Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What are your thoughts on the Jackal?

On one hand, given his history with Spider-Man, the Jackal could be considered a classic Spider-Man villain. But on the other hand, it seems like the Jackal doesn't receive a lot of thought or care compared to other Spider-Man villains. So I'm curious what do you guys think of the Jackal? Is he someone that Marvel should do more with or is he pretty much a lost cause at this point?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nero View Post
    On one hand, given his history with Spider-Man, the Jackal could be considered a classic Spider-Man villain. But on the other hand, it seems like the Jackal doesn't receive a lot of thought or care compared to other Spider-Man villains. So I'm curious what do you guys think of the Jackal? Is he someone that Marvel should do more with or is he pretty much a lost cause at this point?
    He’s been ruined by years of convoluted stories and continuity (Maximum Clonage, and then Ben taking him over in Clone Conspiracy). His banter was always a bit grating (like a Diet Joker) and his legacy is tied up in clones now, so whenever he appears 90% of the time it’s expected it’ll involve clones. And those kind of stories have a mixed track record, to put it lightly. I guess what I’m saying is I can take him or leave him (but lean more towards “leave him”).
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 08-19-2021 at 01:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    He’s been ruined by years of convoluted stories and continuity (Maximum Clonage, and then Ben taking him over in Clone Conspiracy). His banter was always a bit grating (like a Diet Joker) and his legacy is tied up in clones now, so whenever he appears 90% of the time it’s expected it’ll involve clones. And those kind of stories have a mixed track record, to put it lightly. I guess what I’m saying is I can take him or leave him (but lean more towards “leave him”).
    Same here for the same reasons.
    I never got into him even when he originally appeared and def. not now. I don’t hate him though, so I’d keep an open mind at least, if something were done w. him.

BANNED

The Jackal is a terribly designed villain who literally doesn’t make any sense and lacks all credibility.

He was designed as a one shot villain and totally forgotten for 20years. That’s how it should have been.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The Jackal is a terribly designed villain who literally doesn’t make any sense and lacks all credibility.

He was designed as a one shot villain and totally forgotten for 20years. That’s how it should have been.
    Not really one shot. He started with the Punisher in #129, not with the first Clone Saga. That followed a couple years later. So … more like a TWO shot wonder! I can’t say whether he should’ve stayed dead or not, but the way he came back in that leather jacket in the 90s was total cringe.

Amazing Member

He lacks, unlike other crazy lunatic villains like Green Goblin or Joker on thing - depth. Although he has a tragic backstory: A scientist who loses his family in an car accident, falls in love with his student, blames Spiderman for her death. He clones him and wants revenge.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

This. Absolutely.

Astonishing Member

There is only one villain of Peter’s that I hate: Jackal. If he is in a story I simply will not read it. The only other Villain I will ignore is Chameleon, and even he does not make my blood boil like Jackal does.

because of his legacy with the clone saga, I am unforgiving of Jackal as a character. He ended up being responsible for too much mayhem. Cloning is a super easy gimmick now, it's a trope I can do without.

I never minded him. I have a huge Amazing Spiderman poster framed in my sons room with the cover showing Hammerhead and the Jackal. Always loved the cover (forget which issue it is). The Spider mobile is in it as well. My son loves it.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime