View Poll Results: Do you miss Alfred?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • I won't be satisfied until he's back!

46 28.93%
  • I'd like to see him back, but I'm willing to wait a bit.

57 35.85%
  • I was hesitant, but I've come around to the idea of his death and accept its importance.

30 18.87%
  • I don't really miss him all that much to be honest.

26 16.35%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Of course I miss Alfred. Though DC canon has been a complete mess and characters have been destroyed left and right. So, I guess doing that spares him from living in a screwed up DCU. But still. Alfred is a character that belongs in stories about Bruce Wayne. And shock value deaths of beloved characters are cheap and a sign of laziness from the creator who does it.

Alfred lives on in our hearts and in out of continuity DC books.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

NOTE: This thread / poll was started in August 2021.
    --------------------

With 102 people having voted,
    * I'd like to see him back, but I'm willing to wait a bit = 41 votes (+2)
    * I won't be satisfied until he's back! = 26 votes (+3)
    * I was hesitant, but I've come around to the idea of his death and accept its importance= 19 votes (+2)
    * I don't really miss him all that much to be honest = 16 votes (+1)

Spectacular Member Earth-2 Refugee's Avatar

I think Robin has shown that the DC Universe has moved on, and Alfred creates more story potential and character development dead rather than alive.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Earth-2 Refugee View Post
    I think Robin has shown that the DC Universe has moved on, and Alfred creates more story potential and character development dead rather than alive.
    I strongly feel like this isn't the case. Classic characters shouldn't be killed off.

Quote Originally Posted by Earth-2 Refugee View Post
    I think Robin has shown that the DC Universe has moved on, . . .
    . . . as well as some of the former readers.

The answer to the OP question...
    Yes I miss him.

Bring him back though?
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Astonishing Member

In my Grandiose opinion, continuing the Bat Mythos( Except for Batman Beyond) without Alfred on a permanent basis is idiocy. Of course he won’t stay dead. He’ll probably be brought back as some version of the Outsder, Then be cured. Death actually used to have far more credibility as a story telling device in comic books than it did on soap operas. Low bar I Know. Maybe Hush will return as an evil Alfred imposter or have one that he’s managing.
    Last edited by Photon Torme; 06-14-2022 at 04:59 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Photon Torme View Post
    In my Grandiose opinion, continuing the Bst Mythos( Except for Batman Beyond) without Alfred on a permanent basis is idiocy. Of course he won’t stay dead. He’ll probably be brought back as some version of the Outsder, Then be cured. Death actually used to have far more credibility as a story telling device in comic books than it did on soap operas. Low bar I Know. Maybe Hush will return as an evil Alfred imposter or have one that he’s managing.
    As I said in my earlier post on this thread, I think killing off classic characters is a bad idea. It it a shortcut that creators use when they're feeling too lazy to tell their own unique stories. As is radically changing a character suddenly or attaching a new character to to classic character. It's a shortcut to allow said creator to leave a mark on whatever corner of whatever fictional universe the creator was in charge of. Which I would say stems from ego. When a creator either doesn't fully respect the character and story, shortterm gain overrides the longterm goal of preserving the story in current and future comics. The best creators find a way to do that and also can add on what they're given. Deconstructionism in fiction has been very popular a long time. But when characters, their supporting casts, and their stories keep getting torn apart, you eventually lose their essences. Anyway, that's just my two cents on the matter. And connects to the fact that the writer who killed Alfred. All he does is deconstructionism.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicalComics View Post
    As I said in my earlier post on this thread, I think killing off classic characters is a bad idea. It it a shortcut that creators use when they're feeling too lazy to tell their own unique stories. As is radically changing a character suddenly or attaching a new character to to classic character. It's a shortcut to allow said creator to leave a mark on whatever corner of whatever fictional universe the creator was in charge of. Which I would say stems from ego. When a creator either doesn't fully respect the character and story, shortterm gain overrides the longterm goal of preserving the story in current and future comics. The best creators find a way to do that and also can add on what they're given. Deconstructionism in fiction has been very popular a long time. But when characters, their supporting casts, and their stories keep getting torn apart, you eventually lose their essences. Anyway, that's just my two cents on the matter. And connects to the fact that the writer who killed Alfred. All he does is deconstructionism.
    But, was it Tom King's plan/decision to kill off Alfred or was his death (or at least continued death?) something that came down from higher ups?

No matter how little I think of King's writing when it came to Batman, I really don't know how much editorial interference he may have had with the final product.

Alfred in recent years was only good for cheap Batfamily feels moments, so he is definitely better off dead. You'll always have flashbacks for that noise.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But, was it Tom King's plan/decision to kill off Alfred or was his death (or at least continued death?) something that came down from higher ups?

No matter how little I think of King's writing when it came to Batman, I really don't know how much editorial interference he may have had with the final product.
    King intended to bring him back later in the story. He was told by editorial “no no let’s leave him dead because it’ll set up some other stuff (5G) we have planned.”
    Cheers - CL

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

King wanted it to be Scarecrow gas illusion, but when he showed it to Didio, he wants him killed for real. He said in the published art you can see hint of Scarecrow gas in the background. It was an interview with a comic book Youtuber

They should bring him back as a villain. The Butler.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Coco Loco View Post
    King intended to bring him back later in the story. He was told by editorial “no no let’s leave him dead because it’ll set up some other stuff (5G) we have planned.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    King wanted it to be Scarecrow gas illusion, but when he showed it to Didio, he wants him killed for real. He said in the published art you can see hint of Scarecrow gas in the background. It was an interview with a comic book Youtuber
    I stand corrected. Still, my opinion remains of his run and the angle of deconstructionism.