Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Here is the original art, with the ink wash Shadow and the pen and ink foreground overlay.

Wow. There was even more to this Kaluta classic than I knew. Thank you, Kirby, for pointing out the added details of this art. And as to the peak of the week where the captain goes on about what he had learned, the concept of artistic license is strong with the comic book cover where the influence of a particular character is brought forth with a simple technique of showing them bigger than the other characters. This is another reason that we relish the comic book as a vlid and powerful medium for story telling.

Another contest will be posted within hours so there is no need to worry.

I must thank the efforts and votes from Englehart Humperdinck, Kai "the spy", kjn, and Riv86672 who bonded together and pushed me over the top. Now that I sit on top, I shall not forget those who supported me. Thank you!
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

I must thank the efforts and votes from Englehart Humperdinck, Kai "the spy", kjn, and Riv86672 who bonded together and pushed me over the top.
    The four of us were like —

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Congratulations to CaptCleghorn! And thanks to WestPhillyPunisher for tallying the votes

I always think my brothers and I got our interest in comics from our father. When he was a younger he always read The Shadow and The Spider. So he always very willing to pick up comics for us at the a local business called the Magazine Mart. - which also had a bookie joint in the back where he would place a bit on the Kentucky Derby for my older sister who was too young to gamble but loved horse racing!

Good to see a cover featuring the Shadow winning this week.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-25-2021 at 09:35 AM.

Congratulations Captain.

Thank you foxley for the vote. I also enjoy that cover because of …reasons.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Great job Capt!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Congrats Capt! And thanks for the vote K7P5V!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I was surprised this cover did not show up.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

The "looming villain in the background" was a favorite theme by Kirby in the Silver Age it would seem.

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Not just villains.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Especially with Doom, you get a lot of Kirby covers with big Dr. Doom on them:

Still I think maybe the best comic run of all time. ALL TIME
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Indeed!

On another note, this cover by Al Mligrom came immediately to me when I first saw the theme. It's one of those larger than life covers that is true to the story as Morgan really did grow a gigantic stone body and grabbed She-Hulk.

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I'm guessing the prevalence of these types of covers in Silver Age Marvel books means the quarterly sales reports showed these types of covers had better sell throughs than other types of covers. Once the direct market was established for long-term customers to get their predetermined fixes it didn't matter much, but covers were the selling point in the mass market periodical business, and if that type of cover didn't sell well, they wouldn't have been used so often.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Congrats, CaptCleghorn! That really is a great cover. And I loved seeing the original art for it.

Also, thanks for the vote, Tami. I love that giant iguana too!

Before this thread plunges into the depths of the forum, let me show what this cover:

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    made me think of:

Well, not a comic cover but it’s iconic…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Doom also had the habit of shrinking people, so there is always that too ... Alpha Flight 91.jpg

MA Spider-Man #9.jpg
    Last edited by DoomScribe; 08-27-2021 at 10:18 AM.
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria