Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I think the only time I have done this was with the Great Darkness Saga story from the Legion of Super Heroes. I bought the trade when it came out that collected just the story itself, but latter on when the oversized deluxe hardcover came out that collected not only the story but the issues before and after the story I ended up buying that also.

I don't buy them personally but my family will get them for me as birthday or Christmas gifts.

BANNED

Nope, too cheap for that. I buy it in one format and I'm done.

Incredible Member

Sometimes. It's a complicated formula factoring in price, size, space in my home, new content, and whether I remember what I own.

It depends. If I can sell the original issues for a decent price, then I'll replace them with the hardcover. If I can't, I'll consider having them bound into a hardcover edition myself. I don't like re-reading single issues much because they are kind of a hassle. I'm considering dropping a bunch of titles and just waiting for the hardcovers as it seems most stuff (superhero stuff, anyway) is released in hc these days.

I have double-dipped once, with Batman Inc. I own the entire series, pre- and post-Flashpoint and the one-shot but I couldn't sell them. Regardless, I bought the hardcovers anyway because I love that series so much.

BANNED

I do the opposite. I've bought TPB's as a last resort when I really wanted to read a story, and I eventually replaced them with the originals. I don't like reprints in any form, and
    that is how I would classify any compilation. Handy, but not something I can substitute for owning the real thing.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

If I can help it, I never buy TPBs/HCs -- hate the format.

And I'm certainly never going to buy different formats of the same thing.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

I only buy in TPBs, I own maybe a handful of HCs which I got because the extras were cool (Agents of Atlas) or because I hadn't found it in TPB (Clandestine).

Mainly I go for the cheaper option.

I'm fine with whatever format I have, with a few exceptions. If I have something in Essentials/Showcase, but a color collection becomes available cheap enough I'll buy it (Fantastic Four, ASM, Doom Patrol to name a few). If it's something I really love I'll buy a "better" version, like the Transmet Absolutes. Then there's stuff like Planetary where I have the majority of the material in a collection, but it's cheaper to buy the omnibus than what I'm missing.