Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122 LastLast
    Niffleheim

Since I'm a sucker for Marvel Cosmic and I had prior knowledge of the characters so I didn't have a problem with following who is who lol! I was thoroughly entertained by the movie and Its themes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    After announcing that Phase 4 Is about representation Marvel would look horrible cutting the same sex scenes to make money.
    I just came back from watching Eternals and the sex scenes was more about conservatism than representation.
    Last edited by Tofali; 11-04-2021 at 09:59 PM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Just saw it not sure how I feel about it yet. There was alot I really liked about it but some stuff I wasn't crazy about.

spoilers:
    Was that Blade at the end?. Sounds like Mahershela Ali to me but others said Fury/Watcher/Kang. I mean I heard Mahershela Ali but I'm not sure. Didn't sound like he was doing a British accent. So anyone holding out for that may be dosappointed
    end of spoilers

Going to hold off until I talk to people I know who have seen it. I like the Deviants and I get the feeling that this movie won't do them justice. They are a unique race, not mindless monsters. In all the advertising I have seen only one enemy that I would consider a Deviant. The rest just look like feral monsters.

I guess Marvel thought it wouldn't be a good look to have the villains be really diverse? Or maybe Marvel thought that it would be sending the wrong message to show a race whose diversity was it's curse? Or maybe making the ugly people the bad guys would be seen as problematic? Or maybe the audience would feel sympathy for them over a smoking actress like Jolie our Hayek? Something to think about.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 11-04-2021 at 11:03 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Going to hold off until I talk to people I know who have seen it. I like the Deviants and I get the feeling that this movie won't do them justice. They are a unique race, not mindless monsters. In all the advertising I have seen only one enemy that I would consider a Deviant. The rest just look like feral monsters.

I guess Marvel thought it wouldn't be a good look to have the villains be really diverse? Or maybe Marvel thought that it would be sending the wrong message to show a race whose diversity was it's curse? Or maybe making the ugly people the bad guys would be seen as problematic? Or maybe the audience would feel sympathy for them over a smoking actress like Jolie our Hayek? Something to think about.
    In regards to the Deviants
    spoilers:
    They aren't done justice. Other then some cool designs they are monsters for the good guys to beat up. They are nothing like the comics, there is another main antagonist but I want spoil that for you.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 11-05-2021 at 12:01 AM.

RT aud score is out. 86. So it's another venom. Critics hated it, aud liked it so far.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/eternals

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    RT aud score is out. 86. So it's another venom. Critics hated it, aud liked it so far.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/eternals
    Reviews are coming in? Does this mean a new Thread?

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I liked it a lot. Now, I do agree with the pacing problems… but it’s critical score is utter bullhonkey.

Or at least it is in a world where Iron Man 3 and The Last Jedi get glowing reviews (seriously, if that **** can fly, than this should be worshipped)… it’s definitely better than most Phase 2 films that were certified fresh, and it’s better than Captain Marvel and I’d argue equal to or better than Black Widow.

It did the most important thing it needed to do; sell the characters first, the conflict second, amaze with spectacle third, and combine all three for an emotionally engrossing finale. There’s a major twist that gives it an edge in antagonist compared to Captain Marvel and Black Widow, while I’ll be blunt and say that most audience members are liable to grow strongly attached to at least one of the heavily featured major characters.
    The review I just read, so I can't say myself, pointed out that the character chemistry THE problem. So, the characters don't just exist in a vacuum as cool or not like some stand alone heroes might have in Marvel's other films.

There are sex scenes???
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    There are sex scenes???
    Yeah. There is one.

So I read today that Disney is refusing to censor the movie for overseas markets, leading to it being banned in Saudi Arabia and Qatar, and a few other countries. So good for them

Though I do wonder, if China had allowed the movie to be released, but only if certain scenes were censored, would Disney still stuck to their guns?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    So I read today that Disney is refusing to censor the movie for overseas markets, leading to it being banned in Saudi Arabia and Qatar, and a few other countries. So good for them

Though I do wonder, if China had allowed the movie to be released, but only if certain scenes were censored, would Disney still stuck to their guns?
    I think they would have. Because at this point its gotten so ridiculous with China no one has any idea what they will approve or not. They could change their minds the last second. And not for any logical reason. They just decide ya not releasing it. I'm sure Disney already figured the movie wouldn't fly in the mideast because other movies showing same sex stuff doesnt fly there either. So they knew that going in which I applaud them for.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I think they would have. Because at this point its gotten so ridiculous with China no one has any idea what they will approve or not. They could change their minds the last second. And not for any logical reason. They just decide ya not releasing it. I'm sure Disney already figured the movie wouldn't fly in the mideast because other movies showing same sex stuff doesnt fly there either. So they knew that going in which I applaud them for.
    Exactly this.

China's censors have become a little silly regarding what can or can't be shown in their theatres.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly this.

China's censors have become a little silly regarding what can or can't be shown in their theatres.

I mean how can someone make a movie that China will release when they don't even know what the heck they say is ok? I don't know how any movie company can operate in that environment. Then there are just release issues over there in General. Black Widow didn't get released there, I don't even know why, some business decision somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    There are sex scenes???
    Like implied sex scene ala James Bond?

Or just people making out?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Then there are just release issues over there in General. Black Widow didn't get released there, I don't even know why, some business decision somewhere.
    I think China is too scared to release Foreign movies like they used to and rather their own movies bring in the box office dollars. The days of superhero movies dominating in the past in China might be over. Too bad. My two cents.