Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    That's an interesting way to look at it. They can't sell comics, TV Shows, or animation on just their name alone, but they can sell movies that way.
    I mean no doubt about it, the brand definitely helps, but...
    Brand helps financially, no doubt, but brand helping artistically? that is not that far less complex with marvel studios unlike other studios like WB or Sony because you dont know what you will get with those studios, As much as there are MCU or comic fans, casual film fans, kids, who will see Eternals because it is part of the MCU brand. You now have another group of film fans and comic fans and the Scorsese fan types ,who will have automatically written it off as a not ''serious director driven film'' all because it is part of the marvel brand.

The coin has more than one side. It's like Vegeta was saying, she knows the MCU Brand and does not expect this film to surprise her or be a breathe of fresh air as James Gunn SS 2. Can we say Vegeta points are not valid? I don't feel so. the hard lesson here is that A lot of the times, branding has many equal pros and cons.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Unfortunately I think COVID is going to destroy Shang-Chi and the Eternals at the box office. Even without COVID I think they both would have a tough time as there are no plans for it to open in China. Black Widow really had an underwhelming box office internationally and that movie had more brand recognition. I like the MCU but it's going to be a tough sell especially in these times.
    True, but I was talking more about non-pendemic times. Current times have really mucked things up.

That's an interesting way to look at it. They can't sell comics, TV Shows, or animation on just their name alone, but they can sell movies that way.
    I mean no doubt about it, the brand definitely helps, but...
    The movies are the proven track record and audience favorite, not the other stuff, so yeah.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    The movies are the proven track record and audience favorite, not the other stuff, so yeah.
    Ok, but again Inhumans was released as IMAX movie, so it should have been a hit. However, it under performed there.

Ok, but again Inhumans was released as IMAX movie, so it should have been a hit. However, it under performed there.
    I mean, why would I pay IMAX ticket prices for only the first two episodes of something I can watch on TV for free a few weeks later?

That IMAX release was never going to pull in a ton of money.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Astonishing Member

Do you remember the direct to video sequels to Disney classics that came out in the 90s? Return of Jafar, Pocahontas II, Lion King 2, etc? Audiences figured out pretty quickly that these were lower quality movies pumped out by a different animation house solely to make a quick buck off the Disney brand.

Marvel TV under Perlmutter and Loeb were doing pretty much the same thing. Inhumans was never budgeted, produced, marketed, or distributed as an MCU movie. Audiences could tell and had no interest in Inhumans. The fact that it was released only on IMAX screens simultaneously with its TV debut made sure no one ever confused it with the MCU movies.

Shang Chi, Eternals, NWH, none of these movies are going to make even close to pre-pandemic money. We have no idea where we would be at with the pandemic next year. Luckily they are having success on streaming. So they could just make their upcoming releases with streaming in mind.

It wasn't a movie, it was just an episode of a tv show that happened to get an IMAX release. You're trying to compare apples and oranges as if they were apples to apples.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Do you remember the direct to video sequels to Disney classics that came out in the 90s? Return of Jafar, Pocahontas II, Lion King 2, etc? Audiences figured out pretty quickly that these were lower quality movies pumped out by a different animation house solely to make a quick buck off the Disney brand.

Marvel TV under Perlmutter and Loeb were doing pretty much the same thing. Inhumans was never budgeted, produced, marketed, or distributed as an MCU movie. Audiences could tell and had no interest in Inhumans. The fact that it was released only on IMAX screens simultaneously with its TV debut made sure no one ever confused it with the MCU movies.
    To be fair, Return of Jafar was actually pretty darn good.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Shang Chi, Eternals, NWH, none of these movies are going to make even close to pre-pandemic money. We have no idea where we would be at with the pandemic next year. Luckily they are having success on streaming. So they could just make their upcoming releases with streaming in mind.
    This, sadly is true. The longer covid continues, and it very well could continue for another year or two if vaccine hesitancy and variants remains up like it has been, the more likely it is movies will be made with smaller budgets and with streaming in mind over traditional blockbuster models. I think Hollywood had continued thinking that the end is just right around the corner, the pandemic will be over by the time this or that film is released - the longer this remains ongoing, the more that thinking/hope will change.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    I mean, why would I pay IMAX ticket prices for only the first two episodes of something I can watch on TV for free a few weeks later?

That IMAX release was never going to pull in a ton of money.
    You're not wrong.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post

I don't disagree with any of this. But this helps my point which was that just slapping the Marvel name on something is not always a guarantee of success.

Invincible Member

It wasn't a movie, it was just an episode of a tv show that happened to get an IMAX release. You're trying to compare apples and oranges as if they were apples to apples.
    More like I'm comparing New Coke to Diet Coke Just having the Coke name on your drink doesn't mean people are going to like it

I don't disagree with any of this. But this helps my point which was that just slapping the Marvel name on something is not always a guarantee of success.
    But making an actual MCU film is. There's a clear difference - slapping Marvel or MCU on some tv thing, no dice. But an MCU movie these days, outside of covid concerns, is a guarantee of success. To say otherwise feels disingenuous. All the "exceptions" are clearly not MCU movies by Marvel Studios under Fiege.

Spectacular Member

But making an actual MCU film is. There's a clear difference - slapping Marvel or MCU on some tv thing, no dice. But an MCU movie these days, outside of covid concerns, is a guarantee of success. To say otherwise feels disingenuous. All the "exceptions" are clearly not MCU movies by Marvel Studios under Fiege.
    Yes, though not all successes are equal. Like Avengers/Big Three success is different than Ant Man and the Wasp success.

So I'm not sure what kind of success they are going for here. Eternals doesn't explicitly seem to tie into any of their immediate plans (i.e. multiverse, dark avengers, secret invasions), but at the same time the trailer is trying to give off an epic scope, and I dunno if it will deliver an epic box office.

I think focusing on the Deviants is a mistake, trailer-wise. They should have emphasized the size and power of the Celestials. Deviants just seem to be a handful of monsters, and that is hardly a threat justifying some epic tale.