Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Niffleheim

Compared to how I found the first trailer cold, dull and off-putting this really made me feel like I'm back on the MCU train again. The impression I got was there was a lot of UK actors which made me feel like i was watching a period piece of the peerage protecting commoners lol. I might end up disliking it but as of now I like what I'm seeing.
    Last edited by Tofali; 08-19-2021 at 03:05 PM.

Wow I am very excited for this movie. I love the new trailer.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

BANNED

I want to be excited about this movie, but I'm still having trouble understanding why I should care about these characters or whatever nebulous thing they are trying to accomplish.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    I dunno, still not feeling it. Gunn's "the Suicide Squad" was a huge game changer (for me), and this still feels very "Marvel formulaic." Even Marvel's more inventive TV series (WandaVision and Loki) still devolved into very basic "Marvel" action in the last half of the stories. And giant cgi Celestials aren't enough of a draw to me. (We've already had Transformers, big budget Godzilla movies and whatnot.)
    It's strange you talk about the Suicide Squad as if by the end it didn't do exactly just that
    Heck Loki didn't end that way
    Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    I want to be excited about this movie, but I'm still having trouble understanding why I should care about these characters or whatever nebulous thing they are trying to accomplish.
    Feels like you're asking too much of a trailer.
    The movie itself is supposed, the trailers are just supposed to let you know what the movie is about.
    Last edited by Metro; 08-19-2021 at 01:44 PM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    I'm in the same boat, it looks beautiful but it just doesn't resonate with me.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I kind of get where they're coming from.

The modern setting shots look more like the Gaiman take.

I think some of us long-time Eternal fans wanted to see more of the Kirby version BUT the flash-backs look Kirby-esque to me.

One of the supposed test screeners said the opening 15 minutes of the movie is a giant love letter to Kirby.

We shall see if that is true or not.
    That might be it. Gaiman versus Kirby. The Gaiman series was ok, at least in the beginning. I felt that it needed the foundation Kirby provided to even work at all, and perhaps this movie is diving into Gaiman without doing Kirby first.

Its so simple. Just read Kirby and trust him. Same goes for FF, Inhumans and Eternals. New Gods too, for that matter.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Meh. Post-Endgame MCU movies just don't excite me. Call me when the X-Men show up

Eye beams!

Celestials on screen!

Such a great time coming up to be a Marvel Cosmic fan.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Meh. Post-Endgame MCU movies just don't excite me. Call me when the X-Men show up
    The current and upcoming MCU looks way more X-citing than the X-Men stuff

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    The current and upcoming MCU looks way more X-citing than the X-Men stuff
    Yeah, I like that I'm getting to see more different Marvel characters without the universe revolving a bald dude, his group of child soldiers and his racist ex boyfriend

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    That might be it. Gaiman versus Kirby. The Gaiman series was ok, at least in the beginning. I felt that it needed the foundation Kirby provided to even work at all, and perhaps this movie is diving into Gaiman without doing Kirby first.

Its so simple. Just read Kirby and trust him. Same goes for FF, Inhumans and Eternals. New Gods too, for that matter.
    I suspect we might see a bit of a reverse of the Gaiman take. Grounding them back to Earth was part of the Gaiman arc. Perhaps this will open them up to travel outside of Earth when this is all over?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I do see a lot of this kind of statement but I feel it is time maybe we get a little realistic with X-MEN at Disney because MCU pretty much has a tight nit formula. whatever you see in MCU now is what you will see in X-MEN.

if anyone is thinking MCU X-men is going to do some Johnny Cash and President Kennedy assassination type of trailer to introduce itself. I am afraid that you will never get that call.

I think many xmen fans should start watching as much MCU stuff as they can, so they can get use to it at least. You do also know there were rumours that Eternals were going to set up the mutants? a rumour I will still not rule out, since that is how the MCU formula works.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Okay, I'm onboard with this. I'll concede that I'd like to know more about the characters, but it sets up who theses guys are, what their deal is, and why we should care.

Or maybe it's just setting itself up by providing a little context on how the movie fits into the rest of the series.

Or, it's just borrowing a piece of worldbuilding that's floating around, just like how how mega franchises and cinematic universes, from Star Trek, to the DECU (mainstream and Snyderverse configurations) work (not to mention how comics work in general). I get the impression that you're unhappy that it's part of a cinematic universe rather than being completely stand alone, but maybe we should judge it for what it is, not what we want it to be?
    Star Trek is nothing really like the MCU or DCU. DCU is not even DCU anymore

I get the impression that you're unhappy that it's part of a cinematic universe rather than being completely stand alone, but maybe we should judge it for what it is, not what we want it to be?
    Not so the case. Eternals is part of the MCU, we already know that, random not funny tie in jokes like Vibranium or Avengers having a new leader does not add anything much.
    Last edited by Castle; 08-19-2021 at 04:37 PM.

This trailer had me more enthusiastic about The Eternals. I was never a big fan and wasn't quite looking forward to the film, but now I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I think many xmen fans should start watching as much MCU stuff as they can, so they can get use to it at least.
    Some of us are capable of enjoying both.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 08-19-2021 at 04:41 PM.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They look epic .

Transmuting a vehicle into rose petals is the most Sersi thing ever.

People have compared Thena to Wonder Woman, so no surprise she gets the bondage scene.
    Angelina Jolie as a Wonder woman figure in the MCU is something maybe MCU should have considered, if they really truly wanted the same reward and attention without needing to have a Patty Jenkins.

Jolie has a good habit of just stealing every spotlight in all her films. I know she is now in her 40s, but if anyone will ever get a spin off, it has to be her character just for Jolie and Jolie has proven already she can carry a comic film with Wanted (2008)
    Last edited by Castle; 08-19-2021 at 04:51 PM.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post

Some of us are capable of enjoying both.
    Some might be capable but most seem to be seething