Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Keeping track of all of Hickman's plot threads

(Inferno #1 Spoilers below)

Now that we know Hickman is leaving after Inferno, it's likely that not all of his plot threads will be resolved in Inferno. So I want to make a list of every seed he planted.

1) Orchis - They are in Inferno

Orchis is a global human organisation with the sole purpose of stopping the mutants from replacing them.

While their presence has been contained mostly to Hickman's books, they have been seen in non-Hickman books recently, so it's likely they will continue to act as antagonists for the foreseeable future, even after Inferno.

Relevant issues: House of X #1, #3, #4, X-Men #1, #6, #20 Inferno #1.

2) Mars - Done, for the most part

In HoX #1, when Magneto is giving the ambassadors a tour, there's one gateway with "MARS" written in Krakoan.

We learn that Mars was a mutant territory in Powers of X #1, in Moira's 9th life. The implication here being that Mars will also be annexed in Moira's 10th life.

It Planet-Sized X-Men #1 we see Krakoa and Arakko's Omega mutants work together to terraform Mars, and they name it Planet Arakko.

Similarly to Krakoa as a mutant nation, this seems to be a new status quo, and there's no clear "endgame" for Mars.

Relevant issues: Planet Sized X-Men #1

3) Franklin Richards - Dropped

In Incoming! #1, we see a small story about Sinister's DNA collection, and he mentions he is interested in acquiring Franklin's DNA.

We had a mini about Franklin last year, it ended with him spending time in Krakoa and bonding with the other young mutants.

However, Dan Slott decided to retcon him into not being a mutant, so any plans Hickman had for Franklin were likely scrapped.

Relevant issues: House of X #1, Incoming! #1, All of X-Men+Fantastic Four, Fantastic Four #26.

4) Moira's 9th Life Chimeras - Maybe in Inferno? Or Hellions?

Particularly Cardinal and Rasputin. It was somewhat implied we may see them again.

In Hellions we find out Sinister is working on Chimeras already, as predicted by Moira, so we may see some version of them in the current timeline even without Hickman.

Relevant issues: Powers of X #2 - 3

5) Nimrod - Inferno will likely tie up this plot thread

He is in both Moira's 9th life, and in Moira's 6th life. Moira and Apocalypse see him as what makes the humans too strong for the mutants. They devise a plan to prevent his creation.

This plan is put into place in the current timeline, but as we saw in X-Men #20, Nimrod came online anyway.

Given how present he was in Moira's previous lives, he will likely play a role in Inferno.

Relevant issues: House of X #1, #3, #4, Powers of X #1 - 3, X-Men #1, #6, #20, Inferno #1.

6) Homo Novissima/Post-Humans - There may be some mention of them in Inferno, but won't be tied up completely

In Moira's 6th life, 1000 years into the future, we see that humans used technology to improve themselves and that's how they defeated the mutants.

Eventually the humans want to become part of the Phalanx, to become some sort of machine-god.

Relevant issues: Powers of X #1 - 6

7) Moira X - We will definitely see her in Inferno

We learn that she is a mutant who restarts a timeline every time she dies. This is her 10th life.

There's a lot going on with Moira that we do not know. In Powers of X #6 we read some of her diaries, with important bits redacted. She also has Destiny's diaries.

Relevant issues: All of House of X and Powers of X, in particular House of X #2 and Powers of X #6, Inferno #1.

8) Apocalypse - Mostly done? I guess he could come back in Inferno, but it seems unlikely

Apocalypse is introduced to the story as a big part of Moira's 9th life. He basically lead the mutants, and was killed by Nimrod.

In the present timeline, he is what brings Arakko into the story, and what leads to X of Swords. He is now in Amenth with his wife and kids, and while it was said he would come back, it was also said this wouldn't happen soon.

Relevant issues: Powers of X #3, X-Men #2, #12 and all of X Of Swords.

9) Sinister - I don't think we will see much of him in Inferno. It looks like Wells has taken over his story.

We know he betrayed the mutants in Moira's 9th life, and Moira was against joining with him in this life.

As seen in a recent Hellions issue, he is already working on Chimeras.

Relevant issues: Powers of X #2, #4, all of Hellions

10) Doug "infecting" Krakoa - This was brought up again in Inferno

We see Doug touch some plants in Krakoa with his Warlock arm, which makes the plants look techno-organic.

In X-Men we briefly see Warlock, it sort of seemed like a secret, but later on he is out in the open. So whatever Doug was planning wasn't about hiding Warlock.

It seems like the hand thing was just Warlock, and he can exist within Krakoa too?

Relevant issues: Powers of X #4, X-Men #7, Giant Size X-Men #2, Inferno #1

11) The Phalanx/Dominions - I do expect to see something related to them in Inferno, as they were a big part of HoXPoX

The Phalanx are basically super computers made up of more super computers. In Moira's 6th life we learn that the future humans want to become part of them.

It's implied that they would not like the fact that Moira exists. However it's unclear if they really know of her existence.

Relevant issues: Powers of X #4 - 6

12) The Children of the Vault - Not really related to Moira, so I don't think we'll see them in Inferno

The Children of the Vault were reintroduced in Hickman's X-Men run. They work similarly to Homo Novissima, so they are seen as a threat to the X-Men.

The X-Men's plan was to infiltrate the Vault, learn about them and then come up with a new plan. This somewhat backfires, when they captured Darwin and used him to evolve even further.

While this plot has only been in Hickman's books, it may end up being used by someone else later on.

Relevant issues: X-Men #1, #5, #18 - 19

13) Arakko - Done for the most part, while they will likely play a role in future storylines, I think their part in Hickman's story is over

See Apocalypse's entry.

14) Hordeculture - They showed up again in Inferno, helping Orchis

Some old ladies who could manipulate Krakoa. Introduced in X-Men, and dealt with in the Empyre mini.

They reappear in Inferno #1, they sold Orchis code to track the use of Krakoan gates.

Relevant issues: X-Men #3, X-Men Empyre, Inferno #1.

15) Mystique/Destiny - We will definitely see this in Inferno

In House of X we learn that Destiny killed Moira in her third life, and saw her future. Because of this, Moira doesn't want any pre-cogs in Krakoa.

Mystique has asked several times for Destiny to be resurrected, but she has been denied.

It looks like Destiny has been resurrected.

Relevant issues: House of X #2, X-Men #6, #20, Inferno #1.

16) Princess/Empress Xandra - Not really related to Moira, so I don't think we'll see her in Inferno

She's mentioned in Moira's 9th life, and we see her in the current timeline as well.

Clearly Hickman had some plans for how the Shiar would factor in his story, but I guess this will have to be picked up later on.

Relevant issues: New Mutants #1 - 2, #5, #7, X-Men #17

17) Broo commands the Brood - It looks like Vita is gonna use this in New Mutants

Broo ate the King Egg and now commands the Brood. The X of Swords handbook mentions Broo, so it's likely that him and the Brood were going to take the place of the aliens from Cable.

Update: It looks like Vita is picking up this thread.

Relevant issues: X-Men #8 - 9, New Mutants #21

18) Vulcan/Gabriel Summers - Another plot thread that will likely be concluded by someone else

Vulcan has been resurrected and is pretty well behaved. In X-Men we find out that his real self was hidden by some beings from another universe. In X-Men #10 he almost comes out but then Petra and Sway showing up calms him down.

Relevant issues: X-Men #8, #10

19) The Sidri - This may or may not be picked up by someone else

The Sidri are the bug-like aliens that made their home in the X-Mansion and kidnapped Lady Mastermind.

Their nest is still there, and Doug does say it may be a problem.

Relevant issues: Giant Size X-Men #2

20) The key Magneto got from those sea witches - Another plot thread that may or may not be picked up by someone else

In Giant Sized X-Men #3 Magneto meets with Namor to buy an island (which is later used for the Hellfire Gala), he takes some key from some sea creatures.

Relevant issues: Giant Size X-Men #3

21) The sentient being inside the world - Another plot thread that may or may not be picked up by someone else

Inside the World, Storm is separated from the virus the CotV infected her with. The temporal forces of the World cause it to evolve, but it's contained by Ned, the AIM guy.

However in the Epilogue Doug talks to the being, who is sentient now, and says that they will see each other again.

Relevant issues: Giant Size X-Men #5
    Last edited by Viteh; 09-29-2021 at 08:46 AM.

Incredible Member

I hate the recon to Franklin Richards I wish he was still a mutant.

One thing I liked about Hickman is he has this way of showing everyone as kinda close to the bad side. Like Osiris having plans to get stronger to surpass the humans and the mutants trying to sabotage the humans from getting stronger for fear of their power. It’s that both sides have a problem with the other side having power and I like dynamics like that. I just hope whoever takes over has the subtly of Hickman to make these grey areas

Amazing Member

i think the franklin thing is a red herring

if hickman wants frankin to be a mutant, he's going to be a mutant down the road for his story. he already wrote adult franklin in his F4 run

it's not a dropped point yet

This is awesome. I forgot about some of these.

I think we’re going to see a lot of Orchis in Inferno especially after seeing the solicits today. I really hope Hickman has something in the works for the Phallanx plot, that one really was super high concept and I would love to see it play out. After those threads I’m next most interested in Homo Novissima and the CoTV which I think will be tied together and finally the last thing I want Hickman to tackle personally is the World plot. Ideally I’d like to see all these threads resolved but I think the other threads can be picked up by other writers and have a satisfactory conclusion.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Sure are a lot of plots. Iím only reading x-men, so I canít really follow whatís going on, but what exactly is going on with Moiraís story? Sheís a mutant immortal or something? And this whole subplot with mystique and destiny is going to come back to bite the X-men. How many of them actually know about Moiraís ability? Iím sure Charles does. And whatís going on with Doug and warlock?

Hickman apparently not finishing his run the way he originally planned seems like a bit of both good and bad. Presumably, the end of this story would've had some kind of reset back to a more traditional status quo for the X-Men; however, the popularity of this era seems to have extended it beyond that specific way of ending things, and because I like this era, I don't mind...

Except my HOPE is that Hickman can find ways of tying up loose ends that still make sense, while still leaving the future open for more Krakoan-era stories.

Considering what we know about the The Phalanx and the idea of Dominions, I'm personally most intrigued by Doug potentially infecting Krakoa and how that might be connected. I'd hate for something like that be forgotten because it belongs to an ending we're no longer going to get.

-Pav, who appreciates the OP creating this list...
    2021 Marvel Monthlies
    X-Men, X-Force, New Mutants, Way of X, Marauders, Excalibur, Sword, Runaways, Strange Academy
    2021 Marvel Minis
    Taskmaster, U.S.Agent, Beta Ray Bill, Iron Fist: Heart of the Dragon, America Chavez, Black Knight

Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my middle school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Sure are a lot of plots. I’m only reading x-men, so I can’t really follow what’s going on, but what exactly is going on with Moira’s story? She’s a mutant immortal or something? And this whole subplot with mystique and destiny is going to come back to bite the X-men. How many of them actually know about Moira’s ability? I’m sure Charles does. And what’s going on with Doug and warlock?
    Her mutant ability is to rewind time until her birth, keeping all of her memories from her previous lives. So she basically gets to restart reality every time she dies.

Xavier and Magneto definitely know about it. Marauders implied that Emma knows.

Doug and Warlock have been kinda just there, there was the infecting back in HoXPoX, but that's it.

Very nice! Will definitely have to revisit after Inferno comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    I hate the recon to Franklin Richards I wish he was still a mutant.
    The one I was looking forward to the most (and frankly, I'm really surprised no one else among the X-Writers feels this way) was the Phalanx/Dominion angle. That's a scale on par with the Council of Reeds for the FF and the Incursions for the Avengers. And I'd be willing to be that the original plans likely would have included Franklin anyway because of that cosmic scale.

Astonishing Member

Was the Onslaught plot point created by Hickman? It's pretty big as well

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    We don’t know. It could be Si’s idea and therefore remain pretty much confined to his book or, if the idea was Hickman’s, it could spill over into the wider X-line.
    It depends if the pitch for Way of X was ‘we want Kurt to explore mutant religion, have at it’ or ‘we want Kurt to explore mutant religion and Onslaught is the Deus ex Machina as to why the resurrections are going to have to be limited.’

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    Huh, I forgot about this. Mmm, Hickman did reference Onslaught when he showed Moira's diaries, but not by name. I'm not sure if this means he intended for Onslaught to be brought back, or if it was just him trying to work Onslaught into his retcon. I'm leaning towards the latter, I think it's Si Spurrier's idea to have Onslaught actually show up.

Having said that, this did remind me that Kurt's mutant religion is a Hickman plot. Also I realized that Wanda wanting to make amends is also a Hickman plot.

I'm adding these here since the original post maxed out.

22) Kurt's Mutant Religion - This plot thread seems to have been picked up by Si Spurrier in Way of X

In X-Men #7 Kurt talks with Scott about what Crucible means for them as a culture, and then he decides that he needs to start a mutant religion.

I don't think we'll see anything related to this in Inferno, unless we get some sort of future flashforward and we see what it turned into. In Moira's 9th life some of the mutants did seem to have a religion, or at the very least the belief in some myths.

Relevant issues: X-Men #7, All of Way of X

23) Wanda making amends - It looks like we will see the resolution of this plot in Trial of Magneto

In X-Men #7, we see what the mutants in Krakoa think and teach about Wanda Maximoff, the Scarlet Witch. They call her the "pretender".

In X-Men: Empyre we find out that Wanda wants to make up for everything she did to the mutants. Her plan was to resurrect all of the mutants in Genosha, which backfires and creates zombies.

Wanda then shows up in Krakoa, meets with Magneto, who seems to still care about her like a daughter. Later in that night she is murdered, and Magneto is the prime suspect.

Relevant issues: X-Men #7, All of X-Men Empure, All of Trial of Magneto

Forcefields for everyone! sallyblevins's Avatar

I think that the 10th was explained that warlock was not infecting Krakoa just Drain some plants for energy…

Quote Originally Posted by sallyblevins View Post
    I think that the 10th was explained that warlock was not infecting Krakoa just Drain some plants for energy…
    Oh, I don't recall that, do you remember where that was explained?