winning the contest.