Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    Yeah it had a one night imax thing I think, but even then I think that was as far as it got? I feel like that was a last ditch effort from Perlmutter and the gang. Really weird in retrospect seeing as the4”re was literally nothing about that show that looked like it warranted a cinema release, let alone an imax one
    Yes, that's right. IMax. I think GOT did something similar for one of its season premieres or ending? Dang, neither of these things were that long ago, but they were forgettable.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

I got about 3 and 1/2 episodes into the Helstrom show. So freakin' slow. It took a page out of the Netflix shows' playbook -- low budget, so fill airtime with marginally significant events and lengthy dialogue.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    There was a 10 episode Helstrom series supposedly set in the MCU and nobody cared about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helstrom_(TV_series)

Not everything Marvel does is going to be a hit because it's Marvel; Inhumans, Iron Fist and even the Netflix shows had massive viewership drops between seasons with the Punisher having the least.

Inhumans was originally announced as part of Phase 3 set between IW and EG. But once Fiege started answering to Iger, the Inhumans project was dropped and replaced by the Ant-Man & Wasp movie. Perlmutter and Loeb took whatever was left, gave it to Scott Buck and we got a terrible but thankfully easily forgettable mini series that was meant to be released on IMAX first. I get the feeling that Eternals is Fiege's team saying 'we can do that concept better'. There was no enthusiasm around the Inhumans, not even comic book fans really liked those characters. Eternals has an all star cast, an Academy Award winning director who is also an anime nerd and the creative challenge is whether they can make us care about a bunch of otherworldly alien characters masquerading as humans the same they made us care about a talking tree and his raccoon friend.
    Inhumans are a lot more well known by comics fans than Eternals are, aren't they?

There was a 10 episode Helstrom series supposedly set in the MCU and nobody cared about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helstrom_(TV_series)

Not everything Marvel does is going to be a hit because it's Marvel; Inhumans, Iron Fist and even the Netflix shows had massive viewership drops between seasons with the Punisher having the least.

Inhumans was originally announced as part of Phase 3 set between IW and EG. But once Fiege started answering to Iger, the Inhumans project was dropped and replaced by the Ant-Man & Wasp movie. Perlmutter and Loeb took whatever was left, gave it to Scott Buck and we got a terrible but thankfully easily forgettable mini series that was meant to be released on IMAX first. I get the feeling that Eternals is Fiege's team saying 'we can do that concept better'. There was no enthusiasm around the Inhumans, not even comic book fans really liked those characters. Eternals has an all star cast, an Academy Award winning director who is also an anime nerd and the creative challenge is whether they can make us care about a bunch of otherworldly alien characters masquerading as humans the same they made us care about a talking tree and his raccoon friend.
    Again, not a film, and it couldn't even advertise it was MCU if I remember correctly. Can anyone name something not a show for their example?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Inhumans are a lot more well known by comics fans than Eternals are, aren't they?
    They are but a lot of people like to make it out that everyone always hated them, because of the the terrigen X-Men debacle

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    They are but a lot of people like to make it out that everyone always hated them, because of the the terrigen X-Men debacle
    That was only a brief thing, wasn't it? Tbf, I always found the whole enslavement thing unlikeable, but I think they got rid of that. But I don't remember people outright hating them except because of IvX and the tv show. Meanwhile, I can't recall ever really knowing many Eternals fans

BANNED

That was only a brief thing, wasn't it? Tbf, I always found the whole enslavement thing unlikeable, but I think they got rid of that. But I don't remember people outright hating them except because of IvX and the tv show. Meanwhile, I can't recall ever really knowing many Eternals fans
    They got rid of the enslavement like long ago in the 70's though.
    And it's a very common thing now, people like to act as of no one ever liked the Inhumans and everyone always hated them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Maybe that was true at one point, but the MCU is the brand now. Doesn't matter if Eternals are Z listers, the MCU is at the point where they can make original superheroes not from the comics and it'd sell. But yeah, part of that is because of the connected shared universe.
    Unfortunately I think COVID is going to destroy Shang-Chi and the Eternals at the box office. Even without COVID I think they both would have a tough time as there are no plans for it to open in China. Black Widow really had an underwhelming box office internationally and that movie had more brand recognition. I like the MCU but it's going to be a tough sell especially in these times.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    They got rid of the enslavement like long ago in the 70's though.
    And it's a very common thing now, people like to act as of no one ever liked the Inhumans and everyone always hated them.
    Ok. So is this just due to the MCU, or also the feud with the X-Men?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    They can put their name on anything and it will be a hit - provided it's a film set in the MCU, not some red headed television step child.
    That's an interesting way to look at it. They can't sell comics, TV Shows, or animation on just their name alone, but they can sell movies that way.
    I mean no doubt about it, the brand definitely helps, but...

Invincible Member

Ha! I totally forgot this was coming out!

Invincible Member

Ok. So is this just due to the MCU, or also the feud with the X-Men?
    That "feud" is really just a thing with some hardcore X-Men fans online. Some folks were upset that Perlman wanted to push Inhumans as Marvel's next big franchise and they thought that somehow it was hurting the X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    That "feud" is really just a thing with some hardcore X-Men fans online. Some folks were upset that Perlman wanted to push Inhumans as Marvel's next big franchise and they thought that somehow it was hurting the X-Men.
    The Terrigen Cloud didn't help.

Ultimate Member

I understand not liking what happened to the X-Men, because it was wrong to marginalize them. I wouldn't take it out on the inhumans as a whole. Wanting "revenge" just seems petty and perpetuates fandom rivalries

BANNED

Did hard core X-MEN fans see it as a feud? Most of them found it seriously hard to take Inhumans to heart, it usually just felt more cringe and trying too hard whenever marvel were trying to drag xmen fans to read inhumans books.

However I fault Disney for this, because Disney did not do any research, if you are going to replace xmen in the marvel universe, you will need to replicate their universe also and this is not what Disney were primary interested about when they bought Marvel.
    Last edited by Castle; 08-22-2021 at 02:14 PM.