View Poll Results: Do you miss Alfred?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • I won't be satisfied until he's back!

46 28.93%
  • I'd like to see him back, but I'm willing to wait a bit.

57 35.85%
  • I was hesitant, but I've come around to the idea of his death and accept its importance.

30 18.87%
  • I don't really miss him all that much to be honest.

26 16.35%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Oh. We know. King told in a Youtube interview, don't remember the channel, it was a comics review channel... that the original plan was to have the killing to be only Scarecrow gas hallucination. You can even see the gas still existing in that page, because it's a last minute switch.

When he showed the plan and the drawing to Didio, he really likes it and phoned him, telling he wanted the killing to be real. King doubted that it was a good decision, but since it turns out that issue sold like hot cakes, he concluded that Didio was right.

That's as much as the thought go into killing him.

Actually I didn't know about that King Youtube interview. To have had a Scarecrow gas hallucination would have been really good. They could have fooled us for a few issues with it.
    I think that we all know that Didio was always in favor of getting rid of certain characters.
    Didio stayed too long at DC in my opinion.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
    I think Alfred's daughter is one of those parts of canon most writers wish was not canon, so they conveniently ignore it most of the time. The issue with the daughter is that it conflicts with Alfred's whole character, which is unconditional devotion.

Alfred's whole thing is that his life is his family, and his family is our main cast. His charm is that he loves Bruce like his own son, and that he cares for the rest of the Batfamily deeply too. I think the latest issues of Nightwing do a good job of portraying how essential he was, and how much his care made a difference. Being an unconditionally loving parent is heroism in its own right - and I think that's the angle they've gone for a lot lately, and we see that mirrored in some adaptions too. The Alfred in Gotham is a good example.

Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Honestly I think giving Alfred a daughter was an attempt at actually giving the man a life beyond the cave. The main problem is that you can't give him a daughter he doesn't raise without staining his character who quite frankly has become too much deified but that's a whole other discussion.

We all understand and appreciate Alfred's love and devotion to Bruce and the family but on the other end this seemingly perpetual servitude doesn't paint the characters in a good light. As Bruce is getting older so is Alfred and still having him be the butler with no sort of promotion or development is strange. By this point he should either have something else going on or allow him to serve a different role in the family. Would love to see Alfred outside the manor actually living his own life and helping or visiting the family from time to time.
    It worked in the original when he didn't know he had a daughter, but in the new version he knew, but just got stuck taking care of the Manor and Bruce following the Waynes will to avoid both falling into the greedy Kane family. He didn't intend to stay long at first, but fell in love with the kid anyway and ended up having estranged relationship with his actual daughter.

Has Julia been seen since Rebirth Batwoman...?

Honestly I think giving Alfred a daughter was an attempt at actually giving the man a life beyond the cave. The main problem is that you can't give him a daughter he doesn't raise without staining his character who quite frankly has become too much deified but that's a whole other discussion.

We all understand and appreciate Alfred's love and devotion to Bruce and the family but on the other end this seemingly perpetual servitude doesn't paint the characters in a good light. As Bruce is getting older so is Alfred and still having him be the butler with no sort of promotion or development is strange. By this point he should either have something else going on or allow him to serve a different role in the family. Would love to see Alfred outside the manor actually living his own life and helping or visiting the family from time to time.
    Back when they first introduced the idea of Alfred having a daughter (Detective Comics #501-502 from early 1981), Alfred had been involved with British intelligence during WWII and had worked with Mademoiselle Marie in France, so it was more a "chance encounter" during dangerous times that resulted in Julia's birth.
    It wasn't as if he had been dating Marie during more "normal" times then just walked out on mother and daughter.

Also, I can't remember if back then they were still using the idea that Alfred came to work for Bruce later in life (as when he was originally introduced back in 1943) or if they had already changed his past so that he had been with the Waynes prior to Bruce's birth.

Spectacular Member

We all understand and appreciate Alfred's love and devotion to Bruce and the family but on the other end this seemingly perpetual servitude doesn't paint the characters in a good light.
    Why? That is how he can help, and that is how he can be close by. There's nothing wrong with that. Many people of noble character live like that around the globe, even if it's rare in the United States.

As Bruce is getting older so is Alfred and still having him be the butler with no sort of promotion or development is strange.
    What promotion is there to have? Alfred is the only person in that manor. He enjoys his job, and he enjoys being close to Bruce. I don't think anyone is under the impression that Alfred sees his position as a career move. He'd have retired long ago if that was the case.

Would love to see Alfred outside the manor actually living his own life and helping or visiting the family from time to time.
    He would likely be much more unhappy living away from his family, adoptive as it may be. Tom Taylor penned a touching issue a few years back from Alfred's perspective that dives into that - it's Batman Annual #3. Here's his response to a brief exchange with Leslie:

Alfred: "I am happy to jump when he calls. Every time I hear his voice."

Think of any seniors you may know - when are they most happy? In my experience, it's when they get to be surrounded by those they love frequently. And it's clear that it's a two-way street, since the same issue ends with Bruce lovingly staying in as a gift to Alfred for Father's Day.

From August 2021:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Alfred's been dead for like a year or two now, so I'm curious to see what people's opinions have been in his absence. Do you think that his death carries an important weight, or do you feel like all of the Batman stories have been missing something that can't be fixed without him?
    With 68 people having voted,
    * I'd like to see him back, but I'm willing to wait a bit = 30 votes
    * I won't be satisfied until he's back! = 16 votes
    * I don't really miss him all that much to be honest = 12 votes
    * I was hesitant, but I've come around to the idea of his death and accept its importance= 10 votes

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I still can go another year without him. Tynion and Williamson have done the grief processing for Bruce and Damian, Tamaki has shown how Bruce operates alone, and Dick's announced what he's going to do with Alfred's money. The transition stories are over and now we're settling into the status quo of World Without Alfred.

So he can't come back yet. Roy's back in Titans but Academy's story is closing. The Bat fam's world without Alfred has just begun. So another year.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I still can go another year without him. Tynion and Williamson have done the grief processing for Bruce and Damian, Tamaki has shown how Bruce operates alone, and Dick's announced what he's going to do with Alfred's money. The transition stories are over and now we're settling into the status quo of World Without Alfred.

So he can't come back yet. Roy's back in Titans but Academy's story is closing. The Bat fam's world without Alfred has just begun. So another year.

I have to say that I do miss Alfred . But right now is too soon to bring him back.
    In a way it's good to see Bruce operating alone for now. But eventually he'll be back in Gotham where he'll have Oracle and the rest of the Bat family .
    You never know if DC has another Crisis and Alfred comes back ?

BANNED

Actually, no. I'm surprised they kept him dead this long, and it has undoubtedly opened up more story avenues- mainly, make Bruce more humbled, than the out of touch rich twit he turned into the last 20 years who had Alfred do things he didn't even need just because he felt entitled to them. Also, most writers did only a one-note version of Alfred- the comedy relief version that eventually consumed the animated version of the character, making dry one liners left and right. Alfred was fine when used as another supporting character who filled a purpose like in Pre-Crisis; he had no purpose for existing when he's making Bruce 14-course meals like in Tom King's abysmal run.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil1 View Post
    Actually, no. I'm surprised they kept him dead this long, and it has undoubtedly opened up more story avenues- mainly, make Bruce more humbled, than the out of touch rich twit he turned into the last 20 years who had Alfred do things he didn't even need just because he felt entitled to them. Also, most writers did only a one-note version of Alfred- the comedy relief version that eventually consumed the animated version of the character, making dry one liners left and right. Alfred was fine when used as another supporting character who filled a purpose like in Pre-Crisis; he had no purpose for existing when he's making Bruce 14-course meals like in Tom King's abysmal run.
    Some of those one-liners were really good though...

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil1 View Post
    ...Alfred was barely there pre-crisis, he didn't become a legitimate supporting character until the early 90's.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I'm happy to stick with my "I'd like to see him back, but I'm willing to wait a bit" vote, however, the entire point of Robin's book is set up to bring Alfred back so I'll be very confused if that doesn't happen relatively soon.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    . . . however, the entire point of Robin's book is set up to bring Alfred back so I'll be very confused if that doesn't happen relatively soon.
    Don't have any interest in reading Robin so I have no clue as to how that pertains to Alfred returning.

shouldn't have killed him in the first place.
    Batman - Daredevil

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Don't have any interest in reading Robin so I have no clue as to how that pertains to Alfred returning.
    Um, cool? That doesn't negate my comment.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!