Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    I dunno, still not feeling it. Gunn's "the Suicide Squad" was a huge game changer (for me), and this still feels very "Marvel formulaic." Even Marvel's more inventive TV series (WandaVision and Loki) still devolved into very basic "Marvel" action in the last half of the stories. And giant cgi Celestials aren't enough of a draw to me. (We've already had Transformers, big budget Godzilla movies and whatnot.)
    Suicide Squad was a huge game changer? How so it wasn't a bad move but it also didn't bring anything new to CBM it was just guns same old stick and to be honest it's gotten kinda old for me

What JKK 'influence'?

Kurt Busiek@KurtBusiek
    Looks interesting. Not very Kirby, aside from the awesome looking Celestial, but interesting.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    o essentially the energy from the Snap and the re-snap instigated the whole big thing the Eternals are supposed to deal with and the final Eternals vs Deviants war and them needing to get the band back together.

Look at Dane being our audience surrogate.

How many people are going to be comparing Ikaris to Superman, I wonder? It really seems like he has Heat Vision.

Sersi's transmuation looks awesome .

First look at the lead Deviant and he looks suitably creepy .

Afraid Phastos doesn't make everything out of Vibranium, Ikaris.

Sprite looks so done with this .
    Watching both trailers you get the impression that Ikaris in this movie, much like he was in the comics is the most super hero-y of the group.

But it looks like Makkari is the main character of the movie.

The family dynamics of this group are going to be really interesting to see. That's going to be the hook for the audience I imagine.

Could be an interesting spin on things.

I thought it was interesting to notice that Ajax recounted the events of Endgame with a kind of pride at what Earth people could do.

Even if it might have inadvertently caused an apocalypse.
    Last edited by Vic Vega; 08-19-2021 at 07:15 PM.

Invincible Member

More interesting than the teaser. But I get the feeling I'll enjoy this movie more if it ends up embracing the camp factor like Thor: Ragnarok did and turns it up a notch. Really make that old Kirby aesthetic stand out.

By the way, what happened to that New Gods movie by Ava DuVernay?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    It's been shelved indefinitely. Supposedly it wasn't standalone enough.

So is Ajak taking over for Zuras? It feels kind of weird that he's nowhere to be found in this movie.
    More interesting than the teaser. But I get the feeling I'll enjoy this movie more if it ends up embracing the camp factor like Thor: Ragnarok did and turns it up a notch. Really make that old Kirby aesthetic stand out.

I feel like they'd ruin the tone if they go for camp, at least overtly.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    Yeah, I like that I'm getting to see more different Marvel characters without the universe revolving a bald dude, his group of child soldiers and his racist ex boyfriend
    Haha I wouldn't quite describe it like that, because I do like Charles' and Erik's dynamic, but I've seen those characters a lot. This looks more interesting and varietous (is that a word?) in terms of storytelling than "human vs mutant" over again in a world where people like superheroes (of course, that's true about the comics too)

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Star Trek is nothing really like the MCU or DCU. DCU is not even DCU anymore
    Think we're having two different conversations. The point is that cinematic universe-style franchises referencing and using stuff from other installments within itself is not only fair game, it's good writing within the model. (And yeah, Star Trek is way more self-referential than any other cinematic universe this side of Star Wars; there are literally whole series that you cannot watch without having watched everything else in the franchise. Even the Kelvin movies, intended to be stand alone reboot, are deeply rooted in the previous franchise installments and heavily assume that you're very familiar with the deep lore of the franchise.)

Not so the case. Eternals is part of the MCU, we already know that, random not funny tie in jokes like Vibranium or Avengers having a new leader does not add anything much.
    And what's wrong with it not being big and just a little color?

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    Some of us are capable of enjoying both.
    Seconded; I love both the old Fox X-Men series and MCU. Heck, I'm still not really a fan of the Fox series getting canceled for an MCU reboot.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So is Ajak taking over for Zuras? It feels kind of weird that he's nowhere to be found in this movie.
    I think it’s more that they’ve just gotten rid of Zuras for the movie. If I’m not mistaken Ajak was the one that could talk to the Celestials in the comics, so (at least for this plot) instead of having a whole new character just to gather the Eternals, they’ve just removed him from the production line completely. Basically I think they’ve cut out the middle man

I was in the minority that actually liked the first trailer a lot, but I really loved this trailer.

Shots were beautiful, and the first image of the celestial was pretty haunting in a cosmic horror type of way.

The cast seem good, but as with every ensemble film, I hope we get some love for every character.

Action scenes look cool, and I can see why Zhao has said that the action scenes in The Revenant were an influence for her.

Sersi interests me, but from what I’ve seen of Chan’s work (admittedly not a lot), the roles she plays have never been that likeable for me. Sersi’s transmutation effect in Camden looks great though.

If they’re keeping the Thena/Kro relationship from the comics I’ll be very happy.

I’m still not a fan of the colour grading but I’m sure I’ll be able to forget about it when watching the film.

I really hope the Deviants range in form, and aren’t mostly just wolf type monsters.

It’s definitely more Gaiman than Kirby, but that doesn’t bother me. I think apart from the designs of the Celestials and Eternals themselves, Kirby’s original comics were some of his dullest. I wish the costumes were a bit more colourful, but at least the Celestials look boss.

The power effects look cool, especially Ikaris’ eye beams and Thena’s weapons.

I loved the table gag in this trailer, Bryan Tyree Henry’s delivery was perfect.

Complaints about the movie’s connections to the MCU are weird to me at this point. I get not liking the MCU and connected universes, but this is clearly a movie designed to flesh out this world. I think the concept of the Eternals works best as part of the marvel universe, adding an interesting mythology on top of an already interesting world. Of course they’d mention Avengers etc, they live in THAT world.

Zhao’s appreciation for nature really comes through in both trailers, and I can’t wait to see how she handled this movie.

Overall, I’m very excited.
    Last edited by Jack The Tripper; 08-20-2021 at 12:03 AM.

Angelina Jolie as a Wonder woman figure in the MCU is something maybe MCU should have considered, if they really truly wanted the same reward and attention without needing to have a Patty Jenkins.

Jolie has a good habit of just stealing every spotlight in all her films. I know she is now in her 40s, but if anyone will ever get a spin off, it has to be her character just for Jolie and Jolie has proven already she can carry a comic film with Wanted (2008)
    Unless there was actually some point in that film where she was wearing anything that even sorta resembled Fox's costume, and I just completely put it out of my mind?

Wanted is not much of a "Comic..." film.

If anything?

It is Night Watch/Day Watch for Western audiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    Sersi interests me, but from what I’ve seen of Chan’s work (admittedly not a lot), she’s not the most likeable.
    The actress as a person or the type of roles she often plays?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    I loved the table gag in this trailer, Bryan Tyree Henry’s delivery was perfect.
    Yeah, that was great. Also helped humanize characters who are kinda inherently detached from humanity to an extent.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    The actress as a person or the type of roles she often plays?

Yeah, that was great. Also helped humanize characters who are kinda inherently detached from humanity to an extent.
    Sorry yeah, I meant the roles she plays. I’ll amend that now so people don’t think I’m mean lol

Yeah I completely agree.

BANNED

The tone so far does not look anything like Thor Ragnarok. Ragnarok gave things away easily that it was going to be comedy and campy. Eternals does not look like that, However we could have made the case for Age of Ultron but I still think little chance it will be like Ultron. Ultron was a film, the trailer sold itself as, as drama-action, but the actual film was comedy-action. I don't see Eternals falling that far, I think Eternals will be more like Black Panther in tone.