Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Default Way of X 5:The Fall Synopsis and SPOILERS

Hope this isn’t too early? No idea what time it is in the US!

First three pages go as in the preview, Legion is building something, Charles is being sanctimonious, the Xorn brothers are cool. Also, they don’t need any protection from the erupting lava and lack of atmospher on Olympus Mons, and Charles does!
    The one thing Legion has that Charles lacks is the humility to know he’s an ass.

Data page. Kurt’s bible is called The Book of the Spark.
    Respect this sacred land. What if the land isn’t the dirt under your feet? What if it’s your fellow mutants?

Kurt is trying unsuccessfully to mediate between Lost and Cortez. He finally loses patience and ‘ports the three of them high above Mars/Arrako. They can work together to save themselves or fall to their deaths? Kurt points out that he’s on the Council, he has the clout to have them pushed to the back of the resurrection queue. Lost and Cortez start to reconcile but Onslaught intervenes and Cortez attacks her. She fights back and her gravity powers affect the nearby Phobos, pulling it out of orbit. Oops.

Data Page: ah, Abigail, never change.

So, Lost is dead (again), Phobos is on a collision course with Arrako/Mars (this could be the shortest terraforming story ever) and SWORD is scrambling to evacuate a planet in ten minutes...

And Charles is still a pompous ass.
    In preaching at his son, he touches Legion, who can feel Onslaught in him and intuits that it’s the resurrection protocol which is letting Onslaught in.

Kurt teleports himself and Cortez to the ground and wants Cortez to overcharge him. Cortez, in true Cortez style whinges, because it’s all about him but does as Kurt asks and supercharges his teleportation.
    Kurt’s head is clear, he can see the way forward but he knows he’s about to do something fatal and he also knows he will lose this memory. He needs Cortez to remind him, to remind him of The Spark. He ‘ports them both to the Krakoan gate, Dust is just going through, leaving Cortez and Charles.

Kurt ‘ports onto Phobos and uses his overcharged powers to teleport it back into orbit, meeting a lonely but heroic end on its arid surface.

He is resurrected, restored by Charles and Lost is there to greet him. But he knows he’s missing memories.
    He asks where Cortez is.
    He’s in the Healing Gardens, lobotomised. The Healer suggests euthanasia and resurrection, Charles, whose being shady as shit, declines, and leads Kurt away.
    Panorama of Krakoa with out current cast, all of them have the spectre of Onslaught hanging over them.

To be concluded in The Onslaught Revelation.
    Stuff happened! Quite a lot of stuff, quite important stuff, which will probably be overshadowed by the shake up of Hickman bowing out and the Trial of Magneto.
    Charles/Onslaught is clearly the reason Cortez is a vegetable.
    What is Legion building and how will it help?
    Is Kurt immune to Onslaught? If so, why? Because Legion took the coin from his head?
    Kurt died and none of his friends noticed? Oh well, that’s Krakoa for you.

Fantastic Member Captain Buttocks's Avatar

I enjoyed this. Some good work with Kurt and I even felt a twinge (albeit a very swall twinge) of sympathy for one of the Upstarts. Sheesh.

The two Xorns make for a great visual when they're looking down on folk.

Astonishing Member

I wonder if the whole soul aspect is finaly comming into play allowing people like Kurt to actualy pull memory from their past incarnations which weren't saved by the cold data storage machine that is the current Cerebro?

While Phobos is only 11 kilometers in diameter Lost pulling it from orbit is still quite a feat. Especialy if she wasn't boosted by Cortez like Nightcrawler was when he teleported it away. Gravity manipulators seem quite overlooked compared to all the omegas and reality warpers, but between pulling objects around to creating black holes, they shouldn't be overlooked (just like Uravity in My Hero Academia).

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    Kurt died and none of his friends noticed? Oh well, that’s Krakoa for you.
    The Laissez-faire mentality the writers gave the X-men towards their deaths and those of others (family, friends, comrades) the moment their respawn machine was established, was one reason i disliked it as concept right away. The Crucible just reinforced it for me, regardless of how people tried to play it of as wonderfull or "unique culture".

It was also the reason i was done with X-factor from the first issue, because it showcased it with no sign of trying to imply it was bad.

But this book pretty much exist to adress just how problematic this development is.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Buttocks View Post
    I can't help but be reminded to floating power ups or attack support drones in various old fashioned side-scrolling games looking at them.

All-New Member

Something that makes me laugh is how Charles dismisses Cortez as disruptive, it is very funny because Cortez has become that way not by his own hand, but because constantly and without rest everyone around him has been treating him like shit.

I mean, what did they expect to happen, Cortez is not the most socially adept person to begin with, but doesn't help that they keep treating him that way either.

In conclusion, you can treat people badly but then don't be surprised what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Buttocks View Post
    I enjoyed this. Some good work with Kurt and I even felt a twinge (albeit a very swall twinge) of sympathy for one of the Upstarts. Sheesh.

Don’t they just!

Quote Originally Posted by AvP369 View Post
    Something that makes me laugh is how Charles dismisses Cortez as disruptive, it is very funny because Cortez has become that way not by his own hand, but because constantly and without rest everyone around him has been treating him like shit.

I mean, what did they expect to happen, Cortez is not the most socially adept person to begin with, but doesn't help that they keep treating him that way either.

In conclusion, you can treat people badly but then don't be surprised what happens.
    Yeah, I did think that. He is slime, but he’s been humiliated so often across multiple books, this is hardly surprsing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AvP369 View Post

Tbf all this started because Cortez wanted to completely disregard Krakoan Law and start killing humans. Act like PoS and people are going go treat you as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    I wonder if the whole soul aspect is finaly comming into play allowing people like Kurt to actualy pull memory from their past incarnations which weren't saved by the cold data storage machine that is the current Cerebro?

While Phobos is only 11 kilometers in diameter Lost pulling it from orbit is still quite a feat. Especialy if she wasn't boosted by Cortez like Nightcrawler was when he teleported it away. Gravity manipulators seem quite overlooked compared to all the omegas and reality warpers, but between pulling objects around to creating black holes, they shouldn't be overlooked (just like Uravity in My Hero Academia).
    Cortez boosted Lost’s powers before he killed her.
    96A24F38-B51D-48D7-A77B-64FBDB94355C.jpg

The Laissez-faire mentality the writers gave the X-men towards their deaths and those of others (family, friends, comrades) the moment their respawn machine was established, was one reason i disliked it as concept right away. The Crucible just reinforced it for me, regardless of how people tried to play it of as wonderfull or "unique culture".

It was also the reason i was done with X-factor from the first issue, because it showcased it with no sign of trying to imply it was bad.

But this book pretty much exist to adress just how problematic this development is.

I can't help but be reminded to floating power ups or attack support drones in various old fashioned side-scrolling games looking at them.

Kurt saved her shiny new planet, the least Ororo could do is turn up for his resurrection?
    I’m hoping that the resurrection goes away or stops being used so often precisely for the desensitisation it brings.

Last edited by Su_Whisterfield; 08-18-2021 at 09:31 AM.

Xavier really is a terrible person & shit father to boot why so many respect his bald ass is beyond me.

So does Legion's implication mean that the only way Onslaught gets a hold of someone is through resurrection, or can he find his way in earlier and resurrection just strengthens the hold? If it's the former, it's going to be weird to find out characters that died at some random point in the past off-panel, like Hellion and his brand new hands (though Bob Quinn said he put Julian in as an easter egg). edit: I suppose the easy answer is to just say they were among the people killed at the bar.

All in all, a good story. Probably the most I've enjoyed the comic since issue 1.
    Last edited by Paragon; 08-18-2021 at 10:28 AM.

Astonishing Member

Cortez boosted Lost’s powers before he killed her.
    Thanks, wasn't sure from the summary and in absence of the ability to read it yet, i had to go with that on my assumption. Still goes to show what some gravity manipulation can escalate into.

Kurt saved her shiny new planet, the least Ororo could do is turn up for his resurrection? I’m hoping that the resurrection goes away or stops being used so often precisely for the desensitisation it brings.
    True. But it seems such feats don't warrant a crowd shouting "mutant!" anymore. Then again, it's possible Legion sucked him and the others into his mind to trap Onslaught there.

I agree with the statement before mine about this reading best as a TPB but I hope they include the Onslaught mini in it.

This was good. It didnt give me the oomph I expected. But there were a lot of little things that happened in this title that I appreciated.

Quite liked this issue because Kurt got his grove back and was a Hero. In trying to help one heal past grievances and pain to saving a world. That was good.

Xavier is annoying because its unknown where his own arrogance starts and where Onslaught ends.

Also Cortez is a turd. Everyone rightfully treats him as a turd. But even then, that doesnt mean his words cant have meaning.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

I like this interpretation of the third law.

Jean does not need to wear Cerebro in order to transfer the backups and she definitely doesnt need to be assisted by Emma and Exodus