Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Origin of the Lasso of Truth

Where do you think the lasso of truth should come from and why?

One idea that I've been debating is, what if the Lasso of Truth came from the Moirai / Fates? What if Diana met the Moirai and took her own string of life as her own, and thus taking control over her own destiny. I feel like it's an interesting mythological connection, but I'm not sure how it would work in terms of story. How would she meet them and take it from them.

Marston had it so the lasso was made from a magic girdle (which I believe was a gift from Aphrodite to Hippolyta).

Perez decided that the lasso should be made out of a golden girdle once worn by Antiope.

I personally never loved either of those origins. It seemed rather random that those two items would be turned into a lasso.
    Last edited by Alpha; 08-17-2021 at 01:32 PM.

To complicate things here, there really are two lassos: Marston's lasso of compulsion, and Pérez's lasso of truth. I guess one can also add Kanigher's unbreakable lasso to the list.

An off-beat suggestion here is to grab the myth of Hephaestus trapping Ares and Aphrodite as they made love, and base the lasso's origin on that. The nice thing about that is that it could be used to support either Marston's or Pérez's lasso.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Retired

Heracles was given 12 labours--the 9th was to capture the girdle of Hippolyta. This is a tale from Ancient Greece, so it has provenance. Given economy of story telling, it's fitting that the same girdle central to the Amazon story also provides material for the lasso.

I think that the lasso should channel the magic--but that Diana or the goddesses are what actually empower the lasso.

Hestia is the reason the lasso existed. If anything if the lasso all point is to open the hearts of man than it would be interesting if it was Athena who made the Lasso with a lock of her hair. No one can escape the truth

From the Girdle of Hippolyta. Forged by Hephaestus and enchanted by Athena, Artemis, Aphrodite, Hestia, Demeter, Hermes and Hephaestus himself.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    To complicate things here, there really are two lassos: Marston's lasso of compulsion, and Pérez's lasso of truth. I guess one can also add Kanigher's unbreakable lasso to the list.

An off-beat suggestion here is to grab the myth of Hephaestus trapping Ares and Aphrodite as they made love, and base the lasso's origin on that. The nice thing about that is that it could be used to support either Marston's or Pérez's lasso.
    I think Cassie and Donna got there own lasso's too...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Cassie and Donna got there own lasso's too...
    And now I think Artemis got one too. But I was talking more conceptually: Diana's lasso is very different now compared to how it was envisioned in its origin.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Heracles was given 12 labours--the 9th was to capture the girdle of Hippolyta. This is a tale from Ancient Greece, so it has provenance. Given economy of story telling, it's fitting that the same girdle central to the Amazon story also provides material for the lasso.

I think that the lasso should channel the magic--but that Diana or the goddesses are what actually empower the lasso.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    From the Girdle of Hippolyta. Forged by Hephaestus and enchanted by Athena, Artemis, Aphrodite, Hestia, Demeter, Hermes and Hephaestus himself.
    To those that like the Girdle origin, why? Why transform a big Belt that gives strength into a lasso that peers into the truth of the soul?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    To those that like the Girdle origin, why? Why transform a big Belt that gives strength into a lasso that peers into the truth of the soul?
    Like Jim Kelly said, the Girdle was already a part of Amazon lore, so that’s pretty cool.
    Plus, a lasso of truth is a lot more interesting than a strength boost and works better w. the type of character Diana is. That’s what I like(d) about it.

My favorite part of Diana’s first Post Crisis story arc was her not beating Ares by physical means but by showing him the consequences of his actions. That defined what WW is all about to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Like Jim Kelly said, the Girdle was already a part of Amazon lore, so that’s pretty cool.
    Plus, a lasso of truth is a lot more interesting than a strength boost and works better w. the type of character Diana is. That’s what I like(d) about it.
    Hippolyta already has a girdle. It doesn't answer why the meta text turns another girdle into the lasso.

The two items have totally different powers. And again, why would the godesses think the Girdle should become a lasso of truth?

Hippolyta already has a girdle. It doesn't answer why the meta text turns another girdle into the lasso.

The two items have totally different powers. And again, why would the godesses think the Girdle should become a lasso of truth?
    Beats me, I didn’t write the story.

But if I did, I’d say … the goddesses went w. something they felt gave Diana options other than violence. They didn’t want her to be just a warrior. Maybe they knew that old saying about if all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail. No offense to Thor.

Anyway that’s all I got so I’m outta here, dont want to spam your thread.

Nah that's precisely what I wanted to discuss, what origin people prefer, even if it's fan fiction, and why do they like that origin for an artifact like the lasso of truth

I remember reading a story where it showed the Girdle with tiny links, links that became the now remolded Lasso. The indestructibility of the Lasso comes from the Girdle likewise being indestructible and giving strength to the wearer, which is now the strength of the Lasso itself. It was able to force the wearer to tell the Truth because the Girdle was from Athena. Supposedly, Hippolyta would not need it to make herself super strong and the Amazons unbeatable on Paradise Island. I also believe that the Girdle survived after the Lasso was made, just smaller and more sleek.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Where do you think the lasso of truth should come from and why?

One idea that I've been debating is, what if the Lasso of Truth came from the Moirai / Fates? What if Diana met the Moirai and took her own string of life as her own, and thus taking control over her own destiny. I feel like it's an interesting mythological connection, but I'm not sure how it would work in terms of story. How would she meet them and take it from them.

Marston had it so the lasso was made from a magic girdle (which I believe was a gift from Aphrodite to Hippolyta).

Perez decided that the lasso should be made out of a golden girdle once worn by Antiope.

I personally never loved either of those origins. It seemed rather random that those two items would be turned into a lasso.
    I like the Golden Girdle of Gaea origin as its immutability and other properties being incontrovertible make sense.

Retired

But Gaea is the Earth--it's hard for me to imagine the Earth wearing a girdle (belt), but if she did it would be the size of the equator.

Why can't people respect some of the stuff from Marston? Does everything he invented have to be changed? He invented a lie detector and he invented Wonder Woman--he gave her a truth-telling lasso made out of links from Hippolyte's girdle. 'Nuff said.