Default The Mule vs The Bene Gesserit

The Mule of Isaac Asimov's Foundation series arrives in the Dune universe, and seeks to completely dominate the Empire. His first target - the planet Wallach IX and the Bene Gesserit.
    He starts off amassing followers, tech, and power for a few years.

Can he topple the matriarchal society of psychic women warriors with the powers of the Voice with his own psychic empathic powers?

I havent read Foundation in 25 years while i reread Dune a lot. It's my fave classic sci fi novel.

But i wanna call this for the Mule for some reason. He was a genius and his powers in setting were damn scary.

The Bene Gesserit don't have psi powers as per classic definition except for Precognition and complete body control, so his telepathy would really hit them for a whammy, give him a few years prep too and i could see him taking it. It depends on whether the BG are blind to him the way the Foundation was.
    Last edited by Muadib; 08-21-2021 at 10:23 AM.

Astonishing Member

Yeah Mule throwing the Bene Gesserit for a loop the same way he did the Foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by Muadib View Post
    The Bene Gesserit don't have psi powers as per classic definition except for Precognition and complete body control, so his telepathy would really hit them for a whammy, give him a few years prep too and i could see him taking it. It depends on whether the BG are blind to him the way the Foundation was.
    If the Bene Gesserit do find out about him quickly, and try to parlay with him, would their Voice power work on him? Isn't that supposed to their main form of psychic manipulation?

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sophicles View Post
    If the Bene Gesserit do find out about him quickly, and try to parlay with him, would their Voice power work on him? Isn't that supposed to their main form of psychic manipulation?
    I kinda don't think it would work on Mule. He seems a few levels beyond the BG. I place their manipulation level around Jedi levels - works on idiots, fails on anyone with a strong will, to the point that they really won't even try it in that situation.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Spectacular Member

The Second Foundation have manipulative powers greater than the BG and even the First Speaker needed to lower the Mule's defenses for his powers to work on him.

Suppose the Bene Gesserit sent a Reverend Mother to seduce the Mule, make him fall in love, become his wife, and slowly manipulate him this way? Could it work, or is the Mule too much of a hard case?

I'm thinking about what the Tleilaxu and Ixians did to Leto II when they created Hwi Noree to make Leto II fall in love. Might a scheme like that work on the Mule?

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

I doubt that would work. The Mule isn't immortal for one, so they don't really have time to plan that, and he's probably too prescient to let that happen. He'd figure out what's up.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Spectacular Member

The Mule will sense the Reverend Mother's fraudulent affections long even before she can get started. Plus being sterile he'll probably come to think of such a relationship as pointless like he did with Bayta Darell.