Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hellboy: The Bones of Giants comic

Amazing Member

Very excited about this. I'd love to see all the novels get comic-ized.

Robert James Liguori

Quote Originally Posted by ckmoak View Post
    Very excited about this. I'd love to see all the novels get comic-ized.
    Is there a complete list of Hellboy novels?

I think I found it, there are fifteen novels including four anthologies... https://www.monstercomplex.com/blog/...books-in-order

And here... https://hellboy.fandom.com/wiki/Hellboy_Universe_novels
    Last edited by hbr; 08-18-2021 at 02:22 PM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Oh man, this is awesome news! Hands down this has always been one of my favorite Hellboy stories so seeing it as a comic just sounds fantastic!

Can't believe there isn't more chatter about this!

This is a comic I've literally been waiting twenty years for the chance to hold in my hands...and now that it finally is I'm definitely not disappointed! In the original novel Mignola and Golden effortlessly combined Norse Mythology, political intrigue and the fate of Hellboy and his right hand of doom into an action packed jaunt that was brilliant from start to finish...it's only flaw was that as a prose novel it only had a few scant visuals from Mignola and with a story so fantastic it seemed like a crime that it wasn't a proper comic...and that one flaw has now finally been fixed with the release of this book. As a long time fan of the story I approached this with equal parts excitement because it was my favorite Hellboy story seeing new life and trepidation as I feared that lightning couldn't possibly strike twice and that the adaptation would pale in comparison to the original...but with the mythology of the god of thunder himself being such an integral part of the story perhaps that initial fear was misplaced as Mignola and Golden manage to pull the introduction of this adaptation off in grand style! Not only is this comic a great adaptation, breathing new life into well remembered scenes but it excels in its own right as it proves to be a tremendous showcase of collaborative quality and the ever consistent thematic tapestry that the Hellboy Universe is famous for. From the haunting first discovery of the desiccated body of Thor to the way the story ties into the fan favorite story King Vold it's a book that's sure to reward long time fans...but it's also a great read for casual or new readers as well giving a solid introduction to Abe and Hellboy as characters and easily thrusting you into their world with the use of familiar folk lore like Thor's battle with the Jormungandr the Midgard Serpent and aide from the seemingly all knowing squirrel Ratatoskr. Whether you're a long time fan of Hellboy, a Norse Mythology buff or just someone hankering for a darn good comic this is the book for you!Pick it up right now!
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I liked this book. Never read the novel, but the art and writing is first rate here.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I liked this book. Never read the novel, but the art and writing is first rate here.
    You should try it, the novel is amazing.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by blindboy View Post
    In fact I didn't find anything interesting. Maybe I need time
    It's Hellboy with Thor's hammer, how can that be not interesting???"
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by blindboy View Post
    In fact I didn't find anything interesting. Maybe I need time
    It's Hellboy with Thor's hammer, how can that be not interesting???"
    ...Yeah, if Hellboy with Thor's hammer investigating Norse legends awakening in the world doesn't get your pulse up you might want to seek immediate medical attention as you may be dead.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    You should try it, the novel is amazing.
    Agreed. If you were only going to read one Hellboy novel, The Bones of Giants is the one to read.

The second issue was a bit of a let down, not only was there too much exposition but it was all delivered too quickly and in rapid succession meaning none of it had any real weight or time to sink in and have any meaning. Usually I'm for quick dense books but I think this is a story that could use more room.

Liked issue 3 a lot. Good action and the storyis getting better. Matt Smith is doing great work. Do those who read the novel think the adaptation is good.