Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Yeah the reviews coming in aren't particularly great. Some of the non spoiler complaints that seem worrying is focusing on the wrong characters. A few saying its not exactly boring...
    This was always MCU biggest gamble and deep cut franchise so far. So we will see what happens.
    Sersi might not be the most interesting character in comparison to her family, but she's the one who gets integrated into the Avengers, so she's the right choice. I just see it as the "main character is kinda the normal one" syndrome.

There's supposedly more exposition than any other Marvel movie so far and it's very "talky" are what some of the negative reviews I was hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Sersi might not be the most interesting character in comparison to her family, but she's the one who gets integrated into the Avengers, so she's the right choice. I just see it as the "main character is kinda the normal one" syndrome.

There's supposedly more exposition than any other Marvel movie so far and it's very "talky" are what some of the negative reviews I was hearing.
    I think Sersi would be a very entertaining and interesting female lead but it seems like the movie toned down her personality.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'd hate to think Marvel trying to take a more serious approach with a property would now be seen as the wrong move in light of the critical reception, but it seems like part of it is there's a disconnect within the film between being more serious and thought-provoking and the typical blockbuster with quips Marvel movie.
    Though-provoking I'll take all day. I worry instead what we'll get is just a serious tone with not much substance, like the first two Thor movies. It's why Loki popped so much (aside from his natural charisma), there wasn't much else going on aside from the occasional pretty visual. This looks very much like it might be the same. I'm naturally pessimistic though, so I'll give it a shot down the line and see if I was wrong (hope so). Not sure I'll bother with the theater for it.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Though-provoking I'll take all day. I worry instead what we'll get is just a serious tone with not much substance, like the first two Thor movies. It's why Loki popped so much (aside from his natural charisma), there wasn't much else going on aside from the occasional pretty visual. This looks very much like it might be the same. I'm naturally pessimistic though, so I'll give it a shot down the line and see if I was wrong (hope so). Not sure I'll bother with the theater for it.
    I don't think the tone was necessarily an issue with the earlier Thor movies...I think the first one had enough substance for an earlier film but the second definitely felt like it was spinning it's wheels so much.

Of course now I'm expecting the next Eternals movie will go full Ragnarok with death metal, no one taking it seriously, and everyone has an even more exaggerated personality and quip 90% of the time .

Still not really feeling why Marvel chose to adapt the Eternals, of all the stuff they have to choose from. The ho-hum seeming casting doesn't really help either. Still very much on an "go on, impress me" footing with this one.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

I'm feeling a little vindicated (but not in a "haha!" way), I guess, because I've watched all of the Eternals trailers and content thus far and have not ever had one ounce of excitement towards this movie. I haven't been able to put my finger on it yet but I can tell you that out of the three MCU movies that have/will release before Spiderman, Eternals would be my last choice to pay to see, Shang Chi being an easy first.

As with all comic movies, I wish them luck but I don't think I will make time or spend money on seeing this one right now.

Niffleheim

Eternals is the only Marvel movie that I'll go to the theatre to watch simply because it is Marvel Cosmic. I didn't even bother with the last two previous movies and I've never watched Holland's Spidey movie. I'll be going in with very low expectation but I KNOW I'll love it
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    I'm feeling a little vindicated (but not in a "haha!" way), I guess, because I've watched all of the Eternals trailers and content thus far and have not ever had one ounce of excitement towards this movie.
    Not sure there's anything to be "vindicated" about, one way or the other. I mean, laws of averages says you won't get a winner every time, and Marvel Studios has more than proven that they're masters of their craft. If Eternals isn't good, that's unfortunate, but it just means that this production didn't pan out. (Considering that current MCU is getting a lot more experimental, I think its a fair tradeoff to get new kinds of content at the cost of there being more risk of movies that aren't "good.")

I haven't been able to put my finger on it yet but I can tell you that out of the three MCU movies that have/will release before Spiderman, Eternals would be my last choice to pay to see, Shang Chi being an easy first.
    I was most looking forward to Black Widow (liked it). Still need to get around to Shang-Chi (trailers didn't click with me for whatever reason). Am curious about Eternals (like sci-fi and the Tolkien-esque "epic" nature of if will certainly be something different than the "typical" superhero fare).

As with all comic movies, I wish them luck but I don't think I will make time or spend money on seeing this one right now.
    I'd like to see it, but that's me.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Eternals is the only Marvel movie that I'll go to the theatre to watch simply because it is Marvel Cosmic. I didn't even bother with the last two previous movies and I've never watched Holland's Spidey movie. I'll be going in with very low expectation but I KNOW I'll love it
    If I think of it as Marvel cosmic I'll probably unfairly dislike it even more, as I'd have wanted anything else from the Silver Surfer (first choice), to Adam Warlock (coming), to any Captain Marvel aside from Warbird (first choice Mar, second Genis, 3rd Monica, doesn't much matter after that), Firelord, heck a story on Galactus and all of his heralds, a Thanos solo story, I'd even take an oddball one like Jack of Hearts. I see them more as a lateral move from the Inhumans (the royal family, don't care much for the mutant replacement storyline). Just less interesting characters. Alien origins, "good vs bad races", genetic manipulation, apart from humanity but looking out for it.

For me, Eternals is the first Marvel movie I am looking forward to since Endgame. My only concern is that with so many characters, there might not be enough time to properly introduce everyone, since all of them are new, as opposed to Avengers where we already knew most of them. But I remain optimistic until I see it.