View Poll Results: Do you miss Alfred?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • I won't be satisfied until he's back!

46 28.93%
  • I'd like to see him back, but I'm willing to wait a bit.

57 35.85%
  • I was hesitant, but I've come around to the idea of his death and accept its importance.

30 18.87%
  • I don't really miss him all that much to be honest.

26 16.35%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Do You Miss Alfred?

Alfred's been dead for like a year or two now, so I'm curious to see what people's opinions have been in his absence. Do you think that his death carries an important weight, or do you feel like all of the Batman stories have been missing something that can't be fixed without him?
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Incredible Member

Na not really. However, to be fair, I have not been reading the main Batbook since Tynion took over.

Has anyone filled his role in that book?

I miss him and think they shouldn't have killed him. But now they better let this man rest in peace.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Astonishing Member

To my slight surprise - and speaking mostly for Tec, because I'm not an especial fan of what Tynion's been doing - it's massively helped Bruce as a character. He's much more dynamic when he isn't perpetually on the phone to his dad.

I do miss him. Was I happy with his death? No but I dont think they should just bring him back like that.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Every day. He was the rock. And since he's been gone, I've liked the books a lot, but they are missing him.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    I miss him and think they shouldn't have killed him. But now they better let this man rest in peace.
    Haw, Haw, Haw. Are you one that believed in the Death of Superman too?
    I will be surprised If they wait until the next obligatory crisis even to unbury Alfred. No rest for the domestic, I say!

Oh, and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE HAPPENED during City of the Bat. Only the producers showed their inability to do a real story. To make that less obvious, THEY, NOT BANE vanquished the obnoxious Butler!
    Last edited by The Nice Centurion; 07-14-2022 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Nice Centurion View Post
    Haw, Haw, Haw. Are you one that believed in the Death of Superman too?
    I will be surprised If they wait until the next obligatory crisis even to unbury Alfred. No rest for the domestic, I say!
    But considering how long he's been dead at this point, I'm not so confident they'll bring Alfred as quickly as you seem to be saying. How many writers for Batman and Detective Comics have we gone through since Alfred's death?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But considering how long he's been dead at this point, I'm not so confident they'll bring Alfred as quickly as you seem to be saying. How many writers for Batman and Detective Comics have we gone through since Alfred's death?
    True that Alfred could have been brought back by now. I think that Alfred will not be back for sure this year , especially with Dark Crisis running the rest of the year.
    I do think that there's a good chance that Alfred may come back in 2023 .
    Also we obviously don't know how much of an impact Dark Crisis will have . Will it reset everything ? Or maybe just some things ? Or maybe have no effect at all ?
    For now it looks like editorial at the Bat office, is using this period to have Bruce more on his own. ( Well he does have Oracle helping out ).

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Especially since he left everything Dick in his will.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

DC kills their elderly pretty easily but Marvel still keeps Aunt May going.
    "Cable was right!"

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    DC kills their elderly pretty easily but Marvel still keeps Aunt May going.
    DC has a weird thing for killing parents/parental figures.

Marvel likes them to be gone but later revealed as super spies or aliens or demons.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

From August 2021:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Alfred's been dead for like a year or two now, so I'm curious to see what people's opinions have been in his absence. Do you think that his death carries an important weight, or do you feel like all of the Batman stories have been missing something that can't be fixed without him?
    With 68 people having voted,
    * I'd like to see him back, but I'm willing to wait a bit = 30 votes
    * I won't be satisfied until he's back! = 16 votes
    * I don't really miss him all that much to be honest = 12 votes
    * I was hesitant, but I've come around to the idea of his death and accept its importance= 10 votes

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I still can go another year without him. Tynion and Williamson have done the grief processing for Bruce and Damian, Tamaki has shown how Bruce operates alone, and Dick's announced what he's going to do with Alfred's money. The transition stories are over and now we're settling into the status quo of World Without Alfred.

So he can't come back yet. Roy's back in Titans but Academy's story is closing. The Bat fam's world without Alfred has just begun. So another year.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I still can go another year without him. Tynion and Williamson have done the grief processing for Bruce and Damian, Tamaki has shown how Bruce operates alone, and Dick's announced what he's going to do with Alfred's money. The transition stories are over and now we're settling into the status quo of World Without Alfred.

So he can't come back yet. Roy's back in Titans but Academy's story is closing. The Bat fam's world without Alfred has just begun. So another year.

I have to say that I do miss Alfred . But right now is too soon to bring him back.
    In a way it's good to see Bruce operating alone for now. But eventually he'll be back in Gotham where he'll have Oracle and the rest of the Bat family .
    You never know if DC has another Crisis and Alfred comes back ?