Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Teela. Unless that is just one good tan on her.

Man at Arms-maybe.

TBF black actors have voiced non-black characters before.

Blaster & Devastor from 80s Transformers-Buster Jones & Arthur Burghardt & Scatman Cruthers
    Turbo from Go-Bots-Arthur Burghardt, Shavar Ross & Buster Jones
    Destro from 80s GI Joe-Arthur Burghardt
    Knesha on 80s Ewoks along with Hello Kitty and Care *******Cree Summer (before she did a Different World)
    All say hi.
    Buster Jones was on Go-Bots!?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    TBF black actors have voiced non-black characters before.

Blaster & Devastor from 80s Transformers-Buster Jones & Arthur Burghardt & Scatman Cruthers
    Turbo from Go-Bots-Arthur Burghardt, Shavar Ross & Buster Jones
    Destro from 80s GI Joe-Arthur Burghardt
    Knesha on 80s Ewoks along with Hello Kitty and Care *******Cree Summer (before she did a Different World)
    All say hi.
    Don't forget James Avery as Shredder on TMNT, still my absolute favorite Shredder VA!
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Don't forget James Avery as Shredder on TMNT, still my absolute favorite Shredder VA!
    Succeeded on several counts by Kevin Michael Richardson in the 2K12 cartoon.

Astonishing Member

Am I the only one picking up the vibe that this is future Eternia and that these kids are maybe a new incarnation of the old characters? It's Orko especially. Not just the fact that he's a robot but the fact that he says something about "this feels like a story of old". Granted, if Skeletor is still Adam's Uncle Keldor, it does mean that new incarnations are sticking oddly close to the old ones.

Anyway, it looks fun. I know some people will be upset that it's not like the old show. But, as much as I loved the old He-Man as a child, the original cartoon looks like kind of a fixer-upper now. I've revisited it on Tubi and it's not even all that good by '80s cartoon standards. Anyway, I like the look of it. I like the idea of He-Man spreading the transformation mojo around past just himself and Cringer. I look forward to seeing how these new versions of the characters pan out (apparently, their Ram-Man inspired character is named Krass, which I have to applaud just because it sounds so much like "Crash", which is extremely appropriate). I look forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Am I the only one picking up the vibe that this is future Eternia and that these kids are maybe a new incarnation of the old characters? It's Orko especially. Not just the fact that he's a robot but the fact that he says something about "this feels like a story of old". Granted, if Skeletor is still Adam's Uncle Keldor, it does mean that new incarnations are sticking oddly close to the old ones.
    That's an interesting theory, although there's always Greyskull...
    Anyway, it looks fun. I know some people will be upset that it's not like the old show. But, as much as I loved the old He-Man as a child, the original cartoon looks like kind of a fixer-upper now. I've revisited it on Tubi and it's not even all that good by '80s cartoon standards. Anyway, I like the look of it. I like the idea of He-Man spreading the transformation mojo around past just himself and Cringer. I look forward to seeing how these new versions of the characters pan out (apparently, their Ram-Man inspired character is named Krass, which I have to applaud just because it sounds so much like "Crash", which is extremely appropriate). I look forward to it.
    I feel like I was spoiled getting introduced to the 2002 interpretation of the property instead of the 80's one .

I don't think every character needs to transform like He-Man, although I'm more concerned about Duncan's de-aging and Teela's redesign (like not even the race-bending but her design is so different because of the Sorceress aspect).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's an interesting theory, although there's always Greyskull...

I feel like I was spoiled getting introduced to the 2002 interpretation of the property instead of the 80's one .

I don't think every character needs to transform like He-Man, although I'm more concerned about Duncan's de-aging and Teela's redesign (like not even the race-bending but her design is so different because of the Sorceress aspect).
    The 2002 one was okay. Though, I know there's some people who thought it was too serious. There always seems to be some push-and-pull over what He-Man looked like it should be and what it actually was.

I didn't really think that was Teela. I just thought it was a more action-oriented take on the Sorceress. But if it is Teela, I'm glad they're dealing more directly with her connection to the Sorceress. She's the Sorceress's daughter/clone depending on who you ask. But none of the He-Man shows so far have dealt with it directly. So, kudos to Netflix for finally pulling that trigger.

The 2002 one was okay. Though, I know there's some people who thought it was too serious. There always seems to be some push-and-pull over what He-Man looked like it should be and what it actually was.
    I thought it was a good mix of serious and fun, which I feel like is a good combination for any cartoon .
    I didn't really think that was Teela. I just thought it was a more action-oriented take on the Sorceress. But if it is Teela, I'm glad they're dealing more directly with her connection to the Sorceress. She's the Sorceress's daughter/clone depending on who you ask. But none of the He-Man shows so far have dealt with it directly. So, kudos to Netflix for finally pulling that trigger.
    They're definitely being overt enough to have her transform into the Sorceress, basically, although I feel like that comes at the expense of some of Teela's uniqueness.

Sorceress is at the 1:02 mark and the 1:54 mark, and the one doing the voice over at the end. It appears she's a hologram though, probably something similar to the Jor-El A.I in Superman media. So she's there, it's just Teela is now the resident magic user of the team. I get the feeling Sorceress will now work in tandem with Orko for all things program-based.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Teela being black isn't hard to see at all. She featured very prominently in this trailer.

Teela being black would also mean Sorceress is black too.

They're both being voiced by Kimberly Brooks who is black.

She looks brown to me.

Do they actually use the concepts of the black and white races on Eternia?
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Extraordinary Member

I think the 2002 series pretty much the best we had sofar.

I would have preferred a speaking Cringer/Battle Cat and I would have preferred some of the designs to be closer to the original, but when it comes to tone and writing it pretty much nailed it imo. I think it is a show kids and old fans can enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And Teela is traditionally a redhead so...obviously black .
    Bwahahaha! Has the whole "redhead to black" thing happened enough that it is now it's own trope?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    She looks brown to me.

Do they actually use the concepts of the black and white races on Eternia?
    She's black. Black people are actually brown skinned in real life.

The creative intent is clear as the voice actress race matches the color of the character on screen.

As others have pointed out it's not always the case but it's quite clearly the case here.

Seriously, I'm not answering any further posts on this because what's on screen is clear.
    Last edited by Username taken; 08-22-2021 at 09:25 AM.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Trailer was m3h to me as is the concept. But the show is not made for me, and that is OK. I may check out the first ep just to see how it shakes out but I doubt I lose sleep over missing it entirely.

Geek / Gamer / Filmmaker / Indy Pro Wrestler
    @SebastionEnvi (Twitter/Instagram)
    youtube.com/SkunkLifeMedia

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Bwahahaha! Has the whole "redhead to black" thing happened enough that it is now it's own trope?

BANNED

Annie is black...RED Sonja is black....RED Sonja