Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Batman '66, Wonder Woman '77, Why No Superman '55?

Why no Superman '55 with George Reeves' Superman & Noelle Neil's Lois Lane? While I'm so very excited about Superman '78, does anybody know why Superman '55 has never happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Zone View Post
    Why no Superman '55 with George Reeves' Superman & Noelle Neil's Lois Lane? While I'm so very excited about Superman '78, does anybody know why Superman '55 has never happened?
    I would guess it's just because Superman'78 is happening first. When that's over, if it sells well, that may be when Superman '55 happens.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

For these series to happen, DC needs to secure likeness rights with each of the actors estates. Presumably, a deal couldn't be struck with the George Reeves estate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    For these series to happen, DC needs to secure likeness rights with each of the actors estates. Presumably, a deal couldn't be struck with the George Reeves estate.
    Thank you! That sounds the most plausible. Now, does anybody know who is in charge of George Reeves' Estate? I know he didn't have any children.

Thank you! That sounds the most plausible. Now, does anybody know who is in charge of George Reeves' Estate? I know he didn't have any children.
    I'm not sure how it works without children, which is potentially why the likeness rights have been so complicated to secure.

I was hoping we would get a Superman '88 based on Quest for Peace...

It seems there is no a George Reeves estate to whom speak of, at all. And yet there are likeness-rights concerns about the series.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    It seems there is no a George Reeves estate to whom speak of, at all. And yet there are likeness-rights concerns about the series.
    I don't have any inside info on this at all, but I do know that the biggest headache the creators of the Batman '66 comic had were likeness rights, so that would be my guess as to why we've never gotten a Superman '55 comic. Presumably, someone, somewhere is gumming up the works and making it is making it either legally or financially unpalatable for DC to publish it.

Likeness rights were also what held up Batman '89 for years. My guess is that Keaton's participation in the Flashpoint movie also included likeness rights, which is what finally gave that series the ability to proceed.

Do many people still have a relationship with George Reeves Superman? Not even my parents ever watched it. Whereas Adam West Batman is all over pop culture, just like Lynda Carter.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Do many people still have a relationship with George Reeves Superman? Not even my parents ever watched it. Whereas Adam West Batman is all over pop culture, just like Lynda Carter.
    That's my thinking, the George Reeves version isn't as iconic or remembered as the others. It's the same reason we're not getting Lois & Clark '93 (which I would 100% buy!).
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    That's my thinking, the George Reeves version isn't as iconic or remembered as the others. It's the same reason we're not getting Lois & Clark '93 (which I would 100% buy!).
    I think Dean Cain has pretty much guaranteed we'll never get that. Although, that show was so close to the comics at the time, I'm not sure what angle a Lois & Clark '93 comic could accomplish.

As for the George Reeves show, I think it's aged pretty poorly, but I think there's certainly an audience for it. Now, whether or not that audience is sizable enough to justify the costs of securing the likeness rights (or whatever royalty payments), I have no idea.

Lois and Clark continuation is a tricky thing because Cain has made himself so controversial, of course. I try to just ignore Cain as a person and just enjoy his work, but that's not always easy, I get that.
    I would totally buy a Lois and Clark continuation series, but even better would be to use the actors and do an animated movie(s) with them. Barring an actual continuation Cain and Hatcher voicing Superman and Lois in non-Lois and Clark movies would still be pretty cool.
    And given the problems with Cain, just Hatcher voicing Lois would also be cool. Possibly it would need to be an older Lois?
    The angle that a Lois and Clark continuation would have is at least the series could get a continuation/resolution of the series finale where Lois and Clark find a superbaby on their doorstep. But, yeah, beyond that, it is basically the 90s comics Lois and Clark - which is great, I have a lot of nostalgia for that era.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Although, that show was so close to the comics at the time, I'm not sure what angle a Lois & Clark '93 comic could accomplish.
    Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    But, yeah, beyond that, it is basically the 90s comics Lois and Clark - which is great, I have a lot of nostalgia for that era.
    After rewatching the entire series this past year, I came to a different conclusion. It was supposed to be based on the Lois & Clark from the comics of the day, but from the get-go it went in its own direction. Without going into all the details, just as a matter of tone, it was a different kind of presentation. It often reminded me of previous iterations of Superman, sometimes having a distinct 1960s flavour.

It's like how SMALLVILLE was supposed to be in keeping with the current Superman in the comics--that is a Clark who was never Superboy, who only started to gain his powers in his teens--but to find plot ideas, they had to reach back into earlier comics (Lex and Clark being friends is straight from the old Superboy comics).

I'm not sure it would be all that hard to get George Reeves' likeness rights when Alex Ross can publish paintings like these.29871726_1913077192057953_5997112335781983542_o.jpgjcvouokgbwfy.jpgScreenshot_2015-10-13-19-04-41-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    True. Lack of pop-culture awareness can be sad for fans of less popular versions. I'm relistening to the Green Hornet radio show (much better than the tv show, IMO), but no one remembers it. The tv show didn't have Batman's popularity or enduring legacy and is mostly remembered for Bruce Lee. Practically every adaption afterwards (well, okay, the few I've seen) uses it more than the original source material, and is missing the newspaper/ensemble element I really liked from there. I listened to and liked the Superman radio show, too, but stories were too long. But since those were radio shows, and that's a medium that doesn't really exist in the mainstream and hasn't in many decades, they don't get even get the Nick-At-Nite replays and most people have never heard any of them. I hadn't until a few years ago.

I'm glad this is an active forum that has some discussion of older comics, there's just nothing that I can find for GH radio show.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 08-18-2021 at 04:52 PM.