Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default Have Dick Grayson & Wally West been the greatest beneficiaries post-Didio?

Dan Didio made no secret of his issues with those two characters, and unsurprisingly, those two have been given their best comics in decades following his departure.

However, are there any other characters whose treatment has benefited as much?

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Absolutely no question.

I still can't wrap my head around how a CEO's personal preference held sway over a publishing company.
    I would've thought you provide readers what they want and sell books - not cram your own personal agenda down their throats.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Dan Didio made no secret of his issues with those two characters, and unsurprisingly, those two have been given their best comics in decades following his departure.

Roy and Lian. They're alive.
    I'm still waiting for a proper Titans book.

After all the abuse that Didio put on them in his attempt to push his silver age agenda, both characters needed desperately all the help possible to recover.

Best comics following his departure? I'm sorry, are you saying that Taylor's Nightwing is better than Morrison's Batman & Robin, Snyder's Black Mirror and King's/Seeley's Grayson?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I'm sorry, are you saying that Taylor's Nightwing is better than Morrison's Batman & Robin, Snyder's Black Mirror and King's/Seeley's Grayson?
    I think Thomasis and Seeley's runs on Nightwing were as good as Taylor's.

And apart for the "Ric era" non of the post flashpoint Nightwing runs were really terrible (if you compare them to the pre flashpoint runs between Dixon and Thomasi).

Every NTT character suffered under Didio. Wally and Dick having solid ongoings is a nice change of pace for once. Even Roy looks to be getting rehabilitated as a character.

Lets hope it carries over to Donna, Raven and Beastboy as well. Is Starfire the only one who wasn't **** canned during this time?

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I think Thomasis and Seeley's runs on Nightwing were as good as Taylor's.

And apart for the "Ric era" non of the post flashpoint Nightwing runs were really terrible (if you compare them to the pre flashpoint runs between Dixon and Thomasi).
    Personally I also liked Seeley's Nightwing more than what we have now, but I could see this being debatable so I decided to ignore it since its not like we are short for "great Dick Grayson stories" in Didio's era.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Every NTT character suffered under Didio. Wally and Dick having solid ongoings is a nice change of pace for once. Even Roy looks to be getting rehabilitated as a character.

Lets hope it carries over to Donna, Raven and Beastboy as well. Is Starfire the only one who wasn't **** canned during this time?
    New 52 wrecked her
    She been playing den mother for a while
    Her solo was boring

Wow, this is super premature, considering the runs have only been going for a few issues and could still jump the shark. Saying that it was solely Didio ignores several other factors

No, Dick Grayson had some of his best stories under Didio. The Dick Grayson era got cut short because DC forced Morrison to bring Bruce back early. Then the New 52 kind of wrecked the Titan's history yada yada, and DC didn't know what to do for a while.

Wally was a victim of bringing Barry back and DC not knowing what to do with him. DC has this weird tendency of only promoting one hero and pushing down the other at times.

Best comics following his departure? I'm sorry, are you saying that Taylor's Nightwing is better than Morrison's Batman & Robin, Snyder's Black Mirror and King's/Seeley's Grayson?
    This. Let me see where Taylor is 25 issues from now, because he doesn't rank anywhere right now. Nice art team tho
    The J-man

As much as I enjoyed Morrison & Quietly's Batman & Robin, I think I am digging this more. I also really liked King & Seeley's Grayson, but I thought it petered out a bit by the end. And Scott Snyder's writing is something I have learned is not really to my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post

This. Let me see where Taylor is 25 issues from now, because he doesn't rank anywhere right now. Nice art team tho
    Absolutely, this could all go downhill quick, but, thus far, these are the best Dick & Wally comics I've read in decades. Your mileage may vary, but they're both working for me like gangbusters

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Wow, this is super premature, considering the runs have only been going for a few issues and could still jump the shark. Saying that it was solely Didio ignores several other factors

No, Dick Grayson had some of his best stories under Didio. The Dick Grayson era got cut short because DC forced Morrison to bring Bruce back early. Then the New 52 kind of wrecked the Titan's history yada yada, and DC didn't know what to do for a while.

Wally was a victim of bringing Barry back and DC not knowing what to do with him. DC has this weird tendency of only promoting one hero and pushing down the other at times.

We also got some of the worst Nightwing stories during that period as well. The Tarantula thing, Bludhaven getting blown up, Dick becoming Renegade, almost getting killed in Infinite Crisis, him jobbing during Batman title events (Batman RIP), all his leadership stints getting cut short and to top it all of; Ric Grayson. I think there was a tug of war during this period between creators who felt the character was irrelevant and tried to shunt him to the sidelines and creators who thought he could be the best hero in the DCU.

I don't see Dick's ongoings as criteria for his better treatment post-Didio but rather what Dick is doing outside of them. I think if Didio were still in charge, the Robin in Robin & Batman wouldn't be Dick, and Snyder would have never talked about a possible Black Label book.

Wonder Woman is in a better place right now too. It's just hard to tell whether that's because of Didio leaving or her 80th Anniversary. It could be a mix of both. I don't think a "mere" Anniversary would cause the Wonderfam to get so many titles and exposure at once, even if most of the titles are limited runs. The only titles Didio approved are Historia and Wonder Girl, but because Jones thought last October that she would only be writing a Yara Flor-mini, I guess the new leadership made it into an ongoing.

I think it's because the old guard had left us expecting a specific pattern. If the current books were coming out while the old guard was in charge I would definitely be dreading something like Ric Grayson, Berganza's Titans or Cry for Justice just around the corner. Look at how classic Wally West was brought back only to get thrown into Heroes In Crisis. But now that Didio and his ilk are gone we no longer know what to expect but the books we've been getting have actually been pretty good so that fuels the optimism.