Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Irv Novick, according to the DC Comics Database.
    Novick is one of those pencillers who doesn't get nearly the love he deserves.

I had a letter published in this one.

Last edited by Greg Hatcher; 08-21-2021 at 08:24 PM.
    You can find a bunch of books I wrote stories for here. The weekly column is here.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    And then there is the coloring mistake with Scarlet Witch wearing green. I guess they didn't tell the colorist her name..IIRC Stan Goldberg did a lot of the coloring work back in Marvel's Silver Age.
    It was intentional. She's next to Magneto, and they didn't want so much red all together. Mastermind is in green also, but his robe was brown in the story.

PS. Greg, your cover doesn't show up. A lot of people can't see covers from coverbrowser.com.
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    It was intentional. She's next to Magneto, and they didn't want so much red all together. Mastermind is in green also, but his robe was brown in the story.

PS. Greg, your cover doesn't show up. A lot of people can't see covers from coverbrowser.com.
    He would have to use the URL option.

NOT AN ENTRY

[img]30-1.jpg[/img]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-20-2021 at 01:19 PM.

And then there is the coloring mistake with Scarlet Witch wearing green. I guess they didn't tell the colorist her name..IIRC Stan Goldberg did a lot of the coloring work back in Marvel's Silver Age.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    Right. And this did not go unnoticed at the time of publication; back in X-Men #7's lettercol, a reader asked "If the Scarlet Witch is scarlet, how come she's always green on the cover?" referring to #4 and #5's covers. Marvel editorial's responded with "Sometimes we change a costume's color on the cover just to balance things a bit!" So--as Rob Allen stated--Wanda, Pietro and Mastermind were colored differently to help balance these covers.

TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

For me, this cover is the only appearance of Wanda's cousin, the Lime Witch.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    For me, this cover is the only appearance of Wanda's cousin, the Lime Witch.
    If only she had been wearing a dull yellow. Then we could have had...the Sand Witch!

*crickets*

I'll get my coat.

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    If only she had been wearing a dull yellow. Then we could have had...the Sand Witch!

*crickets*

I'll get my coat.
    Good one. Reminds of of this
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalla Bal View Post
    Right. And this did not go unnoticed at the time of publication; back in X-Men #7's lettercol, a reader asked "If the Scarlet Witch is scarlet, how come she's always green on the cover?" referring to #4 and #5's covers. Marvel editorial's responded with "Sometimes we change a costume's color on the cover just to balance things a bit!" So--as Rob Allen stated--Wanda, Pietro and Mastermind were colored differently to help balance these covers.
    right, but you have to take reasons like that with a grain of salt because Marvel had a habit of making excuses to rationalize or justify mistakes they made when they were called out on them in those days, usually tongue in cheek, but often enough it was a pattern where you have to consider the possibility any justification was made up after the fact not an actual reason why something happened the way it did. Goldberg has said in interviews somewhere (I forget where) he wasn't given any direction how to color the covers, just to get them done quickly so deadlines were met when asked about them. But again, that could be faulty memory on his part.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    right, but you have to take reasons like that with a grain of salt because Marvel had a habit of making excuses to rationalize or justify mistakes they made when they were called out on them in those days, usually tongue in cheek, but often enough it was a pattern where you have to consider the possibility any justification was made up after the fact not an actual reason why something happened the way it did. Goldberg has said in interviews somewhere (I forget where) he wasn't given any direction how to color the covers, just to get them done quickly so deadlines were met when asked about them. But again, that could be faulty memory on his part.

-M
    And in the very next issue, she is given the correct color and once more she is right next Magneto

5-2.jpg

NOT AN ENTRY

this may be why she has he pink tights for contrast .
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-21-2021 at 12:37 PM.

And because that annoying banner they put on everything back then detracts from the cover a bit, here is the letterless version-

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES