View Poll Results: Do you miss Alfred?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • I won't be satisfied until he's back!

46 28.93%
  • I'd like to see him back, but I'm willing to wait a bit.

57 35.85%
  • I was hesitant, but I've come around to the idea of his death and accept its importance.

30 18.87%
  • I don't really miss him all that much to be honest.

26 16.35%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Ventriloquist was killed once and replaced by a woman. The next Crisis brought him back and mysoginistically annihilated the woman.

During City of Bane, Two Face lost an eye and was commentarless miracally healed within the storyline.

Penguin was shot death and what? Did DC even refer to this death or is he commentarlessly shown alive after CoB?

In Batman 125 he already "dies" again!

Quote Originally Posted by The Nice Centurion View Post
    Ventriloquist was killed once and replaced by a woman. The next Crisis brought him back and mysoginistically annihilated the woman.

During City of Bane, Two Face lost an eye and was commentarless miracally healed within the storyline.

Penguin was shot death and what? Did DC even refer to this death or is he commentarlessly shown alive after CoB?

But those aren't regular cast members like Alfred is (was) . . .

time has passed and I'm still happy he has remained dead. I hope they keep him as dead as possible for as long as possible, and that his death will be a tent pole for more meaningful and long-term character deaths going forward.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Alfred isn't always nice

6595977-35.jpg

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    time has passed and I'm still happy he has remained dead. I hope they keep him as dead as possible for as long as possible, and that his death will be a tent pole for more meaningful and long-term character deaths going forward.

I really don't understand the thinking behind " that Alfred's death will be a tent pole for more meaningful and long-term character deaths going forward " . What does that accomplish ? We all buy the comics to read up on our favorite characters, what does it accomplish to eventually kill them all permanently? Is that so that we have to follow new characters ? Not all new characters are successful .

Quote Originally Posted by TheKryptonMan View Post
    I really don't understand the thinking behind " that Alfred's death will be a tent pole for more meaningful and long-term character deaths going forward " . What does that accomplish ? We all buy the comics to read up on our favorite characters, what does it accomplish to eventually kill them all permanently? Is that so that we have to follow new characters ? Not all new characters are successful .
    it's not a hard train of thought to grasp honestly, so something tells me you could probably figure it out, it's just something you don't agree with; which is fine.

but what does actual death accomplish? iunno creates stakes, creates space for new narratives, give a character an ending/point; it could accomplish a lot of things depending on the character, death, and the story. especially when we're talking about a medium with characters that tend to serve the same function and do the same things for decades because fans/writers/editors can't let go of a need to perpetuate variations on the same thing over and over and over.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by The Nice Centurion View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But those aren't regular cast members like Alfred is (was) . . .
    No, but those claryfied once again that death means nothing in superhero universes!

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    it's not a hard train of thought to grasp honestly, so something tells me you could probably figure it out, it's just something you don't agree with; which is fine.

but what does actual death accomplish? iunno creates stakes, creates space for new narratives, give a character an ending/point; it could accomplish a lot of things depending on the character, death, and the story. especially when we're talking about a medium with characters that tend to serve the same function and do the same things for decades because fans/writers/editors can't let go of a need to perpetuate variations on the same thing over and over and over.
    Them will never allow actual death of Chars that bring in money.
    Them do not want to to lose automatically copyright for chars four years not used.
    Tem are too dull to think of real new Chars. New Chars are bad copys. The endless string of Robins, the endless string of Batgirls. Azrael and others are unlucky Batman copycats . . .

Reading now The Joker War Saga, which follows after Alfred snuff Comic saga. Them couldnt even let Alfred rest in peace for this. Continous appearances here, even if not meant for real. No rest for the domestic. Perhaps it will be shown that Bane killed an actor and holds Alfred hostage for the in his mind unprobable case he loses City of Bane.

Green Goblin dit it with Aunt May. Since then that idea stayed unused . . .

NOTE: This thread / poll was started in August 2021.
    --------------------

With 125 people having voted,
    * I'd like to see him back, but I'm willing to wait a bit = 49 votes (+3)
    * I won't be satisfied until he's back! = 33 votes (+2)
    * I was hesitant, but I've come around to the idea of his death and accept its importance= 23 votes (+1)
    * I don't really miss him all that much to be honest = 20 votes (+2)

I'm ready for Alfred, the billions, and living in the manor to come back.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    I'm ready for Alfred, the billions, and living in the manor to come back.
    Maybe they're saving that for Batman #1000?

Incredible Member

Maybe they're saving that for Batman #1000?
    I think that you're on to something .
    Certainly Alfred will be alive come Batman #1000 , or will that be #235 ? lol ... why can't they just keep original numbering ?

Quote Originally Posted by TheKryptonMan View Post
    I think that you're on to something .
    Certainly Alfred will be alive come Batman #1000 , or will that be #235 ? lol ... why can't they just keep original numbering ?
    I'd be okay with them using a double numbering system to have both.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I'd be okay with them using a double numbering system to have both.

Yes, I like that approach. Marvel did that a few years after the first time they reset everything with #1s.

It works well for us older fans, but I also think newer fans who ant to check out the previous volume. Amazing Spider-Man has at least 4 easily available #1-10s from different volumes (to say nothing of the 1.1s). That's got to be a little confusing to a new fan wanting to go backwards. Adding the legacy numbers with the new number of this volume just makes sense all around to me.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

NOTE: This thread / poll was started in August 2021.
    --------------------

With 131 people having voted,
    * I'd like to see him back, but I'm willing to wait a bit = 50 votes (+1)
    * I won't be satisfied until he's back! = 37 votes (+4)
    * I was hesitant, but I've come around to the idea of his death and accept its importance= 24 votes (+1)
    * I don't really miss him all that much to be honest = 20 votes