Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Suicide Squad vs The Guardians of the Galaxy

Two Gunn superteams vs the other. Who takes it?

Bonus: The kid from Brightburn vs both teams together. This includes all of Team A who were on the beach in the initial scene of the movie. Who takes it?

Bonus Bonus: The same as the bonus, but bloodlust is off for both sides and they approach the fight in character
    Last edited by Postmania; 08-12-2021 at 10:56 PM.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Guardians take the basic fight pretty easily. More skilled, flight, multiple heavy hitters who are significantly tougher than the best the Squad has.

I didn't see Brightburn but ISTR the kid has some legit speed. If he hits hard enough to hurt the heavy hitters, he should solo them.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

The matchup against Brightburn reminds me of how the original squad was assembled to take down Superman in case the need should arise, and yet they were too woefully underpowered to do just that.

And yet Bloodsport spoilers:
    is in prison because he shot Superman with a kryptonite bullet, which addresses that one bump.
    end of spoilers (though yes, I know that was in the comics, too)

Astonishing Member

Brightburn kid solos both teams.

Guardians take Suicide Squad. Tougher and work together.

While overall, I do give it to the Guardians over the Squad, the inmates can take out a good number of the Guardians, depending on the line-up and environment.

Brightburn takes it.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    The matchup against Brightburn reminds me of how the original squad was assembled to take down Superman in case the need should arise, and yet they were too woefully underpowered to do just that.

And yet Bloodsport spoilers:
    is in prison because he shot Superman with a kryptonite bullet, which addresses that one bump.
    end of spoilers (though yes, I know that was in the comics, too)
    That scenario makes zero sense if somebody who knew Superman wrote the fight correctly
    - Superman would see the bullet in the chamber
    - Superman would move far too fast for the guy to pull the trigger.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    That scenario makes zero sense if somebody who knew Superman wrote the fight correctly
    No one in the DCEU would ever be able to shoot Superman with a slow moving projectile. If they did, Superman would definitely move out of the way. In the very unlikely event someone managed to shoot him with a kryptonite weapon, they certainly wouldn't be able to shoot him again with the same weapon when he knows what is coming.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by StupidMoniker View Post
    No one in the DCEU would ever be able to shoot Superman with a slow moving projectile. If they did, Superman would definitely move out of the way. In the very unlikely event someone managed to shoot him with a kryptonite weapon, they certainly wouldn't be able to shoot him again with the same weapon when he knows what is coming.
    For anyone interested enough to look into the original comics about this, James Gunn replied to this criticism in Twitter with the aftermath page from the comic that inspired it (looks like the John Byrne Superman era) where just being around Kryptonite is enough to blunt his invulnerability so the doctor had to keep the extracted bullet close just to be able to sew him up, so I imagine every other superpower he has, like his speed, would be similarly blunted. Lines up with how Cavill Superman just holding the kryptonite spear made him visibly struggle to fly comfortably to go and stab Doomsday with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    For anyone interested enough to look into the original comics about this, James Gunn replied to this criticism in Twitter with the aftermath page from the comic that inspired it (looks like the John Byrne Superman era) where just being around Kryptonite is enough to blunt his invulnerability so the doctor had to keep the extracted bullet close just to be able to sew him up, so I imagine every other superpower he has, like his speed, would be similarly blunted. Lines up with how Cavill Superman just holding the kryptonite spear made him visibly struggle to fly comfortably to go and stab Doomsday with it.
    He didn't look like he was struggling to fly, he just looked hurt.

In most Superman comics Kryptonite weakened him and could ultimately kill him but it was red sun radiation that took away his powers.

Extraordinary Member

How many rats does Ratcatcher 2 get to control? That's kinda her thing after all, without it she's kinda pointless.
    Last edited by Dark Soul # 7; 08-15-2021 at 08:16 AM.

Ultimate Member

No, that scenario was lifted directly from the comics.

Bloodsport shot Supes with a kryptonite bullet and nearly killed him. It was a pretty big deal.

But I do agree that it shouldn't work because Superman should know he's about to be hit with a kryptonite bullet.
    Last edited by Username taken; 08-15-2021 at 07:54 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Yeah, it was doing the Byrne era.

It must be noted that Byrne deliberately made Superman more "vulnerable" to stuff during that run.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slade1 View Post
    He didn't look like he was struggling to fly, he just looked hurt.

In most Superman comics Kryptonite weakened him and could ultimately kill him but it was red sun radiation that took away his powers.
    It seems its the same thing in the DCEU because Batman sliced Superman's face with the Kryptonite spear and was about to stab him with it.

It seems it drains his powers and weakens him at the same time.

I know it’s a long-established thing, and that they’ve eliminated or neutered a lot of them, but I’ve always hated the special weakness thing with DC heroes. It just smacks of “I’ve written myself into a corner with this character and they can’t be beaten”.

What would a more modern version be? “Oh no! Gluten! My one weakness!”

It's a Golden Age thing, when the audience was composed of very young kids who expected Popeye/Road Runner type of outrageous power-feats, yet also expected the hero to be challenged at least early on in the story. So a story that was basically "oh no! The villain has rendered Superman helpless with kryptonite; his one weakness!" followed by Superman has escaping it somehow and then, "BAM!! SMASH!! Superman picks up the moon and smashes it over the villain's head!" was a pretty standard way of satisfying both desires of small children. I wouldn't even call it writing themselves into a corner so much as quickly and efficiently satisfying simple tastes.