Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

I agree with you both( the megaphone bit had me dying!)

Also I was trying to decide which character had the best transformation and I think it's definitely Beast Man's. They didn't need to go that hard!

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    I agree with you both( the megaphone bit had me dying!)

Also I was trying to decide which character had the best transformation and I think it's definitely Beast Man's. They didn't need to go that hard!
    Ironically He-Man probably has the most basic, but I guess that's just because his transformation is the most straightforward.

JUST finished it. Quite enjoyable. The little nods here and there are nice (shout out to Battle Bones) and Tuvar and Badra, didn't expect them at all in any capacity.

Left me wanting more. The finale felt more like the penultimate ep.

I dub this Skeletor, Chad Skeletor.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    JUST finished it. Quite enjoyable. The little nods here and there are nice (shout out to Battle Bones) and Tuvar and Badra, didn't expect them at all in any capacity.

Left me wanting more. The finale felt more like the penultimate ep.
    Yeah, it completely slipped my mind until near the end who they were supposed to be. The constant bickering should've been the first clue but I forgot the names of Two-Bad's heads .

I'm guessing Skeletor gets annoyed with them next season and uses Havoc to fuse them together. Maybe they're the Dark Master to match Ram-Ma'am.

I actually like this better than Revelations but Revelations is not complete yet.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

I watched it and thought it was fun. Making He-Man and his friends a third party separate both from Skeletor's minions and the King's forces was an interesting twist.

I liked the transformations, though I know those aren't everyone's cup of tea. He-Man's always been kind of part alternate world fantasy, part superhero (Conan meets Shazam, if you will). I remember when the 2002 version came out, they really leaned into the fantasy thing because it was shortly after the LotR movie came out. Here, with the powers being spread around and transformations and giving themselves creative names, I feel like it's really leaning into the superhero side.

I scoffed a little at first at the name Ram-Ma'am, but then I remembered this is the same franchise that gave characters names like Mecha-Neck, Buzz-Off and Scare Glow and got over it.

I like that they're really using Teela's connection to the Sorceress. I know others may not. I just don't remember them really doing anything with it in the last two versions of He-Man, so I'm glad someone finally did.

I'm a little iffier on their takes on Duncan and Cringer. But I see what they were going for. They're trying to play the Masters as more of a group of orphan kids with a lot of power trying to figure things out on their own (again, think Shazam. Especially the movie version). And they can't really do that if they have Papa Duncan in the group as an authority figure. So, instead they shifted the adult insight to Cringer who can be a voice of reason but not really a functional adult authority anywhere outside the Tiger Clan Village.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    I watched it and thought it was fun. Making He-Man and his friends a third party separate both from Skeletor's minions and the King's forces was an interesting twist.

I liked the transformations, though I know those aren't everyone's cup of tea. He-Man's always been kind of part alternate world fantasy, part superhero (Conan meets Shazam, if you will). I remember when the 2002 version came out, they really leaned into the fantasy thing because it was shortly after the LotR movie came out. Here, with the powers being spread around and transformations and giving themselves creative names, I feel like it's really leaning into the superhero side.
    They went through the Superhero staples of getting powers, codenames, a base, and becoming wanted fugitives.
    I scoffed a little at first at the name Ram-Ma'am, but then I remembered this is the same franchise that gave characters names like Mecha-Neck, Buzz-Off and Scare Glow and got over it.
    I think they should've used Mekanek in-place of their take on Duncan. If only to see how they'd make a guy extending his neck into something cool.
    I like that they're really using Teela's connection to the Sorceress. I know others may not. I just don't remember them really doing anything with it in the last two versions of He-Man, so I'm glad someone finally did.
    I'm fine with that. I don't think Teela needed to literally transform into the Sorceress and I prefer warrior Teela, but she looked cool transformed.

Also very Raven from Teen Titans-esque.
    I'm a little iffier on their takes on Duncan and Cringer. But I see what they were going for. They're trying to play the Masters as more of a group of orphan kids with a lot of power trying to figure things out on their own (again, think Shazam. Especially the movie version). And they can't really do that if they have Papa Duncan in the group as an authority figure. So, instead they shifted the adult insight to Cringer who can be a voice of reason but not really a functional adult authority anywhere outside the Tiger Clan Village.
    It definitely feels like they're leaning into the teen Superhero archetype of a bunch of outcast kids becoming a found family and getting powers from the same source. So everybody (but the cat) gets de-aged. It's just hard for me to take Duncan seriously at all knowing what he's actually supposed to be like.

Astonishing Member

Will Fisto make an appearance, the not so subtle nature of his configuration has been the butt of jokes for years!

I like the new Orko. Good show.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think they should've used Mekanek in-place of their take on Duncan. If only to see how they'd make a guy extending his neck into something cool.
    The typical configuration is the 3-man band on either side: He-Man, Man-At-Arms, Teela and then Skeletor, Beast Man, Evil-Lyn. Even though they brought in Beast Man late in the game, they weren't about to change that, they simply expanded it into the 5-Man Band setup (well 4 in their case)

Now, why they made Duncan so damn goofy I have no idea, but regardless he's always gonna be a mainstay. It did make me think there could be 5-Man Band setups as Team A, Team B, etc and Mekanek cold be a part of one of those teams.
    Last edited by Nate Grey; 09-20-2021 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Will Fisto make an appearance, the not so subtle nature of his configuration has been the butt of jokes for years!
    I wonder if they'd connect Fisto to Man-at-Arms like the 2002 cartoon did.
    I like the new Orko. Good show.
    I just wished Orko had interacted with Adam more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    The typical configuration is the 3-man band on either side: He-Man, Man-At-Arms, Teela and then Skeletor, Beast Man, Evil-Lyn. Even though they brought in Beast Man late in the game, they weren't about to change that, they simply expanded it into the 5-Man Band setup (well 4 in their case)

Now, why they made Duncan so damn goofy I have no idea, but regardless he's always gonna be a mainstay. It did make me think there could be 5-Man Band setups as Team A, Team B, etc and Mekanek cold be a part of one of those teams.
    Oh yeah, when you think of the core MoTU cast, you have to have Man-at-Arms. It's just skewing things to all the heroes save for the cat being teenagers kind of forced a major character and relationship revamp.

Astonishing Member

Oh yeah, when you think of the core MoTU cast, you have to have Man-at-Arms. It's just skewing things to all the heroes save for the cat being teenagers kind of forced a major character and relationship revamp.
    You know, he reminds me of that weird young version of Forge on Wolverine and the X-Men.

Now, playing the "What If" game . . . If they had kept the outlaw thing going longer, Man-at-Arms could have been the man inside the king's forces who thought He-Man could be trusted with the Power of Greyskull. The ally on the inside. Then you could have Teela as his daughter who's the same age as Adam and kind of on-the-fence about them. But then she can run away and join them in Season 2 as a way of learning about her connection to Grayskull. The problem is that cuts down He-Man's immediate team down by two members, removing both the tech guy and the mage as well as removing one of the few pre-existing female characters in the franchise.

I am enjoying this a lot more than "Revelations," which is odd since supposedly I was the target audience for the latter. (Haven't finished this yet though.) The theme song is a little too "Tarzan Boy" for my tastes though. Maybe I will warm up to it later, like I did with the cheesy "Avengers EMH" theme.

Skeletor always seems to steal the show in every incarnation. (Filmation, "New Adventures," the 200X MYP series.) Something about old bone face brings out the funny.

I like that Trap Jaw is pretty smart in this, and (imo) makes more sense as the villain's resident "tech guy" than Tri-Klops. Evil-Lyn is also great.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    I am enjoying this a lot more than "Revelations," which is odd since supposedly I was the target audience for the latter. (Haven't finished this yet though.) The theme song is a little too "Tarzan Boy" for my tastes though. Maybe I will warm up to it later, like I did with the cheesy "Avengers EMH" theme.
    "Fight as One" is glorious .

"Fight as One" is glorious .
    Originally, I found it cringy, but eventually I found myself singing along every week. ("Our world's about to break....")
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"