Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Like implied sex scene ala James Bond?

Or just people making out?
    I think it's the former.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I think China is too scared to release Foreign movies like they used to and rather their own movies bring in the box office dollars. The days of superhero movies dominating in the past in China might be over. Too bad. My two cents.
    Yea maybe I don't know. There is a lot of political stuff going on with movie releases now. Not totally unlike what went on in the Cold War.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I mean how can someone make a movie that China will release when they don't even know what the heck they say is ok? I don't know how any movie company can operate in that environment. Then there are just release issues over there in General. Black Widow didn't get released there, I don't even know why, some business decision somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I think China is too scared to release Foreign movies like they used to and rather their own movies bring in the box office dollars. The days of superhero movies dominating in the past in China might be over. Too bad. My two cents.
    What I've heard is that, this year is an anniversary of the Communist ruling party. And they have decreed that theaters MUST show a certain number of propaganda films. From here it gets fuzzy- either the number of films they are required to show has taken away from how many foreign films they are able to show, or the government purposefully limited how many foreign films could be shown. That's one of the reasons why a lot of American films were denied a release in China this year.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post
    Yeah. There is one.
    For some reason, that scene reminded me of that Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner love scene from the Daredevil film.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

So apparently the director confirmed spoilers:
    the voice heard at the end belongs to Mahershala Ali, aka Blade
    end of spoilers.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    What I've heard is that, this year is an anniversary of the Communist ruling party. And they have decreed that theaters MUST show a certain number of propaganda films. From here it gets fuzzy- either the number of films they are required to show has taken away from how many foreign films they are able to show, or the government purposefully limited how many foreign films could be shown. That's one of the reasons why a lot of American films were denied a release in China this year.

That doesnt surprise me. In all honesty Hollywood should have prepared themselves for this. Because dealing with China as lucrative as it is was always a deal with the devil. But greed is greed. Just as a dopey outsider I saw this coming. You give and give and eventually you give in so much they have you by the balls. Granted I think many are seeing this now and saying whatever we have other ways to make money. Streaming and stuff. So Marvel/ Disney or whatever are saying ok we will stop kissing ass and making things more like we want.

Saw it earlier today. First half sucked. Second half was decent. Mid-credit scene cameos surprised me! And post-credit scene was as expected.

Visually stunning movie, but I can see why it may not succeed on the level of its predecessors.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Just watched it and it’s a solid 7/10 for me

There are so many parts in the story that almost go great, but just stay good imo.

Cast are great - they seem like a family and are really fun to be around. Some get more than others but I hope that critical reception/possible low box office doesn’t stop Marvel from keeping going with this cast and Zhao

Some great twists and turns that are undermined by a bloated run time and a lot of expository dialogue - there should have been a lot more focus on the script

The Celestials are realised quite well imo, I just wish they went weirder

Good use of licensed music, score is mostly meh with some cool stand outs

The effects for the most part are great, figures get a bit too rubbery in the last act

Post credits scenes are cool

The central conflict of the Eternals is compelling and interesting, as I said before I just wish the script was more focussed on that as opposed to pausing every so often to explain the story. I also think the parts set in the past should have been tied more closely to the present day conflict.

Kro wasn’t as good as I’d have liked

Overall I enjoyed it a lot, but it’s not a standout in the MCU, apart from its visual language and its diversity (which is done very well and doesn’t come across as tokenism)

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    So apparently the director confirmed spoilers:
    the voice heard at the end belongs to Mahershala Ali, aka Blade
    end of spoilers.
    Does he have a connection to the Eternals in the comics?

I'm now a Gemma Chan fan, btw

Mighty Member

Eternals received a B on CinemaScore, which is the lowest form in the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    Just watched it and it’s a solid 7/10 for me

There are so many parts in the story that almost go great, but just stay good imo.

Cast are great - they seem like a family and are really fun to be around. Some get more than others but I hope that critical reception/possible low box office doesn’t stop Marvel from keeping going with this cast and Zhao

Some great twists and turns that are undermined by a bloated run time and a lot of expository dialogue - there should have been a lot more focus on the script

The Celestials are realised quite well imo, I just wish they went weirder

Good use of licensed music, score is mostly meh with some cool stand outs

The effects for the most part are great, figures get a bit too rubbery in the last act

Post credits scenes are cool

The central conflict of the Eternals is compelling and interesting, as I said before I just wish the script was more focussed on that as opposed to pausing every so often to explain the story. I also think the parts set in the past should have been tied more closely to the present day conflict.

Kro wasn’t as good as I’d have liked

Overall I enjoyed it a lot, but it’s not a standout in the MCU, apart from its visual language and its diversity (which is done very well and doesn’t come across as tokenism)

Yeah, I really liked how the Celestials were done. Yes, they could have been weirder.

I agree with your point about exposition negatively affecting the overall plot progression.

And I'm wondering if the new characters in the mid-credit scene are too obscure for some viewers. Of course, only comic fans knew of the GOTG before those movies came out.

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    And I'm wondering if the new characters in the mid-credit scene are too obscure for some viewers. Of course, only comic fans knew of the GOTG before those movies came out.
    Judging by the screams of some young people in my cinema, a certain actor was enough to excite them hahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Nah, as a DC fan I've been told for years that I'm wrong if I disagree with the RT score, that its an objective metric, no flaws or bias at all. "Shut up, stop being a baby!" So now we get to finally see MCU fans in a similar position and, by their own metrics, they failed. Now we're getting posts saying, "Well RT doesn't matter!" No one likes hypocrites. It turns out fans want to hear good reviews from a movie/video game/book and get upset and lash out when this happens. Maybe its like human nature or something so when MCU fans claim this is a problem in the DC community specifically, well, that's kind of gross.

The icing on the cake is that because the fresh reviews on this film are so negative themselves (literally the phrase "This is Marvel's Suicide Squad" for a fresh review), people are becoming a lot more receptive to the idea that RT is biased, which is great!

I don't really care about Rotten Tomatoes, there are varying factors which result in the scores, and I've seen some oddly high ratings for terrible films on there. That said, considering the fact I see The Eternals at about the same level as Man of Steel and Batman vs Superman, I'd say they were accurate if RT had those 3 films all rated low. I don't see how Thor: The Dark World, Iron Man 3, and Avengers: Age of Ultron could rate a lot higher than The Eternals, though.

As for "This is Marvel's Suicide Squad", nah. The Eternals was better than both crappy Suicide Squad films, lol.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I came from the theater and I thought the movie was fine. Act 1 particularly the scenes in Babylon were boring but it was a fine film otherwise. I think it would have been better if this was a series rather than a movie.

spoilers:
    I always thought pip was Adam Warlock buddy? I don't remember him ever being Star Fox hype man
    end of spoilers