View Poll Results: Do you miss Alfred?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • I won't be satisfied until he's back!

46 28.93%
  • I'd like to see him back, but I'm willing to wait a bit.

57 35.85%
  • I was hesitant, but I've come around to the idea of his death and accept its importance.

30 18.87%
  • I don't really miss him all that much to be honest.

26 16.35%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

It was the stupidest thing Tom King has ever written (that's saying something) but now we're stuck between a rock and a hard place. The only thing dumber than killing Alfred would be bringing him back. Alfred's place in the mythos has essentially been ruined forever now. I have no idea what to do about the character moving forward. All I know is his death was a soulless and cynical cash-grab.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGlovez View Post
    It was the stupidest thing Tom King has ever written (that's saying something) but now we're stuck between a rock and a hard place. The only thing dumber than killing Alfred would be bringing him back. Alfred's place in the mythos has essentially been ruined forever now. I have no idea what to do about the character moving forward. All I know is his death was a soulless and cynical cash-grab.
    Eh, his death isn't hard to un-do at all. They'd just need to say, "Yeah, that was a really bad book and it doesn't exist anymore." And then just bring him back like nothing happened.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Eh, his death isn't hard to un-do at all. They'd just need to say, "Yeah, that was a really bad book and it doesn't exist anymore." And then just bring him back like nothing happened.
    Or Bane (or some other villain mastermind) replaced him with an android before he (android Alfred) was killed, allowing the real Alfred to still be alive (either as a captive or an amnesiac) somewhere else.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Ruined forever how exactly

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Or Bane (or some other villain mastermind) replaced him with an android before he (android Alfred) was killed, allowing the real Alfred to still be alive (either as a captive or an amnesiac) somewhere else.
    Eh, I don't see the need to over complicate it just tell it straight. They could even add in an editor's note if they wanted
    :: Alfred walks into panel casually: Editor's note: How is Alfred alive and well you ask? It's easy readers, Batman #77 was a terrible idea and I think we all know it, so just ignore it from here on out because we sure are!.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

His death is easily undone with all the Pits lying around but it's not nothing happened since Dick and Damian's current story's built on that.

Bruce's biggest enabler?

Not really.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Surprisingly... no, I don't.

I like Alfred a sa character, but he had become sor tof a one-trick pony for a long time now, and I think his absence isn't really worth the trouble of bringing him back.
    Similarly, I also like and enjoy Alfred's character. But I can't say I miss him, either. Alfred is kind of used as a crutch-character of sorts, and I like the things that have been able to happen with him not in the picture to lean on.

Spectacular Member

I miss Alfred, and I would very much like him back. Alfred is one of my favorite comicbook characters of all time.

That being said, I love that his death has led to many touching tributes to the character in all these different books. I wouldn't mind waiting another year.

Are we talking "crutch" in terms of someone that Bruce could always talk to and rely on?

Fantastic Member

Nope. Alfred has become one of the most overrated Bat-Characters. I miss Pre-Crisis where Alfred was just the butler and a good ally, not the surrogate dad who's also a secret agent badass who gets put on a pedestal.
    Last edited by TheBatman; 08-20-2021 at 01:59 PM.

Dude, it's not even the first time Alfred has died in comics.

I mostly just want his death undone so that I can officially pretend that King's run didn't happen. But I can't say that I particularly miss him.

I like Alfred. Even if he is a bit of a Charles Xavier at times (a character who's depicted as this super nice father figure but they're actually kind of a scumbag). But I'm not really clamoring for him to come back just yet. Especially since I'm pretty sure that's where things are heading in this Robin series.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    I mostly just want his death undone so that I can officially pretend that King's run didn't happen. But I can't say that I particularly miss him.

I like Alfred. Even if he is a bit of a Charles Xavier at times (a character who's depicted as this super nice father figure but they're actually kind of a scumbag). But I'm not really clamoring for him to come back just yet. Especially since I'm pretty sure that's where things are heading in this Robin series.
    I feel like I need some context here, although I think even Alfred's worse moments pale in comparison to some of the stuff Xavier gets up to, and I prefer the more idealized Professor X.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like I need some context here, although I think even Alfred's worse moments pale in comparison to some of the stuff Xavier gets up to, and I prefer the more idealized Professor X.
    I hate what Krakoa has done to Charles. I was kinda iffy on what it's done to a few X-Men (Cept Jean and Kitty. This era has been nothing but wonderful to them) but Charles has been the worst.

He's always been a jerk. Kitty said as much, like...how long ago was that? 30 years? But holy ****, running a nation has brought his pompous levels up to 100. Like...dude really has me regretting the fact that I missed him during that surprisingly long period where he was dead.

And no. Alfred's nowhere near that bad. But he's made quite a few decisions in the past that have me giving him the side-eye. Enabling or excusing Bruce's bad decisions (like recruiting Robins in the first place) and overall dickheadedness. Straight up cosigning on the boldfaced lie, perpetuated in King's run, about Selina being the only thing that makes Bruce happy. Talking a still freshly resurrected, ten year old Damian into staying away from his own father after he lost his memories. Because Bruce's happiness obviously takes precedence over the child he created and fought tooth and nail to keep in his life. Enabling the We Are Robin kids, which was definitely NOT a gamble he should have been taking. IIRC, there was more than one moment of victim blaming in regards to Jason's death; once again in attempt to absolve Bruce from any responsibility.

Basically, Alfred IS that super nice father figure...to Bruce. But sometimes I can't help but wonder if that courtesy only extends to everyone else so long as it's not a big inconvenience to Bruce.

Again, I like Alfred. But uh...he is very much an extension of Bruce in both the positive and negative ways.
    Last edited by Blue22; 08-21-2021 at 08:07 AM.