Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default The MCU has their first Superman Analogue

hum, first? Thor, Vision and Captain America already embodied aspects of Superman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    hum, first? Thor, Vision and Captain America already embodied aspects of Superman.
    Not in terms of powerset.

Thor is his own thing or Captain Marvel.

Vision is MMH.

Cap is no flying brick with heat/laser vision.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I thought that same exact thing when I saw this. They changed the Eternals origin in the MCU establishing that they are in effect aliens that arrived on Earth 7,000 years ago. Their actual comic book origin holds that they are in fact one of the earliest species of Homo Sapiens experimented on by the Celestials. Not aliens, just an older, more advanced species. Ditto with the Deviants.

Oh well, I figured the MCU would screw up somewhere, somehow. "Eternals" just might be hubris calling.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

They already had one. Her name is Captain Marvel. She can even fly in space for an indefinite period of time. Making her more powerful than Superman.
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    They already had one. Her name is Captain Marvel. She can even fly in space for an indefinite period of time. Making her more powerful than Superman.
    Again, no vision powers and not male. She's a female Hal Jordan.

You don't need to have the exact same powerset as Superman to be an analogue of him. Captain America and Thor have been compared to Superman for decades and the latter was his counterpart back when Marvel and DC still did crossovers. Steve is viewed as a Superman counterpart due to their similar costume colors, moralities and positions of importance in-universe.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I thought that same exact thing when I saw this. They changed the Eternals origin in the MCU establishing that they are in effect aliens that arrived on Earth 7,000 years ago. Their actual comic book origin holds that they are in fact one of the earliest species of Homo Sapiens experimented on by the Celestials. Not aliens, just an older, more advanced species. Ditto with the Deviants.

Oh well, I figured the MCU would screw up somewhere, somehow. "Eternals" just might be hubris calling.
    I hope they somehow follow the comic book origins.

The trailer does show the Celestials (and it seems to hint that they instructed them not to interfere), so I suspect they had a hand in the creation of the Eternals.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    You don't need to have the exact same powerset as Superman to be an analogue of him. Captain America and Thor have been compared to Superman for decades and the latter was his counterpart back when Marvel and DC still did crossovers. Steve is viewed as a Superman counterpart due to their similar costume colors, moralities and positions of importance in-universe.
    It's pretty clear what's meant by analogue vs people like him in terms of personality.

Someone can deepfake one of the Clark Kent actors onto Richard Madden, and you have Superman action sequences. You can't do that with any other Marvel character.

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 08-19-2021 at 09:14 AM.

That really did look like Heat Vision.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It looks like they based it off of Captain Marvel's photon blasts as much as possible instead of recent Superman media's heat vision.

But it is hard to make eye lasers not look like heat vision, just ask Cyclopes.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Pretty sure Thor even explicitly wears a red cape because Kirby wanted to evoke Superman.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If I remember correctly, I think other Eternals (besides Ikaris) have laser eyes.

At least back in the day.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Pretty sure Thor even explicitly wears a red cape because Kirby wanted to evoke Superman.
    Red riding hood also has a red cape, but Shazam doesn't, so that's not on point. Clark also doesn't use a hammer.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 08-19-2021 at 10:31 AM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Red riding hood also has a red cape, but Shazam doesn't, so that's not on point. Clark also doesn't use a hammer.
    You're being exceptionally literal. Clark also doesn't speak with a Scottish accent and has black hair. If you're going to be pedantic, be pedantic both ways.

Thor, Cap (both Marvel and America) and Shazam are all Superman analgoues after a fashion. They just reference different qualities. Thor/Carol are "the big guy/gal" with the general flying brick powersets and some degree of energy attack. Captain America is the moral leader and progressive symbol of what's excellent about the American spirit, even when they're frustrated with their birth/adopted country. Shazam is simply Superman if piloted by a kid and without the sensory powers.

Vision may as well have all his powers save freeze breath. His hot laser just comes out of his forehead, not his eyes.

They're analogues, not equivalents.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.