Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default KING SHARK appreciation thread! 2021

Pretty amazing that a character like King Shark has had such a wide variety of great interpretations.

Nanaue aka King Shark is the son of Lord Chondrakha, the "god of all sharks". First appeared as a Superboy villain in 1994. Then made sporadic and not very memorable appearances throughout the DCU for a number of years.

Not much was done with King until Gail Simone added him to her Secret Six roster. She fleshed out his character and is a big reason why the he's had such a resurgence.

Comedian Ron Funches voices King Shark on the Harley Quinn animated series.

Than of course Sylvestor Stallone voiced him in James Gunn's The Suicide Squad.

King Shark will be a playable character in the upcoming Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League video game.

That was actually the Green Lantern villain The Shark.

Ah right thanks. I get the two mixed up.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    Ah right thanks. I get the two mixed up.
    That's so racist :P

Nanaue aka King Shark is the son of Lord Chondrakha, the "god of all sharks". First appeared as a Superboy villain in 1994.
    I really liked his intro story. Seemed like a great villain. Was sorry to see Superboy lose him. But then, I was sorry to see him leave Hawaii, and the shark villain doesn't work as well in all locations for a land-based hero.

Incredible Member

King Shark.jpg

I loved King Shark's appearances in Dan Abnett's Aquaman run, where he was basically becoming the Kingpin of Atlantis' Ninth Tride. Though hopefully (with the help of Death Metal/ Infinite Frontier) he'll be back to his "Great White" form and not his New 52 "Hammerhead" form.

Anyone get the first issue of his first ever mini?
    Tim Seeley and Scott Kolins did a bang up job.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Multiverse View Post
    King Shark.jpg

I loved King Shark's appearances in Dan Abnett's Aquaman run, where he was basically becoming the Kingpin of Atlantis' Ninth Tride. Though hopefully (with the help of Death Metal/ Infinite Frontier) he'll be back to his "Great White" form and not his New 52 "Hammerhead" form.
    Man, how many different takes are there with King Shark?

King Shark.jpg

I liked the hammerhead look at the time as it helped to differentiate King Shark from other humanoid shark characters. But the Harley Quinn show and The Suicide Squad have convinced me that the great white look is the way to go.

I have no idea how they managed to make him look so adorable in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I have no idea how they managed to make him look so adorable in the movie.
    I think the dad bod helped. He wasn’t built like in the comics or the CW version, both of which are really muscular. He was more like the cartoon version, kinda chubby!

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Gail Simone's version is still my favorite followed by Gunn's adaptation. Haven't watched the HQ cartoon.

Incredible Member

King Shark.jpg

I loved King Shark's appearances in Dan Abnett's Aquaman run, where he was basically becoming the Kingpin of Atlantis' Ninth Tride.
    Me too. That was awesome. I liked that while he was still very much a bad guy (i.e. only motivated by self-interest), he was smart enough to work with Aquaman and co against mutual enemies.

I love how realistic he looked in the movie.