Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Keeping track of all of Hickman's plot threads

(Inferno #4 Spoilers below)

Inferno is over, and Hickman is gone (for now?). I've redone this post to better portray what was resolved, what may be picked up, and what was dropped. I've also included some information we got from a recent interview Hickman gave, which gave us an idea of where some of his stories were going, and which he was unable to finish.

Done

1) Mars - Mars is now planet Arakko. It's just part of the new status quo.

2) Moira X - She was depowered in Inferno, and has left Krakoa. From a recent Hickman interview it seems she may come back in the future, but her role seems to be over for now.

3) Apocalypse - Apocalypse's role in Hickman's story was mainly X of Swords, and brining Arakko back. Inferno #3 gave us a glimpse of what other plans there were for him, but it's uncertain if it may still happen.

4) Doug "infecting" Krakoa - In Inferno it was revealed that this allowed him and Warlock to know everything that happens in Krakoa. Him being in a position of power seems like a new status quo for him.

5) Arakko - See Mars.

6) Hordeculture - I think their role in the story is over. They helped Orchis, and that seems to be it. They may show up again every now and then though.

7) Mystique/Destiny - I think their story is done, at least as part of the Moira X saga. They are now free to pursue their own interests in Krakoa.

8) Wanda making amends - After Trial of Magneto, Wanda has been redeemed to the mutants, as she helped them perfect their resurrection.

9) The Kara Kutuça - Apparently this was just some random mcguffin that was used to get Emma to help Mystique resurrect Destiny.

Unresolved, but we know almost for certain it will be picked up

1) Moira's 9th Life Chimeras - Sinister seemed to be working on Chimeras, but they were destroyed. We may still see more of it in Immortal X-Men.

2) Sinister's betrayal - He's still in the council, and Hellions showed he is still working with mutant DNA. Immortal X-Men will likely continue with his story.

3) Nimrod and Omega Sentinel - Same as Orchis, it looks like they represent a third faction in the conflict, and are becoming recurring antagonists. Appearing in X-Men.

4) Orchis - Still active after Inferno, it looks like they will be just a new recurring antagonists. Appearing in X-Men.

5) Princess/Empress Xandra - She briefly appeared in SWORD, and she will probably show up in X-Men Red.

6) The Phalanx/Dominions - From a recent Hickman interview we know this was seeded for an Imperial Guard book that was dropped. Since Sunspot is joining X-Men Red, and SWORD had some small phalanx mention, this may end up in X-Men Red.

7) Vulcan/Gabriel Summers - Hickman was planning a Vulcan story, but he didn't manage to finish it. X-Men Red will include Vulcan.

Unresolved. Someone will probably pick this up, but we don't know when, where or who

1) Homo Novissima/Post-Humans - It's unlikely we will see anything about them, unless we go into the far future.

2) The Children of the Vault - Inferno #3 teased that they would be back, but we don't know if it will still happen. Maybe in Duggan's X-Men?

3) Broo commands the Brood - Vita briefly mentioned this in New Mutants, but it's not clear if it will continue.

Dropped. It seems unlikely that someone else will pick it up.

1) Franklin Richards - Dan Slott retconned his status as a mutant. It may not be forever, but it looks permanent for now.

2) The Sidri - According to Hickman, Giant-sized X-Men was a mess, and this will likely not go anywhere.

3) The key Magneto got from those sea witches - See above.

4) The sentient being inside the world - See above.

5) Kurt's Mutant Religion - Way of X explored this, but barely. Legion of X may go into Kurt's story, but the religion part seems to have been dropped.

7) The mutant kidnapped by AIM - One unknown mutant was kidnapped by AIM in the X-Men Unlimited Comic.
    Last edited by Viteh; 01-06-2022 at 11:27 AM.

Mighty Member

I hate the recon to Franklin Richards I wish he was still a mutant.

One thing I liked about Hickman is he has this way of showing everyone as kinda close to the bad side. Like Osiris having plans to get stronger to surpass the humans and the mutants trying to sabotage the humans from getting stronger for fear of their power. It’s that both sides have a problem with the other side having power and I like dynamics like that. I just hope whoever takes over has the subtly of Hickman to make these grey areas

Spectacular Member

i think the franklin thing is a red herring

if hickman wants frankin to be a mutant, he's going to be a mutant down the road for his story. he already wrote adult franklin in his F4 run

it's not a dropped point yet

This is awesome. I forgot about some of these.

I think we’re going to see a lot of Orchis in Inferno especially after seeing the solicits today. I really hope Hickman has something in the works for the Phallanx plot, that one really was super high concept and I would love to see it play out. After those threads I’m next most interested in Homo Novissima and the CoTV which I think will be tied together and finally the last thing I want Hickman to tackle personally is the World plot. Ideally I’d like to see all these threads resolved but I think the other threads can be picked up by other writers and have a satisfactory conclusion.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Sure are a lot of plots. I’m only reading x-men, so I can’t really follow what’s going on, but what exactly is going on with Moira’s story? She’s a mutant immortal or something? And this whole subplot with mystique and destiny is going to come back to bite the X-men. How many of them actually know about Moira’s ability? I’m sure Charles does. And what’s going on with Doug and warlock?

Hickman apparently not finishing his run the way he originally planned seems like a bit of both good and bad. Presumably, the end of this story would've had some kind of reset back to a more traditional status quo for the X-Men; however, the popularity of this era seems to have extended it beyond that specific way of ending things, and because I like this era, I don't mind...

Except my HOPE is that Hickman can find ways of tying up loose ends that still make sense, while still leaving the future open for more Krakoan-era stories.

Considering what we know about the The Phalanx and the idea of Dominions, I'm personally most intrigued by Doug potentially infecting Krakoa and how that might be connected. I'd hate for something like that be forgotten because it belongs to an ending we're no longer going to get.

-Pav, who appreciates the OP creating this list...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Sure are a lot of plots. I’m only reading x-men, so I can’t really follow what’s going on, but what exactly is going on with Moira’s story? She’s a mutant immortal or something? And this whole subplot with mystique and destiny is going to come back to bite the X-men. How many of them actually know about Moira’s ability? I’m sure Charles does. And what’s going on with Doug and warlock?
    Her mutant ability is to rewind time until her birth, keeping all of her memories from her previous lives. So she basically gets to restart reality every time she dies.

Xavier and Magneto definitely know about it. Marauders implied that Emma knows.

Doug and Warlock have been kinda just there, there was the infecting back in HoXPoX, but that's it.

Very nice! Will definitely have to revisit after Inferno comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    I hate the recon to Franklin Richards I wish he was still a mutant.
    The one I was looking forward to the most (and frankly, I'm really surprised no one else among the X-Writers feels this way) was the Phalanx/Dominion angle. That's a scale on par with the Council of Reeds for the FF and the Incursions for the Avengers. And I'd be willing to be that the original plans likely would have included Franklin anyway because of that cosmic scale.

Astonishing Member

Was the Onslaught plot point created by Hickman? It's pretty big as well

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    We don’t know. It could be Si’s idea and therefore remain pretty much confined to his book or, if the idea was Hickman’s, it could spill over into the wider X-line.
    It depends if the pitch for Way of X was ‘we want Kurt to explore mutant religion, have at it’ or ‘we want Kurt to explore mutant religion and Onslaught is the Deus ex Machina as to why the resurrections are going to have to be limited.’

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    Huh, I forgot about this. Mmm, Hickman did reference Onslaught when he showed Moira's diaries, but not by name. I'm not sure if this means he intended for Onslaught to be brought back, or if it was just him trying to work Onslaught into his retcon. I'm leaning towards the latter, I think it's Si Spurrier's idea to have Onslaught actually show up.

Having said that, this did remind me that Kurt's mutant religion is a Hickman plot. Also I realized that Wanda wanting to make amends is also a Hickman plot.

I'm adding these here since the original post maxed out.

22) Kurt's Mutant Religion - This plot thread seems to have been picked up by Si Spurrier in Way of X

In X-Men #7 Kurt talks with Scott about what Crucible means for them as a culture, and then he decides that he needs to start a mutant religion.

I don't think we'll see anything related to this in Inferno, unless we get some sort of future flashforward and we see what it turned into. In Moira's 9th life some of the mutants did seem to have a religion, or at the very least the belief in some myths.

Relevant issues: X-Men #7, All of Way of X

23) Wanda making amends - Done, in Trial of Magneto

In X-Men #7, we see what the mutants in Krakoa think and teach about Wanda Maximoff, the Scarlet Witch. They call her the "pretender".

In X-Men: Empyre we find out that Wanda wants to make up for everything she did to the mutants. Her plan was to resurrect all of the mutants in Genosha, which backfires and creates zombies.

Wanda then shows up in Krakoa, meets with Magneto, who seems to still care about her like a daughter. Wanda killed herself, and was resurrected by the Five. This allowed her to create a "Waiting Room" for mutants, meaning that even mutants that were lost to Cerebro could be resurrected.

She is no longer The Pretender, but The Redeemer.

Relevant issues: X-Men #7, All of X-Men Empyre, All of Trial of Magneto

24) The Kara Kutuça - It has been brought up in Inferno

In X-Men #21 during the Hellfire Gala, Emma talks with some secret civilization about obtaining the contents of the Kara Kutuça, a box of some kind.

In Inferno #2 it's mentioned again, as Mystique stole it and gave it to Emma in order to secure her vote in the Quiet Council. It's not known why Emma wanted it.

Relevant issues: X-Men #21, Inferno #2
    Last edited by Viteh; 12-29-2021 at 10:42 AM.

Forcefields for everyone! sallyblevins's Avatar

I think that the 10th was explained that warlock was not infecting Krakoa just Drain some plants for energy…

Quote Originally Posted by sallyblevins View Post
    I think that the 10th was explained that warlock was not infecting Krakoa just Drain some plants for energy…
    Oh, I don't recall that, do you remember where that was explained?