Long-time Jubester Fan jubilees_bf's Avatar

Default Marvel Voices: Identity #1 - Jubilee’s story

Just gotta say- Christina Strain knocked it out of the park with her short story about Jubilee.
    Not only was it a sentimental and touching look into Jubilee’s past, but the colors (also by Strain,) were amazing.

For those that don’t know, she also wrote Generation X volume 2, and was responsible for giving Jubilee back her mutant powers.
    This short delivers by addressing the very seldom displayed fact that Jubilee comes from an Asian background. It shows her visiting her parent’s graves, actually giving both parents a name as shown on their tombstones. Jubilee is struggling to follow instructions on her phone that list how to honor her parent’s through Chinese traditions. She then reflects to many never-before seen moments with her mom and dad- anything from being a typical bratty kid, to bonding and learning valuable life lessons from them before they were killed.

The real icing on the cake is when Strain writes Chamber/Jono into Jubilee’s life again. During Gen X volume 2, they were depicted as a blossoming couple. Since that series ended, neither have even spoken a word or appeared on-panel together.
    Strain solidifies the fact that Jubilee and Jono are still an item… as he brings Jubilee’s adopted son Shogo to the gravesite so they can all visit and have a picnic of traditional Chinese cuisine.

It’s really a cute story… and I’m hoping that other writers start to depict Jubilee/Chamber as still dating from here on out.

Quote Originally Posted by jubilees_bf View Post
    Just gotta say- Christina Strain knocked it out of the park with her short story about Jubilee.
    Not only was it a sentimental and touching look into Jubilee’s past, but the colors (also by Strain,) were amazing.

For those that don’t know, she also wrote Generation X volume 2, and was responsible for giving Jubilee back her mutant powers.
    This short delivers by addressing the very seldom displayed fact that Jubilee comes from an Asian background. It shows her visiting her parent’s graves, actually giving both parents a name as shown on their tombstones. Jubilee is struggling to follow instructions on her phone that list how to honor her parent’s through Chinese traditions. She then reflects to many never-before seen moments with her mom and dad- anything from being a typical bratty kid, to bonding and learning valuable life lessons from them before they were killed.

The real icing on the cake is when Strain writes Chamber/Jono into Jubilee’s life again. During Gen X volume 2, they were depicted as a blossoming couple. Since that series ended, neither have even spoken a word or appeared on-panel together.
    Strain solidifies the fact that Jubilee and Jono are still an item… as he brings Jubilee’s adopted son Shogo to the gravesite so they can all visit and have a picnic of traditional Chinese cuisine.

It’s really a cute story… and I’m hoping that other writers start to depict Jubilee/Chamber as still dating from here on out.
    These Voices Identity issues have been really great. This Gen X, along with Sina Grace's Iceman, were the only series that kept me engaged in the X-Men for a few years; very glad to have a brief moment back.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

I think I would like to see Strain have a go at Excalibur.

It's not the only X-Men related story. Bishop shows up in Wave's.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It's not the only X-Men related story. Bishop shows up in Wave's.
    Armor and Silver Samurai also have a story (with a Daken & Surge cameo). Silhoutte from the New Warriors has a story as well -- I believe she is a mutant.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

I wonder why no one's picked up the Jono/Jubilee dating thing too. It would be an easy thing to incorperate, wouldn't it?

Glad to see that Christina used this to expand on Jub's history, although I'm a bit surprised that she didn't have Logan show up as he's been a bit of a father figure to her and it could be an interesting moment to show past and present family, in addition to Jono and Shogo.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    Armor and Silver Samurai also have a story (with a Daken & Surge cameo). Silhoutte from the New Warriors has a story as well -- I believe she is a mutant.
    Is Sunfire getting one too?

This was an awesome short! The incorporation of the Tomb Sweeping tradition was so perfect... something I've never really seen in popularized American media. It's such a "normal" thing for my family to do so Strain really made a good choice to depict that particular tradition and tie it to Jubilee's story. The little montage of Jubilee's childhood could have been a little more nuanced... I'm sure Strain and I share so many little childhood idiosyncrasies so it would have been nice to see some specific ones. But just a minor critique! So good!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Is Sunfire getting one too?
    No. But if they do another Asian-focused MARVEL'S VOICES next year hopefully he'll get a turn then.

Sunfire does get mentioned in the introduction essay at the start of the book--or, more specifically, his animated version from the SPIDER-MAN & HIS AMAZING FRIENDS cartoon does.

A sweet story. I rather take this then 22 issues of Excalibur.

This reminds me why I like Jubilee. Sign me up as someone who would also like to see more of her and Jono(and this older shogo). Just not in Excalibur. Even though Jono is British that book would not be good for him.