Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default What are your thoughts on the Jackal?

On one hand, given his history with Spider-Man, the Jackal could be considered a classic Spider-Man villain. But on the other hand, it seems like the Jackal doesn't receive a lot of thought or care compared to other Spider-Man villains. So I'm curious what do you guys think of the Jackal? Is he someone that Marvel should do more with or is he pretty much a lost cause at this point?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nero View Post
    On one hand, given his history with Spider-Man, the Jackal could be considered a classic Spider-Man villain. But on the other hand, it seems like the Jackal doesn't receive a lot of thought or care compared to other Spider-Man villains. So I'm curious what do you guys think of the Jackal? Is he someone that Marvel should do more with or is he pretty much a lost cause at this point?
    He’s been ruined by years of convoluted stories and continuity (Maximum Clonage, and then Ben taking him over in Clone Conspiracy). His banter was always a bit grating (like a Diet Joker) and his legacy is tied up in clones now, so whenever he appears 90% of the time it’s expected it’ll involve clones. And those kind of stories have a mixed track record, to put it lightly. I guess what I’m saying is I can take him or leave him (but lean more towards “leave him”).
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 08-19-2021 at 01:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    He’s been ruined by years of convoluted stories and continuity (Maximum Clonage, and then Ben taking him over in Clone Conspiracy). His banter was always a bit grating (like a Diet Joker) and his legacy is tied up in clones now, so whenever he appears 90% of the time it’s expected it’ll involve clones. And those kind of stories have a mixed track record, to put it lightly. I guess what I’m saying is I can take him or leave him (but lean more towards “leave him”).
    Same here for the same reasons.
    I never got into him even when he originally appeared and def. not now. I don’t hate him though, so I’d keep an open mind at least, if something were done w. him.

BANNED

The Jackal is a terribly designed villain who literally doesn’t make any sense and lacks all credibility.

He was designed as a one shot villain and totally forgotten for 20years. That’s how it should have been.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The Jackal is a terribly designed villain who literally doesn’t make any sense and lacks all credibility.

He was designed as a one shot villain and totally forgotten for 20years. That’s how it should have been.
    Not really one shot. He started with the Punisher in #129, not with the first Clone Saga. That followed a couple years later. So … more like a TWO shot wonder! I can’t say whether he should’ve stayed dead or not, but the way he came back in that leather jacket in the 90s was total cringe.

Amazing Member

He lacks, unlike other crazy lunatic villains like Green Goblin or Joker on thing - depth. Although he has a tragic backstory: A scientist who loses his family in an car accident, falls in love with his student, blames Spiderman for her death. He clones him and wants revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan84 View Post
    He lacks, unlike other crazy lunatic villains like Green Goblin or Joker on thing - depth. Although he has a tragic backstory: A scientist who loses his family in an car accident, falls in love with his student, blames Spiderman for her death. He clones him and wants revenge.
    There’s potential there for sure. A backstory like that could work for a horror movie much less comics.

And, the guy’s (more or less) perfected cloning. How are Govt agents from every major country not hunting this guy down to get his secrets? And wouldn’t it just be Spidey’s luck to have to protect him?

Incredible Member

Honestly, Miles Warren as a character should have been retired for good at the end of the Clone Conspiracy. The way Ben handled the situation was perfect in my eyes. Now, going forward, what they could have done, or do, going forward is reinvent the Jackal. Maybe an apprentice of the Jackal could have stepped up to become the new Jackal. Change the motivations of the new one.

But as a design, Ben’s look as the Jackal rocked.

At this point, I wouldn’t mind if they regressed Kaine back into a villain and he took on the role. He was the first “son” of the Jackal anyways. While it would be a regression, it would give Kaine a new standing.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    There’s potential there for sure. A backstory like that could work for a horror movie much less comics.

And, the guy’s (more or less) perfected cloning. How are Govt agents from every major country not hunting this guy down to get his secrets? And wouldn’t it just be Spidey’s luck to have to protect him?
    Most new villains are like from some horror movies: Batman who laughs, Morlun, etc. Even regarding things like falling in love with a student. Look what they are doing to Black Tom Cassidy: he becomes more and more popular, besides his creepy backstory of hiding Theresa from Banshee and rising her like his own.
    regarding the Gov: Similar to other villans who have things to hide, and the Gov does not hunt them down. It is comics after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    Honestly, Miles Warren as a character should have been retired for good at the end of the Clone Conspiracy. The way Ben handled the situation was perfect in my eyes. Now, going forward, what they could have done, or do, going forward is reinvent the Jackal. Maybe an apprentice of the Jackal could have stepped up to become the new Jackal. Change the motivations of the new one.

But as a design, Ben’s look as the Jackal rocked.

At this point, I wouldn’t mind if they regressed Kaine back into a villain and he took on the role. He was the first “son” of the Jackal anyways. While it would be a regression, it would give Kaine a new standing.
    Like most characters, I think the Jackal has had some interesting showings and some less than stellar ones. He may not be the most coherent character, but there's enough there for writers to do fun things with: I loved the clone Jack from the 90s Clone Saga, and I like some modern portrayals that indicate there are many Jackals, Warrens, Gwens, and Carrions kind of all working in tandem.

That being said, I agree that Ben COULD HAVE worked just fine as the new Jackal if his characterization would've been consistent with past portrayals. His look was definitely cooler than any of Miles Warren's costumes. But that ship has sailed; and while I'm intrigued by your idea of Kaine taking up the mantle of the Jackal, I don't think I want to see him once again doing something that Ben has already done. But I do think the idea is interesting.

For what it's worth, I have an idea for a story involving the/a Jackal that I think would knock people's socks off.

-Pav, who loved "The Jackal Files" one-shot when he was a kid...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Like most characters, I think the Jackal has had some interesting showings and some less than stellar ones. He may not be the most coherent character, but there's enough there for writers to do fun things with: I loved the clone Jack from the 90s Clone Saga, and I like some modern portrayals that indicate there are many Jackals, Warrens, Gwens, and Carrions kind of all working in tandem.

That being said, I agree that Ben COULD HAVE worked just fine as the new Jackal if his characterization would've been consistent with past portrayals. His look was definitely cooler than any of Miles Warren's costumes. But that ship has sailed; and while I'm intrigued by your idea of Kaine taking up the mantle of the Jackal, I don't think I want to see him once again doing something that Ben has already done. But I do think the idea is interesting.

For what it's worth, I have an idea for a story involving the/a Jackal that I think would knock people's socks off.

-Pav, who loved "The Jackal Files" one-shot when he was a kid...
    I love “The Jackal Files”. I remember carrying it around in my backpack in High School redrawing the pages in it.

The idea I used for Kaine as the Jackal was something I had wanted to see for years, before they “redeemed” him during/after Spider-Island and the Kraven story.

In my ideal scenario, Ben would have been revived years ago, and the Scarlet Spider suit that Kaine uses, would have been Ben’s new look, while Kaine, as the Jackal, either from his own choice or from Warren’s influence, would have a throwback look to his look in the “Redemption” mini-series, the grotesque beard, white eyes and such. Heck, a lot of the motivations that they have Ben in “Clone Conspiracy”, I would have given to Kaine, the motivations of “correcting” Peters failures for good, but unlike Ben or even Peter, I doubt Kaine spent any time in a lab. But if he were to work with Miles, who knows?

But yeah, like you said, that ship has sailed.

Miles Warren, as a character though, has become a joke. While I loved his return in Spider-Island, I am kinda glad it was like, 15 some years before we even heard about the character again real (the last time I think he had any major impact was that one-shot, “Dead Mans Hand”, but it was mainly a Carrion story.

With Marvel having clones or cloned/duplicate bodies running around the whole Marvel universe, (Clor, currently practically EVERY X-Man character, Iron Man’s body, War Machines third body), his whole Thing with replacing humanity with perfect clones is kinda redundant and pointless. He would need new motivations to continue on as a Peter villain.

At this point, making him strictly a Ben villain would suffice. He could be the Osborn to Peter, that Ben needs.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nero View Post
    There is only one villain of Peter’s that I hate: Jackal. If he is in a story I simply will not read it. The only other Villain I will ignore is Chameleon, and even he does not make my blood boil like Jackal does.

Worked better as a personal villain. The first resurrection around he started to annoy and then the character jumped the shark with his world domination/clone repopulation plans.

Crazy Clone Guy obsessed with a dead girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan84 View Post
    Most new villains are like from some horror movies: Batman who laughs, Morlun, etc. Even regarding things like falling in love with a student. Look what they are doing to Black Tom Cassidy: he becomes more and more popular, besides his creepy backstory of hiding Theresa from Banshee and rising her like his own.
    regarding the Gov: Similar to other villans who have things to hide, and the Gov does not hunt them down. It is comics after all.
    That’s why I said potential slash nothing you said nullifies anything I said.

If some writer cared enough to bring the guy back complete w. Cronenberg type mad science body horror, or put him on the run from shady Govt types or both, or something else completely then that’s what’d happen, and as I don’t hate the character I’d prob. give it a look.

That’s why I agreed w. HypnoHustler in saying I can take him or leave him.