View Poll Results: Do you miss Alfred?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • I won't be satisfied until he's back!

46 28.93%
  • I'd like to see him back, but I'm willing to wait a bit.

57 35.85%
  • I was hesitant, but I've come around to the idea of his death and accept its importance.

30 18.87%
  • I don't really miss him all that much to be honest.

26 16.35%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I'm happy to stick with my "I'd like to see him back, but I'm willing to wait a bit" vote, however, the entire point of Robin's book is set up to bring Alfred back so I'll be very confused if that doesn't happen relatively soon.
    I'm thinking the plot of the Alfred series provides a much better way back, in that it allows them to say he never actually died and his "death" was a conspiracy created to mask his abduction by his old Red Scare enemies.

The less mumbo-jumbo the better in my opinion.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

By the way, this wasn't the thread, but I remember someone asking Alfred's age, and I just remember that since Alfred's appearance in comic is based on his first actor William Austin in 1943, and he was born in 1884, the average age of Alfred, since he's always drawn the same no matter how much time passed, is around 60.

NOTE: This thread / poll was started in August 2021.
    --------------------

With 79 people having voted,
    * I'd like to see him back, but I'm willing to wait a bit = 34 votes
    * I won't be satisfied until he's back! = 19 votes
    * I was hesitant, but I've come around to the idea of his death and accept its importance= 14 votes
    * I don't really miss him all that much to be honest = 12 votes

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I'm happy to stick with my "I'd like to see him back, but I'm willing to wait a bit" vote, however, the entire point of Robin's book is set up to bring Alfred back so I'll be very confused if that doesn't happen relatively soon.
    By the way, as a person not reading Williamson's Robin, any progress on that yet?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I'm thinking the plot of the Alfred series provides a much better way back, in that it allows them to say he never actually died and his "death" was a conspiracy created to mask his abduction by his old Red Scare enemies.

The less mumbo-jumbo the better in my opinion.

Actually I like that idea to eventually bring Alfred back .
    I think that maybe in another year DC should bring him back.

All-New Member

Note: This is the perspective of someone who mainly watches adaptations and is a new comic reader and as such I haven't seen the Death of Alfred just some of the fallout even years later.

Do I miss Alfred? I suppose I do. He has been a good anchor and a supporting character to Bruce for longer than my parents have been alive and he has been very good in that role for that time. He felt like a father figure that the family cared for and he cared for in return. That dynamic and support is missed in the comics.

HOWEVER: do I think Alfred should come back? No. He definitely shouldn't. Not unless the universe is getting reset and everything else is changing around so we could benefit from having Alfred in the cave as a point of reference again. He is a mentor figure that has reached a point where the characters he supported are ready and able to walk without him. He is dead, so it is time to demonstrate the weight of that loss on the family who remember and grieve him and have to deal with the fact that he's never going to be there to stitch up their wounds and help build them back up when they fail and doubt themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    By the way, as a person not reading Williamson's Robin, any progress on that yet?
    They are close, at least from the end of last month's issue. I have not read yesterdays yet.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

--------------------

With 88 people having voted,
    * I'd like to see him back, but I'm willing to wait a bit = 37 votes
    * I won't be satisfied until he's back! = 21 votes
    * I was hesitant, but I've come around to the idea of his death and accept its importance= 15 votes
    * I don't really miss him all that much to be honest = 15 votes

Incredible Member

--------------------

With 88 people having voted,
    * I'd like to see him back, but I'm willing to wait a bit = 37 votes
    * I won't be satisfied until he's back! = 21 votes
    * I was hesitant, but I've come around to the idea of his death and accept its importance= 15 votes

Well the majority of people in your Poll want Alfred back in some way.
    The Last Robin issue was interesting in that regard.
    There's no point in bringing Alfred back as an angry monster at first . I wouldn't like that.
    But eventually I hope that he'll be back .

Quote Originally Posted by TheKryptonMan View Post
    Well the majority of people in your Poll want Alfred back in some way.
    It's not my poll. I just update the count every now and then for comparison-sake.

Here's he guy who started this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Alfred's been dead for like a year or two now, so I'm curious to see what people's opinions have been in his absence. Do you think that his death carries an important weight, or do you feel like all of the Batman stories have been missing something that can't be fixed without him?

Incredible Member

It's not my poll. I just update the count every now and then for comparison-sake.

Here's he guy who started this:
    Oh ok , I didn't realize it .

Actually I think that Alfred's death does carry an important weight, because Batman/Bruce has had to operate differently.
    So Alfred's death seems to have affected Bruce the most , followed by Dick & Damian . To some degree Jason a bit too.
    Tim unfortunately is not featured much in either Batman or Detective .

--------------------

With 94 people having voted,
    * I'd like to see him back, but I'm willing to wait a bit = 39 votes (+2)
    * I won't be satisfied until he's back! = 23 votes (+2)
    * I was hesitant, but I've come around to the idea of his death and accept its importance= 17 votes (+2)

Quote Originally Posted by Kotre View Post
    Note: This is the perspective of someone who mainly watches adaptations and is a new comic reader and as such I haven't seen the Death of Alfred just some of the fallout even years later.

Do I miss Alfred? I suppose I do. He has been a good anchor and a supporting character to Bruce for longer than my parents have been alive and he has been very good in that role for that time. He felt like a father figure that the family cared for and he cared for in return. That dynamic and support is missed in the comics.

HOWEVER: do I think Alfred should come back? No. He definitely shouldn't. Not unless the universe is getting reset and everything else is changing around so we could benefit from having Alfred in the cave as a point of reference again. He is a mentor figure that has reached a point where the characters he supported are ready and able to walk without him. He is dead, so it is time to demonstrate the weight of that loss on the family who remember and grieve him and have to deal with the fact that he's never going to be there to stitch up their wounds and help build them back up when they fail and doubt themselves.
    This is how I feel about it

All-New Member

I honestly miss him. He was the glue that held the Batfamily together. I mean he was one of the only people batman truly trusted.

BANNED

I like to headcanon the mental Alfred Damien occasionally talks to is the real one