Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Speed Force gets my vote this week. Captain America and The Falcon were such a great team and I loved the issues they were partners. And Spiderman in the story? Sign me up! Old Web Head just looks so threatening looking down on the two of them.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Invincible Member

Kai "the Spy"...I'm a little surprised no one posted the Neal Adams tribute to this cover

Astonishing Member

How in the world can someone choose among these, all of which satisfy the theme in such an impressive fashion? With that caveat, I'll vote for

Tami, since Preacher's covers were always a favorite.

Stony.
    Tami was a close second.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Stony... because he's got the whole world in his hands!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Shalla Bal for a great Phantom Lady cover.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

CaptCleghorn's Kaluta classic gets my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    right, but you have to take reasons like that with a grain of salt because Marvel had a habit of making excuses to rationalize or justify mistakes they made when they were called out on them in those days, usually tongue in cheek, but often enough it was a pattern where you have to consider the possibility any justification was made up after the fact not an actual reason why something happened the way it did. Goldberg has said in interviews somewhere (I forget where) he wasn't given any direction how to color the covers, just to get them done quickly so deadlines were met when asked about them. But again, that could be faulty memory on his part.

-M
    Yes I've read a lot of Goldberg's interviews, very informative and I have no doubt Goldberg wasn't given direction. He had carte blanche basically.

Also read in many of his interviews that at that time his goal was to "balance" the cover colors (by not using too much of a color family, spread the wealth around so to speak), which is what he did here--regardless of whether he knew of the costume colors or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    And in the very next issue, she is given the correct color and once more she is right next Magneto

Attachment 112889

NOT AN ENTRY

this may be why she has he pink tights for contrast .
    No, your image is that of a recolored version for a reprint or collection. On the original #5 cover she's colored green.
    On #6 she's seen verrrrry far in the background and seems to be red. She's also not near Magneto
    On #7 she's similarly not adjacent to Mags and is in a purply-crimson color (on the original cover).
    Last edited by Shalla Bal; 08-24-2021 at 11:30 AM.

Makes you wonder how many original costume color choices had more to do with practicality in printing rather than artistic vision.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Oh and my vote is for Ajax-X.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shalla Bal View Post
    Yes I've read a lot of Goldberg's interviews, very informative and I have no doubt Goldberg wasn't given direction. He had carte blanche basically.

Also read in many of his interviews that at that time his goal was to "balance" the cover colors (by not using too much of a color family, spread the wealth around so to speak), which is what he did here--regardless of whether he knew of the costume colors or not.

No, your image is that of a recolored version. On the original #5 cover she's colored green.
    On #6 she's seen verrrrry far in the background and seems to be red. She's also not near Magneto
    On #7 she's similarly not adjacent to Mags and is in a purply-crimson color (on the original cover).
    I stand corrected. I assumed the cover on the Coverbrowser.com was the original. Mycomicshop has the one with the green costume. Since the interior pages don't have in in green it makes one think the colorist on the cover was not the colorist for the individual pages.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-24-2021 at 11:34 AM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I’m voting for seismic-2 this week! Extra points for Jean crunching the cover logo.,
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I stand corrected. I assumed the cover on the Coverbrowser.com was the original. Mycomicshop has the one with the green costume. Since the interior pages don't have in in green it makes one think the colorist on the cover was not the colorist for the individual pages.
    Who knows, may well have been Stan G for both cover & interior...or not.
    Despite the correct coloring inside, the point is that at times the all-important covers were deliberately colored shall we say "creatively" in order to achieve balance or a certain effect, etc.

Another "green" costume is on Avengers #29, look at Natasha! (She's also missing her webbing.)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Makes you wonder how many original costume color choices had more to do with practicality in printing rather than artistic vision.
    A lot. The Phantom is perhaps the most striking example.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shalla Bal View Post
    Who knows, may well have been Stan G for both cover & interior...or not.
    Despite the correct coloring inside, the point is that at times the all-important covers were deliberately colored shall we say "creatively" in order to achieve balance or a certain effect, etc.

Another "green" costume is on Avengers #29, look at Natasha! (She's also missing her webbing.)
    Now that one I do recall. I think that was back when my Dad was buying us comics. There was a tendency in comics to color black costumes with blue highlights and there is already a lot of dark colors around her. The green does make her stand out....but you may have thought she joined Hydra!
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-25-2021 at 09:28 AM.